Wiki Posts
Search

Using Apple Pay on the Tube

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2015, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Microwave
Not working for AmEx though, I believe. In my case it certainly isn't.
See this re apple pay / AMEX / TFL

Please note that if you link an American Express card to your Apple Pay account, online support, including journey history is not yet available in your online TfL account.

We expect this will be resolved soon. You will then be able to view your journey history dating back to when you first started using Apple Pay. You will be able to claim refunds for any incomplete journeys. In the meantime, you can claim by calling TfL Customer Services on 0343 222 1234 (TfL call charges)

If you want to claim a service delay refund for a journey you should call TfL Customer Services.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 4:43 am
NFH
Suspended

Programs: BA bronze, Hilton gold, Marriott gold, IHG plat, Meliá gold, Radisson gold, Hyatt disc, AmexPlat
Not working for AmEx though, I believe. In my case it certainly isn't.
I predicted this more than a month before it went live in the UK (to TfL and Amex), but nobody paid attention:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/28669316
Old Aug 4, 2015, 4:48 am
NFH
Suspended

Programs: BA bronze, Hilton gold, Marriott gold, IHG plat, Meliá gold, Radisson gold, Hyatt disc, AmexPlat
Is anyone else finding that TfL's yellow card readers often say "seek assistance" and then it works on the second or third attempt? What is causing this? I also used to have this problem when using physical contactless cards, but it seems to happen more often with Apple Pay.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 6:40 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by NFH
I predicted this more than a month before it went live in the UK (to TfL and Amex), but nobody paid attention:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/28669316
As UKtravelbear mentions (and I alluded to), the issue mentioned above is with AmExes only is expected to be resolved soon.

Originally Posted by NFH
Is anyone else finding that TfL's yellow card readers often say "seek assistance" and then it works on the second or third attempt? What is causing this? I also used to have this problem when using physical contactless cards, but it seems to happen more often with Apple Pay.
Not had that problem with my UK-issued AmEx. With a US-issued Visa it was acting up, giving me red lights.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 4:48 am

Quick data point - I've had no luck using a us issued AmEx or Visa on Tube, but have been able to use those cards at retail locations in London. Not sure why the Tube won't my cards in ApplePay.
Old Oct 5, 2015, 6:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by Ross0
Quick data point - I've had no luck using a us issued AmEx or Visa on Tube, but have been able to use those cards at retail locations in London. Not sure why the Tube won't my cards in ApplePay.
From what I can gather in doing my own research on the topic, the reason for this is that the transactions are run "on-line" meaning it has to go get authorisation when you tap the reader. US-based cards have to get authorisation from the US (where the bank is), and that trip takes too long for the card reader and it times out.

Did you try again immediately after the rejection? Not sure this makes for a good user experience but the one time I was rejected with a US-based card this worked for me. YMMV
Old Oct 5, 2015, 3:59 pm

From what I can gather in doing my own research on the topic, the reason for this is that the transactions are run "on-line" meaning it has to go get authorisation when you tap the reader. US-based cards have to get authorisation from the US (where the bank is), and that trip takes too long for the card reader and it times out.
I am certain that contactless cards (or cards used by Apple Pay) are not authorised with your bank in the fraction of a second that validation takes place on a card reader.

I'd think more about TfL attempting an authorisation subsequent to a card being used, and then hotlisting the specific card from being used again if authorisation was rejected.
Old Oct 6, 2015, 2:10 am

Originally Posted by Mizter T
I am certain that contactless cards (or cards used by Apple Pay) are not authorised with your bank in the fraction of a second that validation takes place on a card reader.

I'd think more about TfL attempting an authorisation subsequent to a card being used, and then hotlisting the specific card from being used again if authorisation was rejected.
If this is the case... what's the cause of the delay? It definitely seems to take longer for foreign cards, and trying again does seem to fix it (the one time I tried it)...
Old Oct 6, 2015, 8:47 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G

Did you try again immediately after the rejection? Not sure this makes for a good user experience but the one time I was rejected with a US-based card this worked for me. YMMV
I didn't bother with contactless until recently, as TSB now gives 5% off on contactless transactions. About 25% of the time it takes 2 attempts for my card to be read, so it may not have anything to do with US cards.

I haven't been charged incorrectly though.
Old Oct 7, 2015, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
You need to hold the card on the reader for distinctly longer than with an Oyster card. Removing it will get an error if done too soon.

Authorizations of contactless cards on the Tube are not done online.
Old Nov 5, 2015, 7:16 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Several of my own making in which I was recently fast-tracked to super-duper-über-elite status
Just got back from a 10 day trip to London. I used ApplePay on the tube the entire time. Only hitch was trying to use a Citi Visa card--it wouldn't take, so I switched to USAA MC for the rest of the time.

Both daily capping and Mon-Sun capping were properly applied. I registered the physical card on the tfl website and was able to see my journey history.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 2:06 am

Originally Posted by stanj
Just got back from a 10 day trip to London. I used ApplePay on the tube the entire time. Only hitch was trying to use a Citi Visa card--it wouldn't take, so I switched to USAA MC for the rest of the time.

Both daily capping and Mon-Sun capping were properly applied. I registered the physical card on the tfl website and was able to see my journey history.
^^ Very good news. Perhaps the system is being continually improved? I continue to use my UK-issued Amex via the Apple Watch and it's working for me 100%.
Old Nov 6, 2015, 10:19 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Several of my own making in which I was recently fast-tracked to super-duper-über-elite status
^^ Very good news. Perhaps the system is being continually improved? I continue to use my UK-issued Amex via the Apple Watch and it's working for me 100%.
It definitely seemed to work better than when I used it in April (before ApplePay was officially supported). Pretty much 100% once I switched to MC, and the few hiccups were my fault.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 1:15 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
I have not used Apple pay yet on the Tube, I am waiting for Barclaycard to sign up and Amex problems to be resolved.

I have been trying and finding retailers who support Apple Pay some of whom do not even realise they do. I guess it depends on the brand, version and type of equipment they use. In many cases I have presented my phone to the contactless terminal and successfully paid despite there being no signs for Apple Pay.

I have had various issues with Amex, much the same as I had when contactless first came out. I am not up to speed with the technical details but I believe Amex uses a slightly different system from Visa and Mastercard and seems to be last in the pecking order for full support by the technology. As it stands I know, McDonalds and Co-operative have trouble with Apple Pay Amex transactions but I am sure these issues will be resolved soon.

As for convenience, personally I think I would prefer to use my phone on the Tube over contactless. Like many, I have several contactless and an Oyster card in my Wallet which means that I need to take my card out before presenting it to the reader. My phone is often a lot more accessible.

My message to any impatient commuter behind me the first time I use it is, "leave 5 seconds earlier and don't blame me for your delay".

It is possible for merchants / retailers to configure Apple Pay to accept limitless transactions above £20 / £30 (due to the extra layer of authentication I don't see an issue with that) . I believe that Apple store and some others may already have done that.
Old Nov 8, 2015, 1:20 am

Programs: BA Executive Club
Regarding limitless Apple Pay transactions: http://contactless.life/2015/07/25/m...le-pay-limits/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.