Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Can a visitor give birth in the UK?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2015, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Calchas
Personally if I was going to have a bloke or a lady fiddling around with my nether regions in a potentially risky medical procedure I would like to speak the same language—fluently.

Even having a haircut abroad makes me nervous so a double-baby extraction would definitely be planned for an English speaking country
Hmm some Doctors in the UK cant manage this either.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 1:40 am

we all have Danish passports and we were still questioned by the immigration officer
You should have raised a formal complaint about this. EU citizens have a RIGHT to enter other EU countries, and EU Immigration Officers are not allowed to question EU citizens.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 3:23 am
Rea
Original Poster

Congratulations!

Personally if I was going to have a bloke or a lady fiddling around with my nether regions in a potentially risky medical procedure I would like to speak the same language—fluently.

Even having a haircut abroad makes me nervous so a double-baby extraction would definitely be planned for an English speaking country

IST-LHR is not half way around the world. It's about four hours flying time. You can fly there have lunch and come home again.
Originally Posted by origin
Hmm some Doctors in the UK cant manage this either.
There's also lots of foreign staff working in the UK, right? Like Nigerians and Philipinos doctors. I hope they uphold the standards the UK are known for; quality and safety. As well it's not normal twins we have where you see them together. If you see my ultrasound pics they look like they have their own apartments lol They are encased in two seperate gestational sacs, not uncommon but rare.

Last edited by Rea; Jul 23, 2015 at 3:34 am
Old Jul 23, 2015, 4:23 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by Rea
There's also lots of foreign staff working in the UK, right? Like Nigerians and Philipinos doctors. I hope they uphold the standards the UK are known for; quality and safety.
36% of NHS doctors qualified overseas, the majority from the Sub-continent. Every single one of them, and indeed every doctor in the UK, upholds the quality and safety standards mandated by the General Medical Council, otherwise they would be prohibited from practicing here. Ultimately, this is the system we have here and it works for us. As you have made it clear that you are choosing in which country to give birth, you need to weigh all of these factors into your decision. If you find that you do not approve of the standards mandated by the GMC, then you should choose elsewhere.

Originally Posted by Rea
As well it's not normal twins we have where you see them together. If you see my ultrasound pics they look like they have their own apartments lol They are encased in two seperate gestational sacs, not uncommon but rare.
You have diamnionic twins. It is not uncommon at all. They might share a placenta, they might not. All fraternal twins have separate amnionic sacs as they are two separate fertilised eggs, thus they are all diamnionic. Sometimes the placentae of fraternal twins fuse (making them monochorionic) and sometimes they remain separate (making them dichorionic). Sometimes identical twins share an amnionic sac (making them monoamnionic) and sometimes they don't. Sometimes they share a placenta and sometimes they don't. The amnionic and chorionic statuses of identical twins depend on when in the gestational cycle the zygote divides. The earlier in the gestational cycle the zygote divides, the higher the chances of diamniony/dichoriony.

Look forward to your waters breaking twice.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 4:28 am

Originally Posted by Aviatrix
You should have raised a formal complaint about this. EU citizens have a RIGHT to enter other EU countries, and EU Immigration Officers are not allowed to question EU citizens.
Quite. I find this surprising.

Tell me, as I have often been curious: can an EU citizen ever be denied entry to an EU member state by a border guard based on an on-the-spot decision? or does it require prior intervention by a higher authority (e.g., the Home Secretary). I remember there being a big hoo-hah a few years back when Geert Wilders was denied entry by the HS of the day (who I believe was Jacqui Smith, or maybe John Reed, or maybe Charles Clarke). In other words, can the border guard ever say "You look fishy; I'm not going to let you in"?

I know that, for instance, I cannot be kept out of the US as I am a US citizen, and the only purpose of the US border guard is to verify that my passport is valid and I am the person on it. Obviously I do not often remind them of this but we both know it
Old Jul 23, 2015, 5:40 am
Rea
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ajax
36% of NHS doctors qualified overseas, the majority from the Sub-continent. Every single one of them, and indeed every doctor in the UK, upholds the quality and safety standards mandated by the General Medical Council, otherwise they would be prohibited from practicing here. Ultimately, this is the system we have here and it works for us. As you have made it clear that you are choosing in which country to give birth, you need to weigh all of these factors into your decision. If you find that you do not approve of the standards mandated by the GMC, then you should choose elsewhere.

You have diamnionic twins. It is not uncommon at all. They might share a placenta, they might not. All fraternal twins have separate amnionic sacs as they are two separate fertilised eggs, thus they are all diamnionic. Sometimes the placentae of fraternal twins fuse (making them monochorionic) and sometimes they remain separate (making them dichorionic). Sometimes identical twins share an amnionic sac (making them monoamnionic) and sometimes they don't. Sometimes they share a placenta and sometimes they don't. The amnionic and chorionic statuses of identical twins depend on when in the gestational cycle the zygote divides. The earlier in the gestational cycle the zygote divides, the higher the chances of diamniony/dichoriony.

Look forward to your waters breaking twice.
Good read! Thx for the info They share nothing everything's seperate. I think it's uncommon here because when I was doing my first ultrasound the doctor called a whole lot of staff in to SEE and it was like National Geographic! They were loud, she spoke more with her colleauges than me. We could hardly get all our questions in and the worst part was we could hardly see anything on the monitor due to many people in the room.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 6:10 am

Quite. I find this surprising.

Tell me, as I have often been curious: can an EU citizen ever be denied entry to an EU member state by a border guard based on an on-the-spot decision? or does it require prior intervention by a higher authority (e.g., the Home Secretary). I remember there being a big hoo-hah a few years back when Geert Wilders was denied entry by the HS of the day (who I believe was Jacqui Smith, or maybe John Reed, or maybe Charles Clarke). In other words, can the border guard ever say "You look fishy; I'm not going to let you in"?

I know that, for instance, I cannot be kept out of the US as I am a US citizen, and the only purpose of the US border guard is to verify that my passport is valid and I am the person on it. Obviously I do not often remind them of this but we both know it
The US is one country, EU is not. A brit will not be stopped at the UK border, but he may be refused entry to France.

It's not quite so much a "hunch" but a suspicion is sufficient. Sweden deported 21 polish citizens yesterday at the border.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 8:02 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Christopher
I think though in the cases you are talking about, citizenship is not granted solely on the basis of birth in the territory - it applies to such circumstances (depending on the country) as the newborn child acquiring no other citizenship at birth or being a foundling.

This is in contrast to the situation that used to apply in jus soli countries such as the UK and Ireland and that still applies in the USA and Canada, where birth in the territory is alone sufficient to confer citizenship (with maybe very limited exceptions).

(In any case, I guess this isn't relevant to this thread because the OP is not seeking a new or extra citizenship for the children.)
The situations to which I'm referring in the EU cover jus soli/country-of-birth-based citizenship in EU countries for those born in applicable countries and who would otherwise be considered stateless. It's a form of jus soli citizenship and available to those who would otherwise be stateless at birth. Sweden is not the only EU country with such jus soli citizenship principles applicable to a very small proportion of births in the EU. Such persons are getting such EU state citizenship based solely on the country being their country of birth, for example, when parents hold no state citizenship status.

The things you learn when "western" governments want to engage in -- or otherwise facilitate -- extrajudicial measures (of various sorts) being used against their own jurisdictional subjects (be they citizens, residents, or otherwise) and push for a change of the rules if only to make people's legal presence and travel rights' situation all the more precarious and subject to even more extreme extrajudicial measures.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 23, 2015 at 8:08 am
Old Jul 23, 2015, 8:10 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by theddo
The US is one country, EU is not. A brit will not be stopped at the UK border, but he may be refused entry to France.

It's not quite so much a "hunch" but a suspicion is sufficient. Sweden deported 21 polish citizens yesterday at the border.
A "suspicion" of what is sufficient for Sweden to deport Polish citizens? Allegedly from where in Sweden were the 21 removed?

I've seen valid British passport users "stopped" at the UK border, with some even "deported". Then again British passports come in different sorts with not all British passports being equal in what they mean.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 23, 2015 at 8:58 am
Old Jul 23, 2015, 8:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I had to have an operation last year....gallbladder removal so nothing serious. My doctor who also works at the hospital in our small town advised I should have it done within four days of the diagnosis but my wife was a tad suspicious so we sought a second opinion in Buenos Aires where they have better facilities and more choice.
Due to having good health insurance we could choose whichever hospital suited us so we decided on the German hospital. After tests there the surgeon (great guy) agreed it would be best to have it out but said there was no rush and it was up to me to decide the date. Two months later I went in and had the operation.
The hospital advertises English amongst the languages spoken....in fact the hospital is the choice for many of the embassy staff in BA the British one included. Not only was his English perfect but most of the important staff spoke English as well....they preferred speaking to me in English rather than Spanish.
I had actually toyed with the idea of returning to the UK to have it done. However I came to the conclusion it was a silly idea. The treatment I got as well as the facilities at the hospital were top notch....probably far better than I would have got in the UK.

I'm sure the OP could receive excellent treatment in Turkey if they do some research first.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 8:47 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
So the OP came back and confirmed that 1) the care will be paid for, and 2) the child will be registering with the embassy for foreign citizenship. Seems everyone in Britain should be happy with this. I'm perfectly happy with it.

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Bingo.
What's the "bingo" meant for? Is that a good bingo or a bad bingo?
Old Jul 23, 2015, 8:51 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by HIDDY
I had to have an operation last year....gallbladder removal so nothing serious. My doctor who also works at the hospital in our small town advised I should have it done within four days of the diagnosis but my wife was a tad suspicious so we sought a second opinion in Buenos Aires where they have better facilities and more choice.
Due to having good health insurance we could choose whichever hospital suited us so we decided on the German hospital. After tests there the surgeon (great guy) agreed it would be best to have it out but said there was no rush and it was up to me to decide the date. Two months later I went in and had the operation.
The hospital advertises English amongst the languages spoken....in fact the hospital is the choice for many of the embassy staff in BA the British one included. Not only was his English perfect but most of the important staff spoke English as well....they preferred speaking to me in English rather than Spanish.
I had actually toyed with the idea of returning to the UK to have it done. However I came to the conclusion it was a silly idea. The treatment I got as well as the facilities at the hospital were top notch....probably far better than I would have got in the UK.

I'm sure the OP could receive excellent treatment in Turkey if they do some research first.
Most of my Turkish friends "fluent" in English are way less fluent in English than my Argentine friends "fluent" in English. And I'm talking about some people who attended some of the best universities in the U.S. While I would be more than ok with having medical services provided to me in Turkey, I would much prefer Buenos Aires or Bangkok to Istanbul when it comes to choice of city for medical services in English.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by ajGoes
Evidently "medical tourism" means something different in the UK than here in the USA. We use it to describe trips to foreign countries to obtain medical care for less money than it would cost here. There's never the expectation that "less money" will mean "no money."
This. I've been hearing/reading about it for things like cosmetic surgery for years. Not sure it's necessarily the best idea, but it seems to work out well for some people . . .
Old Jul 23, 2015, 9:11 am

The US is one country, EU is not.
Got that part, cheers

A brit will not be stopped at the UK border, but he may be refused entry to France.
I am still none the wiser as to when this is possible and when not. Posters above have stated that it is the right of Danish citizens to enter the UK, full stop. I wonder under which circumstances this is not permitted. I suspect it varies by country.

I do recall that Nicholas Sarkozy caught some stick for deporting some Romanian citizens a few years back when they were camping illegally.

Well technically it sounds like they were refused entry, which is not actually the same thing as being deported.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am still none the wiser as to when this is possible and when not. Posters above have stated that it is the right of Danish citizens to enter the UK, full stop. I wonder under which circumstances this is not permitted. I suspect it varies by country.
The exact detail will vary by country, but the free movement rules are pretty rigid. The UK Immigration Directorate instructions Chapter 7 Section 3 say—

4.1 [...] In accordance with Regulation 11(1) all EEA nationals must be admitted to the UK on production of a valid national ID card or passport issued by an EEA state, subject to considerations of public policy, health and security.

An EEA national can only be refused admission and removed on grounds of public policy, public health or public security (see paragraph 7). This includes EEA nationals who are being deported or who are subject to an extant deportation order on arrival (please refer to paragraph 7.4 for full guidance on deportation).

4.2 Examination of EEA nationals
Pursuant to Schedule 2 powers transposed into the EEA Regulations (see paragraph 3) it is appropriate for immigration officers to establish that a person seeking admission as an EEA national is in possession of a valid national ID card or passport issued by an EEA state.

However, beyond this an EEA national should only be questioned where there is strong reason to believe that there may be reasons to refuse admission on grounds of public policy, public health or public security, including when the EEA is subject to an extant deportation order. Otherwise strict limits have been placed on the immigration officer's examination of EEA nationals; as a result of judgments in the ECJ an immigration officer may not require an EEA national to answer questions regarding the purpose and duration of his journey or the financial means available to him (unless such information is relevant to the right of admission of any non-EEA family members).
(Emphasis in original text.)

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...their-families

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.