Isle of Wight Trick

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Isle of Wight Trick

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2016, 4:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Isle of Wight Trick

You'll have seen that the gold card zone has been widened to make it bigger than the network card zone and goes beyond Birmingham. On the off chance I wondered if anyone had been able to find a cheaper gold card yielding annual season ticket than Ryde Esplanade to Ryde St John's? I have played around with what look as if they might be short journeys but haven't been able to find anything to beat it.

Last edited by hsmall; Jan 12, 2016 at 8:56 am Reason: Edited as helpfully pointed out to distinguish between the gold card zone and the network card zone
Old Jan 11, 2016, 4:57 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Yes - Lichfield City to Lichfield TV.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by hsmall
You'll have seen that the network card zone has extended and goes beyond Birmingham. [...]
That's not (quite) correct. The Annual Gold Card area was extended recently, but this didn't bring with it any extension of the Network Railcard area. In the past they used to cover the same area, but no longer.

* Network Railcard website
* Annual Gold Card info on the National Rail website
Old Jan 11, 2016, 5:00 pm

And just to add to the confusion, some journeys are no longer covered by the Gold Card (e.g. the Virgin services from London to Milton Keynes Central). And the rarely spotted £5 upgrade has fallen by the wayside too.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 4:26 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
As Stut has pointed out, the cheapest Network Annual Gold Card is for Lichfield City to Lichfield Trent Valley. Last year it was £144, this year it's up to £164. I think it was only about a hundred quid in 2014, just when it joined the zone.

Expect some surprised looks, and possibly a little bit of resistance buying it, and some very odd looks any time a conductor looks hard at the ticket! When I got one last year, the ticket office staff remarked that they'd have to tell their Ryde commuter about it when he came in to renew
Old Jan 12, 2016, 8:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold;BA GGL; hhonors lifetime diamond; Marriott lt Gold; IH Plat Amb; Amex Centurion
Originally Posted by Mizter T
That's not (quite) correct. The Annual Gold Card area was extended recently, but this didn't bring with it any extension of the Network Railcard area. In the past they used to cover the same area, but no longer.

* Network Railcard website
* Annual Gold Card info on the National Rail website
You are absolutely right. Sorry. I have edited the OP.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 12:58 pm

You are absolutely right. Sorry. I have edited the OP.
No worries!

Originally Posted by Gagravarr
As Stut has pointed out, the cheapest Network Annual Gold Card is for Lichfield City to Lichfield Trent Valley. Last year it was £144, this year it's up to £164. I think it was only about a hundred quid in 2014, just when it joined the zone.

Expect some surprised looks, and possibly a little bit of resistance buying it, and some very odd looks any time a conductor looks hard at the ticket! When I got one last year, the ticket office staff remarked that they'd have to tell their Ryde commuter about it when he came in to renew
It's possible to buy annual season tickets online from some rail companies, for example London Midland (who actually run the trains between Lichfield City and Lichfield Trent Valley) or Southern Railway. They'll send it by recorded delivery (aka "Signed for") for no extra cost.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 3:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mizter T

It's possible to buy annual season tickets online from some rail companies, for example London Midland (who actually run the trains between Lichfield City and Lichfield Trent Valley) or Southern Railway. They'll send it by recorded delivery (aka "Signed for") for no extra cost.
Indeed I have just done exactly that with London Midland. You do need to have a photocard though.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by stut
And just to add to the confusion, some journeys are no longer covered by the Gold Card (e.g. the Virgin services from London to Milton Keynes Central). And the rarely spotted £5 upgrade has fallen by the wayside too.
Yeah the £5 went at the start of last year when all the other changes came in. Right bugger that was when it happened as I was a regular user. Interesting to note that Cross Country are still included but not north of Banbury as per the previous limits.

Last edited by Jimmie76; Jan 13, 2016 at 10:38 am
Old Jan 13, 2016, 10:39 am

Wow, am impressed - I barely found anyone who would actually sell me the £5 tickets when they were in existence - the Cotswold Line was the only route I had regular success on...
Old Jan 13, 2016, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Wow, am impressed - I barely found anyone who would actually sell me the £5 tickets when they were in existence - the Cotswold Line was the only route I had regular success on...
My local station (on the Cotswold line) near my Mum is never open on a Sunday and they hadn't loaded the tickets onto the portable ticket machines the Train Managers have. So what we used to do was on the return journey (on a Sunday) they'd sell me a weekend 1st upgrade for the £5 zone on board and then s/he'd mention to the buffet host that I was good for food and drink from now. Then I discovered that the option existed to add them to your ticket online at FGW.com so I bought my tickets there and added the £5 much simpler and quicker.

I went to Exeter (on South Western Trains), Brighton, Ipswich (train manager said don't bother to move when we get to Manningtree), Southend, Banbury etc. Helped if you knew who could actually sell you because they knew how to produce the tickets. The bloke at my local station (who was a legend and had been there since the days of BR) showed me what you needed to key in to an APTIS machine to get it, so that if I was at an unfamiliar station I could tell them.

Last edited by Jimmie76; Jan 13, 2016 at 11:02 am
Old Jan 17, 2016, 3:37 am
Original Poster

Indeed I have just done exactly that with London Midland. You do need to have a photocard though.
I spoke too soon. When the season ticket was delivered it was an "ordinary" season ticket not a gold card. I called customer services and the following correspondence then ensued (I will keep you updated but you I fear I may have to be persistent):-

From London Midland

Dear [hsmall]

Further to our telephone conversation I have looked into your enquiry and the season ticket you have bought does not entitle you to a Gold Card, as it does not fall into the Gold Card area boundary.

Here is a link to the map of the boundary for your information:

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/static...cheme_area.pdf

Yours sincerely
[redacted]
Customer Relations Advisor

From Me

Thank you [redacted]. With respect, it does fall within the boundary. The inner boundary shaded grey on the map is named as the "existing gold card boundary" and dates from when the gold card area was extended last year. All the stations on the map (which is titled "Annual Gold Card Area") are within the NEW area, which differs from the Network Card area. The two Lichfield stations do fall within the Gold Card Area therefore.

See this page, which links to the map.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_...pes/46573.aspx

Could I please ask you to look at this again.

Thanks.

[hsmall]
Old Jan 18, 2016, 5:47 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Please do keep us apprised as the matter unfolds, I'm watching with interest!
Old Jan 18, 2016, 6:16 am

See also this thread from our rather more rail-involved cousins:

http://www.railforums.co.uk/showthread.php?t=124708

Seems Hatton-Lapworth is now the cheapest journey since the January price rises. And I'd trust Chiltern to get it right above London Midland...
Old Jan 18, 2016, 7:37 am

Seems Hatton-Lapworth is now the cheapest journey since the January price rises. And I'd trust Chiltern to get it right above London Midland...
Direct link to buy a season ticket from Chiltern Railways:
http://tickets.chilternrailways.co.uk/ch/en/journeyplanning/seasonmixingdeck

hsmall, I'm sure you'll get there in the end!

On that map, I'm not sure the existence of the old boundary for the Gold Card area is really that helpful - well, I suppose it shows how it has expanded. I assume it is labelled as "Existing Annual Gold Card area boundary" because the map was prepared prior to the expansion, but now that just serves to mislead!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.