Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

UK entry requirements for short consulting gig

Old Nov 19, 2015, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM

Going to London for a few days' of consulting work. US citizen. Visa not necessary. But I can't quite figure out the UK immigration web site. It seems to say that for a "permitted paid engagement" nothing is needed for a stay of up to 1 month. I think I should be fine since I'm just going to work for a few days, but I was wondering if anyone had any first hand experience with this?

I'm also going to stay on and spend a couple days as a tourist so perhaps I should just say that's why I am coming to the UK when asked at passport control?
Old Nov 19, 2015, 2:10 pm

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Lying (that includes not being completely honest) about the purpose of one's entry into a country is never a good idea. Consult an immigration attorney or immigration service provider to get a better idea of what you need.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 2:59 pm

Programs: DL-Dirt Medallion;US-Cast Iron Preferred; HH-Gold; Avis First
The lesson I've learned for Canada is: just list purpose as "business trip", or maybe "customer meeting", don't put "work". This would probably work for your case too.

If they ask further, you can elaborate as you see fit.
Old Nov 19, 2015, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Hands-on work requires a visa if you are not an EU national or otherwise entitled to work here. As a US citizen you would be entitled to come here as a business visitor. Here is a guide on what being a business visitor includes: https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...rs_v11_Ext.pdf
Old Nov 19, 2015, 10:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM
Excellent document, thank you! My searching did not turn up anything with that level of detail.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.