Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to Pay for a Single Bus Ride in London

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2015, 11:57 am

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
Originally Posted by iceblueshoes
Although I could've sworn that I remember seeing people pay by cash on the bus in the past...
Your eyes did not deceive you if that was before July 2014, when the buses went cashless.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 4:16 pm

Also worth pointing out that you can now get your Oyster refunded at most tube ticket machines as long as the remaining balance is under Ł10 (plus the Ł5 deposit).

This makes it really quick and easy. Previously you had to queue at the counter to get a refund which was annoying.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by Oaxaca
You will catch up soon, primarily because as of Oct 2015, the card companies in USA are shifting the liability to retailers for any signature-based fraudulent card transactions if said retailer has not implemented chip and PIN. Nothing like a bit of incentive...
I wish. The US is going to chip-and-signature, not chip-and-PIN. And no, they're not offering the option of PINs for international use, so they still won't work in chip-and-PIN ticket machines. But credit cards are being reissued en masse this summer to have chips in them.

I've tried my (new American) chip card in the chip readers at Target (major US retailer) and it didn't work, and the majority of card readers I encounter are still not chip-enabled, so I have a feeling it'll be a while before Americans get used to using a chip rather than a magstripe.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Originally Posted by marlborobell
I wish. The US is going to chip-and-signature, not chip-and-PIN. And no, they're not offering the option of PINs for international use, so they still won't work in chip-and-PIN ticket machines. But credit cards are being reissued en masse this summer to have chips in them.

I've tried my (new American) chip card in the chip readers at Target (major US retailer) and it didn't work, and the majority of card readers I encounter are still not chip-enabled, so I have a feeling it'll be a while before Americans get used to using a chip rather than a magstripe.
Yes, it's insane. Target and Home Depot had massive cyber attacks that yielded the credit card information of millions of customers. But do they have chip readers yet - no ! Yet Walmart, which hasn't been attacked, got them installed in a matter of a couple of months. And the insanity of giving our credit cards, with our signatures on the back of them, to waiters in restaurants who take them in the back for 5 minutes or more. Not only can they photocopy the front of the card but also the signature !
Old Jul 19, 2015, 10:07 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive- Blue, Lifemiles, AA Advantage, VIA Rail Preference, Iberia Plus
Originally Posted by JIMCHI
Yes, it's insane. Target and Home Depot had massive cyber attacks that yielded the credit card information of millions of customers. But do they have chip readers yet - no ! Yet Walmart, which hasn't been attacked, got them installed in a matter of a couple of months. And the insanity of giving our credit cards, with our signatures on the back of them, to waiters in restaurants who take them in the back for 5 minutes or more. Not only can they photocopy the front of the card but also the signature !
So weird!
Here in most places in Canada, they bring the machine to your table or have you follow them to pay.
I find fewer and fewer places take your card and then bring it back for you to sign at the table.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 1:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
As a small retailer in the US, I was forced by my credit card service provider to replace my card readers last year - but the chip (and NFC enabled) versions were not yet authorised, so we'll have to replace them again this year. The incompetence and greed of the US banking sector never fails to astonish.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 7:47 am
glg

Originally Posted by marlborobell
I have a couple of Chase cards plus a Chase corporate card from my employer. I've been getting the new cards over the last couple of months. The corporate card came with a PIN and instructions on how to use chip-and-PIN. Consumer ones, no way to get a PIN. It's just insanity.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.