Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OK to carry a small purse in Ireland?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2015, 1:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by londonba2014
Very weird as I am part Irish but have family in Iowa!

Within Dublin - I don't think pick - pocketing is a huge issue amongst tourists however as with anywhere be cautious!

In the rest of the country there is virtually no risk/such little crime that I wouldn't worry about a bag!

Really hope you enjoy it!
Have you read the thread? The OP has already visited and got pick-pocketed whilst there!
Old Nov 4, 2015, 1:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IMO the husband's suggestion that he carry all the credit cards is more of a risk than pickpockets in Dublin.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 5:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mad_rich
Sorry to hear about your experience, but glad you found your phone (and your photos!).

Do you think the 'survey' was genuine, or a distraction? Or was it just an opportunistic theft.

I had my iPhone stolen last year and cursed myself for i) not turning Find My iPhone on, and ii) not setting a passcode. I have learned now!
In this case the OP was very lucky, but when my iPhone was stolen the SIM card had been ejected within about thirty seconds and it was no longer trackable.

My only solace is that, because of the iCloud Activation Lock which is part of Find My iPhone, it is a completely useless brick to whoever is in possession of it.
Old Nov 17, 2015, 8:51 am
Original Poster

Smile

I have several suspicions about my cell phone being pickpocketed:
When we tracked my phone at 7 am. in the dark to 12 blocks away from Christ's Church, it was to a building attached to the Starbucks on O'Connell street near the O'Connell Monument. I asked questions of a Security Guard at the Burger King and the employees of Starbucks, and the Youth Hostel desk guys around the corner by the alley. They all said there were very unsavory characters who live in that area. Yes, I do believe the news of my questioning got around, and the thief got a bit worried.

Also I wondered why the thief would walk 12 blocks back to Christ Church to lay the phone on a monument there on the grounds the next morning. Why not just get scared and throw it in the trash somewhere? I suspicion he actually worked at the Food Carnival on the grounds at Christ's Church and thought he'd just walk to work and lay it on a monument there, since he was going there anyway. He did take the Otterbox Defender case, which is worth about $50. I got a new case in a better color, so I'm happy there.

Just before the pickpocketing of my phone, I had just completed a guided tour of Christ's Church, and had just taken a picture with my phone of the beautiful church ceiling. In the picture there is a young thin man with jeans and black & white tennis shoes. He has a black hood pulled up over his head and only curly brown bangs protruding out. He sits in the last pew on the edge, turned toward the door. That's the exact spot where I stood as the church employee was handing me survey papers and asking if I had a pen. I believe that is the thief sitting there. I wouldn't think he's connected with the church or the survey. But I think he recognized a situation that happens everyday, where people are distracted, getting survey papers and fumbling for an ink pen, and then he makes his move.
I also know that prayer and belief is a strong force. I specifically prayed that he would take the phone back to Christ's Church and that's what he did.

What an ordeal! It cost $97 to FedEx my phone back to Iowa from Dublin! But I can't tell you how wonderful it is to have my phone back in my hand again! Those wonderful videos of step dancing and all the Castle and sheep photos, etc.! If I had it to do over, I probably would have stayed in the countrysides and avoided Dublin. But I'm happy it all turned out alright.
Thank you for all your comments and suggestions. We have the Find My phone on there now, and I'll also look into the ICloud Activation Lock.
Pomcoach from Iowa
Old Nov 17, 2015, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pomcoach
We have the Find My phone on there now, and I'll also look into the ICloud Activation Lock.
Pomcoach from Iowa
If Find My iPhone is on, and you have iOS 6 or newer, then the iCloud Activation Lock is automatically on. Basically your phone and your Apple account are registered together on Apple's servers. Even if your phone is wiped clean, it cannot be used again until you unlock it using the same Apple account that you used to turn on Find My iPhone. [So don't forget the password!]

Although there are several companies purporting to sell workarounds to the iCloud Activation Lock, as far as I can tell they are all scams and none work.
Old Nov 18, 2015, 9:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear

As long as you take the usual precautions you will be as safe as walking down your own local high street.

There is no need to carry your passport with you. You are more likely to lose it rather than to have it stolen.
Agree.

And unfortunately the OP discovered (which can be true of any major city in the world) that if you get distracted/don't keep an eye on things that yes items can be stolen.

Glad the OP got the phone (and photos!) back.

Cheers. Sharon
Old Nov 22, 2015, 4:21 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Well, I'm glad you got your phone back, but this story makes no sense to me. The phone was tracked 12 blocks away but then ended up back at the church? The thief must have been very stupid to go back to the 'scene of the crime'.
Old Nov 22, 2015, 1:50 pm

Programs: SQ & QF
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Well, I'm glad you got your phone back, but this story makes no sense to me. The phone was tracked 12 blocks away but then ended up back at the church? The thief must have been very stupid to go back to the 'scene of the crime'.
The find my iPhone app is not accurate. I used it the other day, it showed my phone was in the stream about 500 yards from the house. Turned out it was in my kitchen!
Old Nov 22, 2015, 2:01 pm
Suspended

I wasn't really questioning the technical accuracy of Find my iPhone. Maybe I'm cynical, but the whole story sounds a bit fishy and made-up, in my opinion.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite
And with a new case, if I read that correctly. However, given that, I have no reason to disbelieve the story. People are irrational, especially if they're on drugs. Guy could have been whacked when he took the phone, woke up and thought, 'oh crap', had a pang of conscience, and brought it back. Maybe he got harangued by a mother or relative to return it. It happens
Old Nov 24, 2015, 9:02 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by VivoPerLei
Guy could have been whacked when he took the phone, woke up and thought, 'oh crap', had a pang of conscience, and brought it back.
Nice theory but about as likely as a meteor striking earth and wiping out life as know it within the next 24 hours!
Old Nov 24, 2015, 9:27 am

Programs: SQ & QF
And with a new case, if I read that correctly. However, given that, I have no reason to disbelieve the story. People are irrational, especially if they're on drugs. Guy could have been whacked when he took the phone, woke up and thought, 'oh crap', had a pang of conscience, and brought it back. Maybe he got harangued by a mother or relative to return it. It happens
Its more likely that the iPhone never left the church yard. Its more likely that find my iPhone wasn't working properly and displayed it further away than it actually was.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by FN-GM
Quote:

Its more likely that the iPhone never left the church yard. Its more likely that find my iPhone wasn't working properly and displayed it further away than it actually was.
I would agree, except it had a different case on it, assuming again that I read that part of the narrative correctly.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
...my phone had been found at 10:30 am. out on a monument on the church grounds. The case had been taken off....
...He did take the Otterbox Defender case, which is worth about $50. I got a new case in a better color, so I'm happy there.
I'm pretty sure OP meant the thief removed the case, which OP then replaced.

But I agree that the likeliest explanation was that the phone never left the churchyard, and the Find my Phone report was erroneous.
Old Nov 24, 2015, 1:22 pm
Suspended

Actually, I suspect it was dropped and someone placed it in a convenient and visible place, as you might do with a hat or a glove. The whole pickpocket/praying thing is a bit far-fetched.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.