Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dover Mayhem

Search this Thread

Old Jul 29, 2015, 5:29 am

Originally Posted by Clint Bint
Why not avoid the whole mess of Dover/Calais and travel from Newhaven to Dieppe instead ?
I second Mr/Ms Bint. Only by avoiding Calais will the local mayor get the point about disruption. For alternatives you can check this website:
Www.aferry.com
Old Jul 29, 2015, 5:33 am

Originally Posted by ajax
You are correct - it is absolutely excellent. I don't know how they do it.
In part by encouraging you (and everyone else) to use it - bear in mind that their mobile apps and services feed back information to Google, so if they guesstimate you're travelling by car (or at least in a motor vehicle) then they can see where there are jams, because everyone slows down there. They'll also get a feed of anonymised location information from one of the mobile operators too - same principle applies.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 5:37 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by Mizter T
In part by encouraging you (and everyone else) to use it - bear in mind that their mobile apps and services feed back information to Google, so if they guesstimate you're travelling by car (or at least in a motor vehicle) then they can see where there are jams, because everyone slows down there. They'll also get a feed of anonymised location information from one of the mobile operators too - same principle applies.
Brilliant - totally logical and easy to collate. Never would've crossed my mind but I can absolutely see how it works. Everyone who enables location tracking is helping save me time - cheers guys
Old Jul 29, 2015, 5:43 am

Kent Police have a regularly updated webpage about Operation Stack on the M20 here - I think this is the best source of the latest information.

For Dover or the Eurotunnel terminal at Folkestone I'd travel via the A2 & M2, and leave plenty of extra time - a connected satnav with real-time traffic, a smartphone with Google Maps or similar for live traffic, a road map and a co-navigator are some of the extra precautions that might come in handy.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 5:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
You should read this:

Amazon Amazon

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.