Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

College tour 2016

College tour 2016

Old Feb 18, 2016, 3:09 pm

The daughter of one of my husband's colleagues goes to uni in London and absolutely loves it, so much so that the daughter of another of their colleagues is now seriously considering it. If she is really serious about it, she may indeed love it, but the visit should help determine how serious she actually is.
Old Feb 18, 2016, 9:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, HH Gold, AA Gold, UA3P, DL proletariat, proud Costco Executive member
My son is a second semester fresher at St. Andrews, and loves it. The town is charming, and campus life, robust. At Christmas, he remarked how far away it is from home. He said there's no place else he'd rather be! As mentioned upthread, the availability of affordable travel opportunities abound as well. He's already been to Switzerland and France, and will head off to Romania at spring break. As he says, Ryanair rocks! Good luck to your daughter!
Old Feb 23, 2016, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flatlander
Excellent, you'll have a great journey in J in the 77W. Try for the mini-cabin at the front of the aircraft (rows 3-4) and don't forget about the AA arrivals lounge for a shower and additional breakfast.

I think going for the overseas study experience is a fine plan. Good luck for your trip.
Yes, we love the mini cabin, we were in it last Easter on more SWU's. Our layover before the BA EDI flight is very short, so no showers for us.
Old Feb 23, 2016, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by L1011toHNL
My son is a second semester fresher at St. Andrews, and loves it. The town is charming, and campus life, robust. At Christmas, he remarked how far away it is from home. He said there's no place else he'd rather be! As mentioned upthread, the availability of affordable travel opportunities abound as well. He's already been to Switzerland and France, and will head off to Romania at spring break. As he says, Ryanair rocks! Good luck to your daughter!
Glad to hear he loves it. I expect the weather is a bit less of a shock to his system than it would be to my daughter. I'm excited to see where she ends up.

PS I love FT. People we know here look at us like we are insane if we mention the UK for college, on FT everyone is so supportive and thinks its a great option.
Old Feb 24, 2016, 7:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
Glad to hear he loves it. I expect the weather is a bit less of a shock to his system than it would be to my daughter. I'm excited to see where she ends up.

PS I love FT. People we know here look at us like we are insane if we mention the UK for college, on FT everyone is so supportive and thinks its a great option.
That's the great thing about travel,it broadens the mind.
My eldest is at University in Brighton and shares a hall with three American students,an Indian and two Australians.
They appear to have a great social life and all enjoy being in the company of people from different countries.
The availability of low-cost airlines out of nearby LGW means they can get around Europe easily and cheaply.
Go for it.
Old Oct 29, 2016, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

We are three weeks away from the trip and little has changed except instead of narrowing down her four choices she added Durham! App is in to all 5 and official interviews and visits are scheduled at St. A and Durham, which are her top 2 choices. The other universities we may just do informal walk arounds and she may drop visiting Bath altogether as it isn't on the direct north/south itinerary.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 2:00 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Durham is a stunning little city - the view of the cathedral and castle from the station is really impressive.

It's a properly collegiate university, meaning that the experience will be very different depending on the college attended. They also attract different types of people - worth checking in advance. The prettiest colleges aren't necessarily the ones you want to attend...
Old Oct 30, 2016, 2:46 am

I think what stut is perhaps hinting at is that some colleges may be especially known for attracting posh [mod edit]cads and bounders[/mod edit] although that can I think be said for Durham and St Andrews in general. Some colleges may also be more sporty, lefty or whatever it may be.

I think as an American your daughter would notice the differences a lot less than a native Brit, but it's still worth reading up on the perceived 'vibe'. Wherever she chooses I'm sure she'll have a fantastic time - SoCal girls are always popular on these shores.

Last edited by stut; Oct 30, 2016 at 12:39 pm Reason: Updating an insult to what I'm sure the poster meant...
Old Oct 30, 2016, 4:31 am

I went to Edinburgh and was in between that and StA. At the time I was in boarding school so felt StA. was too small. In retrospect I always regretted the decision. Though I did meet my partner there. I graduated 10 years ago but nothing has changed there... I'd also argue StA could be more conducive to studying. Edinburgh does have a more varied nighttime life.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 2:10 pm

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
[mod edit]cads and bounders[/mod edit]
Ha, I've literally never heard that expression before, but I trust it means what I meant
Old Oct 30, 2016, 2:39 pm

Programs: BA Silver
I really wouldn't underestimate what you're being told about the sorts of people she is likely to encounter at St. Andrew's (in particular) and Edinburgh and Durham (to a lesser extent).

If she is the sort of person who fits comfortably into very-monied social situations with ease, and is comfortable with either the etiquette or 'eccentricities' (depending on your point of view!), she'll be fine.

If she is the sort of person who thinks teenagers in tweed jackets and red trousers are likely to be loud, obnoxious, pretentious arseholes, she might not enjoy it!

As a native of Glasgow, my fellow countrymen can probably guess my opinion!
Old Oct 30, 2016, 3:57 pm

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by Scots_Al
I really wouldn't underestimate what you're being told about the sorts of people she is likely to encounter at St. Andrew's (in particular) and Edinburgh and Durham (to a lesser extent).

If she is the sort of person who fits comfortably into very-monied social situations with ease, and is comfortable with either the etiquette or 'eccentricities' (depending on your point of view!), she'll be fine.

If she is the sort of person who thinks teenagers in tweed jackets and red trousers are likely to be loud, obnoxious, pretentious arseholes, she might not enjoy it!
I think that is a very over the top stereotype.
Certainly doesn't apply at Edinburgh.

St Andrews I know less well, I would agree some of that there, but I'd hate to put people off it because of that.

Durham I know reasonably well, certainly has the collegiate bit - the only real place other than Oxbridge that goes into collegiate bits to that extent. Does rate itself very highly (and a wee bit too conspicuous in making sure you know how it rates itself) but certainly quality.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 3:46 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver (lapsed HNL Gold), Avis Preferred, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Plat, Marriot Plat
Originally Posted by Scots_Al
As a native of Glasgow, my fellow countrymen can probably guess my opinion!
And as a native of Glasgow holding a M.A.(hons) from the University of St Andrews I have no idea which opinion you might hold!
Old Oct 31, 2016, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I'm loving all the insight. She goes to a very large diverse public high school which draws from one of the wealthiest cities in SoCal but also has a large percentage of students below the poverty line. So I think she's comfortable with all types. In many ways she's a stereotype of a SoCal girl, varsity swim, volleyball and lifeguard. She'd likely participate in club swim or volleyball if available wherever she goes. So her social life may revolve around that.
Durham does look gorgeous! I'm excited to see it in person.
Old Nov 1, 2016, 12:18 am

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
I'm loving all the insight. She goes to a very large diverse public high school which draws from one of the wealthiest cities in SoCal but also has a large percentage of students below the poverty line.
That sounds like the EXACT mix you will find in most UK universities!
Plus plenty of international students.

[Although with the risk of being pedantic, just to avoid any confusion, by "public" I assume you mean a normal school paid for by the government and open to all of the public? - In the UK, the term 'public school' refers to one in public (i.e. private) ownership (and invariably fee paying, etc), rather than a 'state school' - one owned by the government and free. Just in case you get confused about people referencing number people with a 'public school' background - they mean 'private', not 'state'.]

In many ways she's a stereotype of a SoCal girl, varsity swim, volleyball and lifeguard. She'd likely participate in club swim or volleyball if available wherever she goes. So her social life may revolve around that.
This is hard to explain but I'm mentioning it just in case it helps with cultural understanding.... sport in UK universities clearly seems to be very different to (at least some) USA universities (to the limited extent that I understand USA universities - and I admit only SOME of the limited understanding I have of them comes from first hand accounts from people who have experienced both, some elements do come from popular culture plot devices - which I take with a large pinch of salt.).

I'm not just talking about which sports are played (or played actively) but just culturally the way it all seems to work.

What is certainly true is that virtually every decent/normal UK university has LOADS of different sports - competitive and non-competitive - plus even more other non-sporting activities. And I'd encourage people to try things out, anything that takes their fancy even for a second, even if non traditional and way out of their comfort zone, and you will never have another opportunity like it to have so much on your doorstep.

While some inter-university competition does occur (especially for certain types of sports that suit it, and where this is geographically practical), lots of sports are also just undertaken for personal enjoyment within the university and environs.

Back to cultural differences, there is generally no prestige association with being on a 'picked team'. Indeed most teams seem to change from fixture to fixture in many cases.

That doesn't really help much, but... I'd hate for someone not to try out something utterly random. Also don't associate each sport with only what the activity itself is. In some universities X will be very popular, in others Y. Some are great just for their social side, not just undertaking the activity.

With regard to volleyball - less popular, due to weather. How popular swimming is at certain universities is often directly linked to how practical it is (swimming pools availability, etc).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.