Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

How often do you start your journeys abroad to avoid APD?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How often do you start your journeys abroad to avoid APD?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2015, 4:56 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I don't book flights from outside the UK to avoid APD so much as to take advantage of lower business-class fares on BA from outside the UK. In fact these savings are often so great that I am willing to pay APD, by incorporating a long stopover in the UK, to gain the ex-EU saving.
I find the APD irksome in principle but often my time and the positioning flights and/or hotels are more expensive than the APD.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's better than paying VAT!
Old Jul 26, 2015, 1:07 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyingcrazy
How cheap is BRU usually? For Brazil and South Korea (where I need to go) its usually AMS thats the cheapest. Ill defs look into BRU if its a good option though.
It varies, sometimes AMS is cheaper. I usually did BRU because I didn't want the extra 90 minute or so train ride from Brussels to Amsterdam, but of course you can easily fly to Amsterdam.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 12:09 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Did anyone ever take advantage of that BA club world DUS/FRA-LHR-HKG-LHR-DUS/FRA for £700 that was available earlier in the year? I think the LHR-HKG-LHR was over £2000.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I'm in SFO at the moment, having done it ex DUB in Business for less than Economy would have cost from LHR. Yes, there's some APD saving, but the bulk is in airfare.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 12:54 am

Did anyone ever take advantage of that BA club world DUS/FRA-LHR-HKG-LHR-DUS/FRA for £700 that was available earlier in the year? I think the LHR-HKG-LHR was over £2000.
I bet you don't put that down to APD.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 6:19 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ft101
I bet you don't put that down to APD.
Yeah probably, not as only £150 of that would be APD.

However what about people using air miles? they probably go abroad sometimes as the bulk of what theyll have to pay will be APD!

For example, a domestic flight in the UK with BA is 4500 aviod plus £17.50 (of which £13 is APD) without APD it would only be £4.50!
Old Jul 28, 2015, 7:32 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
In my Star Alliance (BMI RIP) days, I used to frequently start my journeys abroad. There were reduced rates from Europe zone 2 to Asia, plus less APD, plus half the time, you'd be connecting somewhere like Frankfurt or Zurich anyway, so you could save a fortune.

These days, not so much - or at least, not explicitly the APD, but the overall fare. As I spend a lot of time in CPH, and it's the source of ridiculously cheap fares, it's quite a decent one to wangle. Similarly, DUB is a good bet, as not only do you get some great transatlantic fares, you also recoup some of your time and a lot of your hassle, thanks to preclearance. Plus, I can also fly from an airport much closer to home than LHR.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 3:25 pm

For example, a domestic flight in the UK with BA is 4500 aviod plus £17.50 (of which £13 is APD) without APD it would only be £4.50!
This is incorrect. Taking LHR-MAN as an example, APD is £13 but there is also a passenger service charge of £30, so the total taxes and fees are £43. That's what you pay if you book through IB or another partner. However BA caps Reward Flight Saver fees at £17.50 so that's all you pay. Without APD, you'd still pay £17.50.

For MAN-LHR, the PSC is £14 so that's what you'd pay without APD.

For connecting flights e.g JFK-LHR-MAN the RFS cap doesn't apply, so you actually end up paying more for the domestic (£22 PSC in this case) without APD than you do when booking it as a standalone and paying APD.

It's only on longhaul premium award flights where any worthwhile saving can be made by avoiding APD. JER is the best place to do this from on BA metal awards as it doesn't cost any more avios than starting in LON.
Old Jul 28, 2015, 3:33 pm

Programs: BA Gold & HH Silver
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
JER is the best place to do this from on BA metal awards as it doesn't cost any more avios than starting in LON.

Not since the devaluation!
Old Jul 28, 2015, 3:56 pm

Originally Posted by BLHD
Not since the devaluation!
The devaluation hasn't affected domestic connections on long-haul awards, only shorthaul. JER-LON-NYC still costs the same avios as LON-NYC.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 7:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ldnn1
It's only on longhaul premium award flights where any worthwhile saving can be made by avoiding APD. JER is the best place to do this from on BA metal awards as it doesn't cost any more avios than starting in LON.
That's a nice tip ^
Old Aug 1, 2015, 9:26 am

Yeah probably, not as only £150 of that would be APD.
As per post #15, the APD saved is £58.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by ft101
As per post #15, the APD saved is £58.
That would be for an Economy Fare. APD = £71

For any other cabin it is £26 within Band 1 (essentially Europe) and £142 for rest of world.
Old Aug 1, 2015, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
That would be for an Economy Fare. APD = £71

For any other cabin it is £26 within Band 1 (essentially Europe) and £142 for rest of world.
Indeed. The point I was trying to make was that the APD is usually only a small part of any saving. In this case £129 if the positioning flight is in Y, or £116 if in J, from a saving of c £1,300.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.