Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Heathrow Express finally implements sensible prices

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2015, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Heathrow Express finally implements sensible prices

Heathrow Express now offers advance tickets exclusively online through its own website. Fares start at £10.99 return when booked 90 days before the outbound journey and are valid on any service on the nominated date.

No further discounts are available, such as for Railcard holders.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 4:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by stifle
Heathrow Express now offers advance tickets exclusively online through its own website. Fares start at £10.99 return when booked 90 days before the outbound journey and are valid on any service on the nominated date.

90 days in advance ?
They're being dragged kicking and screaming into reality.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Intermediate tiers of fares apply 30 or 7 days in advance.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 2:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

With prices like that, who in their right mind would use the Piccadilly Line.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 3:50 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Or the Ghost Train.
AKA Heathrow Connect.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 3:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Swanhunter
Those of us who live near Piccadilly Line stations. Getting the Circle Line to Paddington takes forever. So the Piccadilly Line still wins for much of central London.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 6:32 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Those of us who live near Piccadilly Line stations. Getting the Circle Line to Paddington takes forever. So the Piccadilly Line still wins for much of central London.
And a large part of NW and SW London.

It takes me a hour to get to LHR by Piccadilly, but getting to Paddington takes an hour as well and requires 3 changes and 10 minutes' extra walking.

I don't think anything can beat the £1.50 fare.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by stifle

Heathrow Express is operated by the Heathrow Express Operating Company, a wholly owned subsidiary of Heathrow Airport. It's not part of the railway system and not subject to government fares control.

That's what you get when you privatise an essential utility like rail. Rememebr this when you next vote
dlffla likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I doubt I'll have my travel plans for getting to the airport in order 90 days before and most travellers won't either - because most airline tickets are booked within 90 days of travel.

This, like other onerous advance purchase schemes, is mostly a marketing show and will have little applicability to the average passenger and little effect on revenues. Which I'm sure is the idea.

The HEX should cost about GBP10 each way maximum.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

In part it's a way of attracting leisure travellers. Many people do book their holidays more than 90 days out and this potentially locks in revenue for a more price sensitive segment.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had travel booked 90 days out, but it is not at 90 days anymore!
Old Sep 16, 2015, 5:59 pm

Originally Posted by flatlander
I doubt I'll have my travel plans for getting to the airport in order 90 days before and most travellers won't either - because most airline tickets are booked within 90 days of travel.

This, like other onerous advance purchase schemes, is mostly a marketing show and will have little applicability to the average passenger and little effect on revenues. Which I'm sure is the idea.

The HEX should cost about GBP10 each way maximum.
... which it now does as long as you book 30 days in advance. (OK, £10.75 one-way, but £17.50 return.)

The 90-day price is only a little cheaper than the 30-day price -- the 30-day price is half the walkup price.

Eight years from now, when the Heathrow Express concession expires, all this should be different, but even before that I suspect Crossrail will shake up services at Heathrow anyway, possibly leading to more reasonable fares. Even if Heathrow doesn't land up in Zone 6, it may be in a Zone H with something closer to normality in pricing.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by farci
Heathrow Express is operated by the Heathrow Express Operating Company, a wholly owned subsidiary of Heathrow Airport. It's not part of the railway system and not subject to government fares control.

That's what you get when you privatise an essential utility like rail. Rememebr this when you next vote
At the venture of straying into bad OMNI, I would add that you should also remember, when you next vote, that the nationalised British Rail could never be bothered to build a railway line to LHR - so if we were back in those days there would be no HEX at all.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 9:51 am

There will probably be extensive works on the line anticipated for three months' time, hence the reduced prices.....
Old Sep 18, 2015, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
At the venture of straying into bad OMNI, I would add that you should also remember, when you next vote, that the nationalised British Rail could never be bothered to build a railway line to LHR - so if we were back in those days there would be no HEX at all.
The whole Heathrow Express project actually started as a 50/50 joint venture between BAA and the Network SouthEast sector of British Rail, however at the time of rail privatisation BAA assumed full control of it (I think by buying out BR's interest in it).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.