Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

When do Xmas windows come down in London?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2015, 8:11 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors, Practical Travel Safety Issues & San Francisco
Original Poster

Programs: UA, Hilton, Priceline, AirBnB

We will be there starting the 26 - will the Xmas store window displays still be up for a few days?
Old Dec 1, 2015, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Yes. They tend to stay up until the weekend after New Years Day.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 10:37 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Yes. They tend to stay up until the weekend after New Years Day.
So if we run out the day we arrive (Sat, Jan 2) we might still see a couple? Any store in particular we should try for? (there are websites that track NYC windows and map out walking tours to see the majority - anything like that for London?)

(we love to travel during the holidays - I love holiday windows and Christmas markets - but our trip this year was delayed because of some of my business travel)
Old Dec 1, 2015, 11:08 am

Now I'd have thought that an awful lot of windows would have changed immediately after Christmas to reflect the traditional January Sales which nowadays tend to start on the 26th of December, even if it is only sticking huge "sale" signs in the window so you can't see if they even have a display or not.
It's domestic and civic Christmas decorations that are likely to be still around on Jan 2.
But if a list of stores that continue all their Christmas windows until January appears, I'll be interested.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Andy33
It's domestic and civic Christmas decorations that are likely to be still around on Jan 2.
They certainly should be around then as they're not meant to be taken down until the Twelfth Night. Of course, shops do their own thing and I would suspect that all the major stores will change their windows on the first day they reopen, which will probably be the 26th, but could be the 27th or 28th given where Christmas falls this year.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 11:47 am

Hmm, not as scenic but "January Sales" not a bad thing
Old Dec 1, 2015, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Andy33
Now I'd have thought that an awful lot of windows would have changed immediately after Christmas to reflect the traditional January Sales which nowadays tend to start on the 26th of December, even if it is only sticking huge "sale" signs in the window so you can't see if they even have a display or not.
But if a list of stores that continue all their Christmas windows until January appears, I'll be interested.

Some shops will replace them immediately with 'sale' signs but those don't tend to be the ones with 'proper' displays in them

So Selfridges, Harrods and Liberty for example should still be in Christmas mode.

Next will more than likely be in Sale mode.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

OK so now I am more confused :)

I'm mostly asking about places like Harrods, Selfidges etc - and there seems to be a variance of opinion?

lhrsfo:
I would suspect that all the major stores will change their windows on the first day they reopen, which will probably be the 26th, but could be the 27th or 28th given where Christmas falls this year.

UK Travelbear
So Selfridges, Harrods and Liberty for example should still be in Christmas mode.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I don't think I'd categorise Harrods as a major store nowasays, more a niche tourist experience. Also, its sale usually starts later than others.
Old Dec 1, 2015, 5:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The showpiece stores will keep theirs up though might have Sale stickers on every other bit of real estate. Normal high street stores will swop windows out on Christmas Eve ahead of the sale.

Not wishing to disparage the OP but the idea of a walking tour to see all the Christmas windows in London makes me fear for the future of Western civilisation. ;-)
Old Dec 1, 2015, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Not wishing to disparage the OP but the idea of a walking tour to see all the Christmas windows in London makes me fear for the future of Western civilisation. ;-)
Can't speak for the OP, but for me - we're there 7 days - I'm sure we'll walk and see a LOT of things (walking & rambling being my main ways to enjoy a vacation). And if holiday decorations are among the things I see, it makes me happy^
Old Dec 1, 2015, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

But you DID disparage me :)

SF has horrible cheap displays at Xmas (except for kittens in Macy's windows) so seeing what London stores do is always a treat. And while I am well traveled I am still a tourist.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 8:10 am
Original Poster

I've now gotten the word from the experts. I emailed Harrod's, who were kind enough to respond and tell me that Christmas Windows come down Christmas night in preparation for the after Christmas sales the next day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.