Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Flying on a damaged passport

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2015, 6:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold, VX Gold
Originally Posted by MM00LL2
I have a hairline crack in the laminate on my photo page. The miserable "cow" at PER took delight in telling me she had the right to refuse me entry. Up until then i was oblivious to the damage I caused by sitting on my passport! So best avoid Australia (PER in particular) they're an ungrateful lot! I felt like I was a convict!
I thought being a convict qualified you for residency? Certainly it used to.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by britsv
I thought being a convict qualified you for residency? Certainly it used to.
Would love to be a fly on the wall at PER immigration as you retort to that "cow" (as someone else described her) your understanding of Australia entry requirements .... sounds like just the excuse she needed to deport!
Old Aug 29, 2015, 7:36 pm

Programs: QF Gold, WY Gold
The problem is that you can be refused entry with a dodgy passport, or even have hassle with an overzealous check in agent. Certain countries in Asia, the Middle East or South America can be particularly pedantic.
Through Europe and possibly the USA, you may get away with it 99% of the time. Question is would you want to risk it for that 1% of the time that you get refused?
Old Aug 29, 2015, 11:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Dan72
Quote:

Originally Posted by lcyguy

If the passport confirms your identity and nationality it remains a valid travel document regardless of what state it is in. Believe me forged or altered passports are always in pristine nic.
The only issue you may have is whether the airline will carry you or not on a 'damaged' document.

Not really, no. Within the EU there are other checks that can be done to confirm identity. But elsewhere the immigration authorities have to make a decision on the document presented, if the document is damaged they are free to refuse entry and are likely to do so if they suspect that the passport has been tampered with. This can result in penalties for airlines, who can refuse to carry those travelling on damaged documents.

That said... for travel within the EU, I expect the OP will probably be fine.
Of course they are free to refuse anyone who is in travelling on an altered passport, but that's not what we are talking about here, and whilst some damaged passports will be refused, they shouldn't be IF they remain valid travel documents which establish the nationality and identity of the holder.
This is an area I have worked in across the world for the last 20 years , so I have a fair amount of knowledge of what happens in practice in most EU and non EU countries, but thanks for telling me otherwise
Old Aug 30, 2015, 1:55 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
Having been to Portugal and seen first hand the level of interest their border staff pay to passports, I really wouldn't be that bothered. (Showed cover and waived through)!
Yes that's true, in Faro they have rather bigger problems than Brits with laminate issues, and in Lisbon they would also be supremely uninterested. Porto may be slightly more interested but still only 2 on a scale to 10.

But it's an interesting point: if someone sees their laminate just starting to curl then it may be best to get a replacement on the basis of needing more blank pages for future travel, overlooking any reference to damage.

It's not necessarily the OP's fault, if the passport gets slung into airport readers by check-in staff often enough the laminate will come away eventually, but putting passports in back pockets isn't going to help. I read a statistic a few years back that said something like 80% plus of damaged passports belonged to those of the male gender.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 2:00 am

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Yachtman
The problem is that you can be refused entry with a dodgy passport, or even have hassle with an overzealous check in agent. Certain countries in Asia, the Middle East or South America can be particularly pedantic.
Through Europe and possibly the USA, you may get away with it 99% of the time. Question is would you want to risk it for that 1% of the time that you get refused?
+1. An immigration officer in Colombia overbended my wife's passport. A month later, an overzealous immigration officer in Helsinki examined the overbended passport for 20 minutes and claimed that a page was missing. This was a Belgian passport and who ever heard that a Belgian would have a hard time entering in Finland? It's only after my wife mentioned that she was working for a large Finnish company that she was let in. Same passport was then used on dozens of trips with no problem...
Old Aug 30, 2015, 2:05 am

I also posted here in a similar situation

Unless you are very lucky you will not get a replacement passport, they have to get authorisation for it and the supervisors will not unless it's for a death in the family or other such crisis.

I had to apply for a second passport in the end!

However I was travelling to the US, I'd have absolutely no hesitation travelling to Portugal on a reasonably damaged passport, as others have said they are unlikely to give it more than a glance
Old Aug 30, 2015, 2:14 am

Check your form very carefully

Do be careful and maybe use the passport checking service at the postoffice to be on safe Side. I went to get a passport renewal for my daughter (fasttack) and my friend who signed the photo ( you may not have to do this bit for an adult passport) omitted to fill in the part about how they knew us...

The guy at the counter asked - how does the person know you? I said friend and neighbour....

He pushed the form back at me and I went to fill it in and he said you can't do that - it is falsifying your friends statement. He voided the form.

Friend had left for Paris trip that morning.... I had another completely form (got my friend to fill in a second copy just in case) but No more appointments available (anywhere in the country) even if I had been brave enough to fill in that part myself which I wouldn't have dared do!

Result - No passport! And we were due to travel to Barbados the following week.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 2:58 am

Programs: Mucci du Miel d'Or
Of course they are free to refuse anyone who is in travelling on an altered passport, but that's not what we are talking about here, and whilst some damaged passports will be refused, they shouldn't be IF they remain valid travel documents which establish the nationality and identity of the holder.
This is an area I have worked in across the world for the last 20 years , so I have a fair amount of knowledge of what happens in practice in most EU and non EU countries, but thanks for telling me otherwise
But that's exactly what we are talking about here; the ability to travel on a damaged document. Your interpretation of what's valid, is really not helpful to those who could be refused travel on a damaged document - something that you acknowledge could happen.

NB the government don't consider damaged passports to be valid. The process for their replacement is more onerous than a simple renewal.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 5:07 am

Programs: QF, FI, BA, HHonors & Le Club Accorhotels
it's basically up to the immigration officer's discretion how much hassle they can be bothered going through with verifying the validity of the document
Old Aug 30, 2015, 5:47 am

Originally Posted by garethlewis
it's basically up to the immigration officer's discretion how much hassle they can be bothered going through with verifying the validity of the document
Exactly. And if it's a non-EU country there is typically little they can, or will, do beyond inspecting the passport presented to them.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 8:14 am

My experience is that no one anywhere will tell you that your passport is absolutely 100% ok while at the same time it is a 1% chance there is any problem passing some desk or another somewhere. I have had people tell me I should get a new passport someday but never actually been refused entry anywhere.

I guess you pay your money and take your choice on renewing as soon as you can.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 10:14 am

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by MM00LL2
I have a hairline crack in the laminate on my photo page. The miserable "cow" at PER took delight in telling me she had the right to refuse me entry. Up until then i was oblivious to the damage I caused by sitting on my passport! So best avoid Australia (PER in particular) they're an ungrateful lot! I felt like I was a convict!
Haven't seen an immigration officer on entry to AU for a couple of years now, now that Smartgate is available to British passport holders in all major airports (including PER, though I have never arrived there, only departed).

The laminate is starting to lift at the corners of my passport photo page, though not near the printed part yet. Haven't had any comments yet, though maybe I will if it gets much worse. Within the EU they only take it from me to look at it about half the time, and actually scan it maybe 10-20% of the time. I also use e-gates wherever I can.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by Dan72
Quote:

But that's exactly what we are talking about here; the ability to travel on a damaged document. Your interpretation of what's valid, is really not helpful to those who could be refused travel on a damaged document - something that you acknowledge could happen.

NB the government don't consider damaged passports to be valid. The process for their replacement is more onerous than a simple renewal.
I'll state again ,a passport is valid for travel if it establishes the identity and nationality of the holder-nothing more, nothing less.That includes damaged documents.
The government, certainly not the UK , any other 5CC country or any other EU country have a ' rule' stating damaged passports are not valid for travel.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 1:02 pm

I'll state again ,a passport is valid for travel if it establishes the identity and nationality of the holder-nothing more, nothing less.That includes damaged documents.
The government, certainly not the UK , any other 5CC country or any other EU country have a ' rule' stating damaged passports are not valid for travel.
I can only guess that the experience you draw on is out of date. I have linked to current advice below:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.