Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Carlisle-Southend flights to start in April

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2016, 2:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gagravarr
The Oxford to Banbury line goes basically past the end of the airport's road (by the Highwayman pub on the A4260). There was quite a strong push from Kidlington folks + businesses to get a station there, and probably still a fair bit of request even with the new Parkway station to the south of Kidlington. If you put in a station there, it'd serve the northern Kidlington housing estates, the business + industrial parks right there. With a covered walkway for the 500m walk, you've got an airport station too
Sounds a great idea, but there'd need to be a few more flights from Oxford to justify it. They could do it straight away but it would become like DTV's own railway station - totally unused!

Last edited by goldencondor; Jan 18, 2016 at 4:04 am
Old Jan 18, 2016, 3:40 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by goldencondor
Sounds a great idea, but there'd need to be a few more flights from Oxford to justify it. They could do it straight way but it would become like DTV's own railway station - totally unused!
In fairness, Teesside Airport station has 2 trains a week and is nearly a mile from the terminal...
Old Jan 18, 2016, 4:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stut
In fairness, Teesside Airport station has 2 trains a week and is nearly a mile from the terminal...
That'll be why only 32 people used it last year!
Old Jan 19, 2016, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by stut
Indeed so - I have even flown it

How long before we see the mythical NWI-NOC services starting up? Shrine tourists heading to Walsingham would surely keep this afloat...
I'm sure it'd get enough passengers to fill an ATR-42...

...a year
Old Jan 20, 2016, 12:47 pm

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Very interesting, the Lake District is my favorite spot in all of England and some very dear family friends live there.

Thank you for the information, this might well be a comfy alternative to our traditional family outings by train from London.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Looks like it's not going to be Spring after all. The Transport Minister jumped the gun:

http://www.in-cumbria.com/Stobart-Gr...b0f5b5c24a8-ds
Old Jan 20, 2016, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
I've never flown from Oxford before, so as soon as those flights become bookable I will get book a flight.
You might want to check the past record of the outfit that's providing the service...

Originally Posted by Gagravarr
Whether it's a good use of taxpayers cash is certainly a very good question, but it would seem that it does require some to make it possible to start with
I think the issue is you have a train every hour to BHX, and buses several times an hour to Heathrow. Offering one flight a day - or as we've seen before sometimes just a few flights a week - means the flight quickly has no relevance for the vast majority of potential users.
Old Jan 20, 2016, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
You might want to check the past record of the outfit that's providing the service...
That is why I'll be booking early. I did the same with Flybe in Bournemouth and look what happened there...
Old Jan 21, 2016, 8:19 am
Original Poster

More generally, I've just been looking to see if *any* of the flights awarded funding from the Regional Air Connectivity Fund are bookable yet. I can't find a single one.

Staring to think there may be some delay on the governmental side of things.
Old Jan 26, 2016, 9:11 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred Plus, Amex Plat
Looks like it's not going to be Spring after all. The Transport Minister jumped the gun:

http://www.in-cumbria.com/Stobart-Gr...b0f5b5c24a8-ds
I must say, I was rather surprised to see an April start date appear out of nowhere. Significant upgrades to the infrastructure at CAX is still needed.

Mind you, a rather glamorous new roundabout has just gone in on the A689, so things are looking up.

I can't say I have any need to fly from CAX-SEN, but I drive by there fairly frequently, and I might just do it for the craic one day. Talk of connections to Ireland, Europe and the four nations sounds rather fanciful though. London and one other hub - maybe....
Old Jan 26, 2016, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by mad_rich
I must say, I was rather surprised to see an April start date appear out of nowhere. Significant upgrades to the infrastructure at CAX is still needed.

Mind you, a rather glamorous new roundabout has just gone in on the A689, so things are looking up.

I can't say I have any need to fly from CAX-SEN, but I drive by there fairly frequently, and I might just do it for the craic one day. Talk of connections to Ireland, Europe and the four nations sounds rather fanciful though. London and one other hub - maybe....
Back in the day, CAX used to be a stopping off point on a Viscount than ran from Dundee to LHR(!!)
Old Jan 26, 2016, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mad_rich

The talk is of Dublin possibly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.