Wiki Posts
Search

Library in London with IATA manuals

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2015, 3:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by Calchas
I would ask for a better explanation...
That's interesting. I asked at the Guildhall Library (which I think I was pointed to as having good industry / commerce resources) about getting a copy of the BSI document in about 2003. IIRC they said that they had previously held or had access to them, but that had lapsed due to changes in inter-library loan or funding agreements. Maybe I would have been able to read a copy if I travelled to St Pancras...

But BSI themselves were very supportive in the end. I wanted it as a part of a consumer disagreement with Boots, and once I made a commitment that it wouldn't be used for any commercial purpose a copy was (e-?)mailed to me gratis. Maybe they have to supply them under those terms, or maybe they were just being kind .

Of course, as a part of my issue I also made a commitment to never, ever visit Boots again. Until I needed some Strepsils a few weeks later .
Old Nov 20, 2015, 5:01 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

The European office for IATA is in a building adjacent to Geneva airport. IATA makes a fair amount of money from publication sales so the odds are that they will try to keep free access as scarce as possible. I have had to buy something from them at least once, so I know it happens from firsthand experience!

Good luck.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 9:54 pm

I had a MITA manual sitting on my desk for years. I opened it maybe once every 3 months. It's not exactly light reading and it's primarily a reference book (that is obsolete by the time it is delivered) rather than a guide book.

IIRC, IATA moved to an online resource for MITA sometime around 2009 or so? I distinctly remember having a portal login for updates rather than having to manually amend the physical book. The portal access may be cheaper than the physical edition, but not by much.
Old Nov 25, 2015, 4:51 am

I can't help but think that the earlier suggestion of contacting the CAA might actually be the best idea... though looking back I see that the poster of said suggestion wasn't actually very optimistic...

Originally Posted by T8191
I doubt the CAA in Kingsway would be helpful, or even have a Library, but you could always try asking.
If they were to have a copy and somehow allow the OP access, I'd think it'd only be on a one-off basis, and perhaps only on the basis that the OP wanted a preview before deciding whether or not to buy a copy (or at least buy online access to it).

It's such a niche document that I doubt it's the kind of thing floating around in some illicit corner of the net!
Old Nov 26, 2015, 6:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Sixth Freedom
I need to study a copy of the IATA Multilateral Interline Traffic Agreements (MITA) manual.

Before I spend $461 buying a copy is anybody aware of a library in London that is open to the public and has IATA manuals to view?

Many thanks in advance!
As it's obviously for professional purposes rather than for reading at bedtime you'll be able to claw back the cost through the fees you charge and fiddling your tax etc? That's usually why books like this cost so much.

It'll make a good door stop.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by HIDDY
As it's obviously for professional purposes rather than for reading at bedtime you'll be able to claw back the cost through the fees you charge and fiddling your tax etc? That's usually why books like this cost so much.
No, a professional would already have thought of that and not been looking for a freebie. More likely trying to score a point on flyertalk.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Surely a professional looks to minimise the price of the service he makes use of ??
Old Dec 7, 2015, 9:16 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
If the time spent hunting down and gaining access to the copy is billable time, paying up is cheaper than messing around.

I expect this is the basis of most of IATA's publication earnings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.