Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can a visitor give birth in the UK?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2015, 6:59 pm
Rea
Original Poster

Talking Can a visitor give birth in the UK?

Hi,
I'm from Trinidad and Tobago, that's in the Caribbean, but I live and work in Turkey. I don't want to give birth in Turkey, and find it a bit hard to travel all the way back home to give birth. Can I give birth in the UK? I think I would feel much safer as everyone around me would be speaking english. I don't like the hospital service I've been getting in Turkey as well. My nearest embassy is also in the UK.

How much does it cost with the NHS?
I was looking at Ireland as I have friends there, also rent rates there are within my budget. Good idea or bad idea?
I don't require a visa to enter the UK, we usually enter and get stamped for 6 months. Should I do it this way or get a proper medical visa? I've been visiting the UK almost every Christmas for the past 5 years since there's no Christmas festivites here in Turkey and it's always lovely there especially that time of year

'Any' advice would be great, thanks and take care!

PS. We're having twins
Old Jul 19, 2015, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Your issue is whether or not an airline will fly you close to your due date.

Also many countries no longer operate the 'born in = citizen' of system of citizenship.

As you are not ordinarily resident - i.e. minimum expected stay of 6 months - in the UK you will be charged by the NHS. It will be several thousands of pounds.

I hope you have a good private medical insurance policy and that you declared you were pregnant.

You chose to live and work and get pregnant in Turkey. You need to live with that decision and not expect other countries tax payers to pay for your decisions.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 8:25 pm

Programs: ihg plat, hh gold, hertz 5*
http://www.maternityaction.org.uk/si...hscareinfo.pdf
You would not be refused maternity care in the UK, but may be asked to pay for it. There is no simple answer for how much it may cost.

How much will maternity care cost?
The amount you will be asked to pay will depend on the care that you and your baby need. Each NHS trust sets its own charges.

If you are asked to pay, you will be given an estimate of the charges.
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
You chose to live and work and get pregnant in Turkey. You need to live with that decision and not expect other countries tax payers to pay for your decisions.
I think that is unnecessarily rude.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by big_mac
I think that is unnecessarily rude.

I don't care if you think it is rude or not.

The OP saying that she doesn't want to give birth in Turkey because no one (and I find that hard to believe) speaks English isn't rude??

When you move to another country the healthcare system should form part of the decision whether or not to move there.

A lot of people will think what she is planning is an abuse of the NHS.

That she qualifies for a UK visa and a few visits for Christmas does not mean she qualifies for NHS treatment.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 9:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Obstipation tends to make the elderly obstreperous.

Congratulations on your twins. As twin births are more complicated and hazardous than singletons, it is probably wise to seek a country with high level medical care.

I suggest you contact Trinidad and Tobago's NHS and find out from them if there are reciprocal arrangements with the UK NHS regarding coverage. Otherwise, it is likely to be expensive if you do not have other medical insurance.

I wish you the best with your new additions to the family.

Last edited by Doc Savage; Jul 19, 2015 at 9:06 pm
Old Jul 20, 2015, 3:06 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
I don't care if you think it is rude or not.

The OP saying that she doesn't want to give birth in Turkey because no one (and I find that hard to believe) speaks English isn't rude??

When you move to another country the healthcare system should form part of the decision whether or not to move there.

A lot of people will think what she is planning is an abuse of the NHS.

That she qualifies for a UK visa and a few visits for Christmas does not mean she qualifies for NHS treatment.
I agree. I fund the NHS through the taxes that I pay. I am more than happy for the OP to come here and give birth - providing that she pays for that service.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 4:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Rea
Hi,
I'm from Trinidad and Tobago, that's in the Caribbean, but I live and work in Turkey. I don't want to give birth in Turkey, and find it a bit hard to travel all the way back home to give birth. Can I give birth in the UK?
'Any' advice would be great, thanks and take care!

PS. We're having twins
Congratulations on the soon-to-be twins. Much more blessing than curse: but life is going to get more expensive ...

As a visitor you'll not be refused by the NHS, but you could be billed. The UK is getting sticky about non-resident treatment: and though I imagine it's more "theatre" than ingrained practice - you might find a zealous administrator who chases up your entitlement to treatment. You could, of course, be long gone by the time the NHS cranks itself into issuing a bill. I'd imagine hospitals outside London, less accustomed to treating visitors, would be a better bet.

You might have trouble travelling anywhere close to your due date - particularly as your condition is likely to make the pregnancy super-obvious. So you'd probably be thinking of staying with friends in the UK for sometime before the day arrives, and that might help you establish credentials as a "resident" in NHS terms. Indeed it would be helpful to get yourself registered with a GP and imbedded in the ancillary services provided during pregnancy.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 4:58 am
Rea
Original Poster

Hi,
Thanks for responding. I did ask for the NHS cost, so I will be paying for it obviously and not taking you hard-earned tax-payers' dollars lol. It's just we're having twins which is a mighty big surprise and I believe I'll get the best care in the UK since it will be a multiple birth. I've done some research and I seem to be finding old threads and info from around 2009, saying the cost is around 5,000.gbp. I guess I can come with that amount plus a credit card to offset extra costs.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 5:02 am

Programs: QFF Bronze, EK Skywards Blue
Certain non-eu countries have reciprocal healthcare agreements.
For example, Australia does with the uk and Sweden
It only covers emergencies though.
For example if an Australian woman entered the uk 5 months pregnant and had an emergency caesar at 6 months, I think I would be covered.
Emergency surgery to stabilise a patient would bo covered, but not any follow -up surgery once a patient is deemed fit to be discharged.
Although I assume if the Australian were deemed fit to be discharged but then subsequently was not well enough to fly home and remained in the UK whilst recuperating, if they then were hospitalised again, any emergency treatment would still be covered.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 5:59 am

Programs: ihg plat, hh gold, hertz 5*
Trinidad and Tobago does not have a reciprocal agreement http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthc...countries.aspx

Just to be clear, 'all maternity treatment, including routine antenatal care is classed as immediately necessary treatment'. This should not be refused.

The only question left is the cost of such care, which was one of the original questions (which should at least have been treated in a 'friendly, respectful, welcoming manner', as per Flyertalk rules).
Old Jul 20, 2015, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Rea
Hi,
Thanks for responding. I did ask for the NHS cost, so I will be paying for it obviously and not taking you hard-earned tax-payers' dollars lol. It's just we're having twins which is a mighty big surprise and I believe I'll get the best care in the UK since it will be a multiple birth. I've done some research and I seem to be finding old threads and info from around 2009, saying the cost is around 5,000.gbp. I guess I can come with that amount plus a credit card to offset extra costs.
Perhaps worth remembering that once you are prepared to pay fees, then you are not confined to the NHS in the UK. The Portland is a maternity-foussed hospital in central London with an excellent reputation: hospitals outside London will be cheaper.

http://www.theportlandhospital.com/m...nity-services/

http://www.theportlandhospital.com/u...led-prices.pdf
Old Jul 20, 2015, 7:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you have private medical cover then I see nothing to worry about giving birth in Istanbul. I'm sure they will have some very good hospitals.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 8:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
What's worrisome here was the instant assumption that OP was intending to freeload on the NHS. It turns out that she intends no such thing and is simply seeking out top-notch medical treatment which is, of course, available in the UK.

OP really does need to start with medical advice here as a late pregnancy trip of this length may be inadviseable and will certainly require documentation by any air carrier.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
I am fairly certain that a lot of people in the UK are cynical about anything remotely like this. I am.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 10:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
I am fairly certain that a lot of people in the UK are cynical about anything remotely like this. I am.
I have to say a dark thought did cross my mind.

The impression I got was that the OP was planning on flying in at the last minute, turning up at an NHS hospital as she went into labour, have the twins delivered then pay at the checkout when leaving.
Not sure it's as easy as that. Although it wouldn't surprise me if it was.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.