Reload this Page >

best and cheapest way gatwick to london then getting around london

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

best and cheapest way gatwick to london then getting around london

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2016, 10:05 am

Fares are identical for oyster or contactless bank card.
Whether you can use your bank card depends on whether it has the contactless symbol - looks like a wifi symbol - on the card. In technical terms - if it contains an embedded RFID card.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by Allie Abby
still bit confused , when u say contactless credit/debit card , u saying I can use my canadian visa card to pay for getting around in London and the airport ?
If there are no overseas transaction fees for using your contactless card in the UK, then I absolutely recommend using it. Saves you the trouble of getting an Oyster card.

Here's the contactless symbol on a card:

Old Jan 22, 2016, 11:52 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, HH Diamond, Radisson Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold, Shangri La Jade
Originally Posted by Allie Abby
still bit confused , when u say contactless credit/debit card , u saying I can use my canadian visa card to pay for getting around in London and the airport ? and I looked at uk fare finder ,contactless seems cheaper than oyster if I'm looking at it right.
you can. the fares are exactly the same but you need to ensure you won't get hit with bank charges!
Old Jan 22, 2016, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

ok tks , my card has that , ill have to check with marriot visa to much sure its going to work , there is no fees on this card I'm told , just exchange rate which our dollar is less than half of britsh pound , why I'm trying to keep my cost down if I can .
Old Jan 29, 2016, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by stut
If you have a contactless credit/debit card, you don't need to bother with Oyster, you'll simply have whatever your spend (capped at a daily rate) charged to you daily.

Otherwise, with Oyster, this tool tells you the fares:

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payment...le-fare-finder

and these are the daily/weekly caps:

http://content.tfl.gov.uk/2016-adult-fares.pdf

If you're wondering what the zones are referring to:

http://content.tfl.gov.uk/london-rai...rvices-map.pdf

Gatwick is a special, non-zonal fare, however.
Tfl website says daily caps apply to Gatwick trips if you don't take the Express, but for purpose of cap calculation what zone is Gatwick? If you go Gatwick to Victoria is your daily cap the 1-9 cap, 1-9 plus Watford Junction cap, etc. or something else? (For example, if you land at LGW early in the day and will be using the tube later that day.)
Old Jan 29, 2016, 7:32 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Ah, you're right, there is a cap. According to the ever helpful oyster-rail:

http://www.oyster-rail.org.uk/2016/0...er-at-gatwick/

it's Ł19 off-peak, Ł30.50 peak (i.e. before 09:30 M-F). Which is actually more than the paper travelcard equivalent (and not valid for the 2-for-1 offers, natch).
Old Jan 29, 2016, 7:52 am

Ah, thanks. That blog seems to indicate that if Southern use gates 13 and 14 you get charged the express fare, which kind of sucks. Do they allow you to tap in at a different gate if Southern departs or arrives from those gates?
Old Jan 29, 2016, 8:35 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
It's all very new, so I'm not sure what they do.

I thought I'd have a look at the platform usage (yes, I'm bored at work):

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/sear...=all&order=wtt

Looks like some of the overnight Southern services have been using 13/14. And that there's a handful of GEX services using other platforms. So, while Southern rarely use 13/14 during the day (I've certainly never seen it), it's not completely out of the question.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 10:16 am

Just a small FYI -- no way to refund Oyster card deposit and credit at Gatwick, at least as of a couple of days ago. So, I'm stuck with a couple of Oyster cards with 9 pounds or so with no imminent plans to return. Looks like there is a way to do it online, but it's a hassle. So, just a heads up if LGW is your port of departure. Anyway, if I had it to do over, I probably would have put 20 pounds less on Oyster, refunded Oyster at Victoria, and bought a paper ticket on Southern for Gatwick.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 12:33 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by lkar
Just a small FYI -- no way to refund Oyster card deposit and credit at Gatwick, at least as of a couple of days ago.
National Rail stations cannot do this, no surprise there unfortunately.
Old Mar 16, 2016, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by Microwave
National Rail stations cannot do this, no surprise there unfortunately.
I figured that since Oyster can now be used for Southern trains that there would be an Oyster machine there -- there seems to be a machine at most stations now that will process refunds. But, yup, no machine there, just National Rail stuff.
Old Mar 17, 2016, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by lkar
Just a small FYI -- no way to refund Oyster card deposit and credit at Gatwick, at least as of a couple of days ago. [...]
I suspect it's possible to do so at the TfL 'Visitor Centre' (which is really just a counter) at Gatwick South terminal arrivals hall... note that the opening times are a bit limited, 09:15-16:00 daily.

See here for further info on TfL Visitor Centres (what used to be called Travel & Information Centres).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.