Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Manchester Airport immigration - mixed nationality family?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2015, 11:01 pm
Original Poster

Apologies if this is the wrong board, please move as appropriate

I (British citizen) will be flying with my Japanese spouse and baby (currently with Japanese passport) to Manchester, an airport I've never been to before, for a two-week visit.

Is it possible to take my non-British family members with me through the British/EU channel, or will I have to queue with "everyone else"?

Thanks.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 1:10 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
I would suggest queueing with them in the "everyone else" queue.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 1:25 am
Original Poster

Aha, searching with some other keywords brings up this FT thread with a similar question but for LHR; consensus seems it might be possible but is discretionary.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 1:30 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
From reports on here, you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

I'd ask. There's generally people around at the entrance to the queues.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 1:32 am
Original Poster

The government says: You must: ... move through passport control together if you’re in a family though unhelpfully doesn't say what the situation is with mixed nationalities.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 1:41 am
Original Poster

And if this post is anything to go by, the non-EU queues might be shorter at Manchester.

I have spent a couple of hours with my wife at LHR in the non-EU queue and pretty sure someone told us we could have gone through the other much more quickly...
Old Nov 25, 2015, 2:54 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Which terminal and where are you arriving from?
Old Nov 25, 2015, 3:52 am
Original Poster

Terminal 1, coming from Helsinki.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 4:05 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Assuming you are arriving on AY937 at 17:00 all flights arriving in T1 around that time are from EU countries and the majority of passengers will have EU passports. It's possible that the non-EU queue is actually shorter though each passenger with a non-EU passport will obviously take longer to go through passport control.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 4:29 am
Original Poster

Yup, that's the one. Play it by ear I guess. Just trying to narrow down the possibilities in advance as it will be early am body time when we arrive. Thanks for all the replies!
Old Nov 25, 2015, 5:04 am

Originally Posted by planesquid
Yup, that's the one. Play it by ear I guess. Just trying to narrow down the possibilities in advance as it will be early am body time when we arrive. Thanks for all the replies!
My wife is a US citizen with UK permanent residence, I have a UK passport.

UK Border Force (a really welcoming name if ever I heard one) always says we should queue together in non-EU on return to UK.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 5:36 am
Original Poster

The Border Force chappie at Heathrow gave me a bit of a grilling last time I passed through there with my wife (non-EU queue), asking about where I lived, my occupation in Japan etc. etc.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 1:35 pm

The longest queue I've seen in T1 was the EU passport queue late on a Sunday evening. Unless you arrive just after one of the EK flights or when international students return from their visit home, MAN T1 passport queues are nothing like what you might find at LHR.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 5:24 pm
Original Poster

Ta, that makes sense I guess.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 11:57 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
At LHR you can join any queue. I have used both the EU and non-EU queues with groups of EEA/non-EEA citizens. AFAIK all UK immigration officers are obliged to process anyone who presents themselves in front of them, but I've never travelled internationally from MAN so can't be sure about that airport.

The non-EU queue often seems shorter but may take longer, although before I gained the right to use the EU queue, when I've had a long wait it was usually due to slow Americans (landing card? what landing card? oh, I thought we didn't need one)...

Last edited by :D!; Nov 26, 2015 at 12:03 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.