Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using Apple Pay on the Tube

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2015, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I'm guessing that fruit pay will be more used by visitors than residents / workers who don't want the faff of buying and loading an oyster etc and for whom weekly price caps etc aren't that relavant
Old Jul 17, 2015, 5:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
I'm guessing that fruit pay will be more used by visitors than residents / workers who don't want the faff of buying and loading an oyster etc and for whom weekly price caps etc aren't that relavant
They can just use a normal contactless card presumably
Old Jul 17, 2015, 5:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by Calchas
They can just use a normal contactless card presumably
Indeed but not everywhere in the world has them yet.

But it does give people another option
Old Jul 17, 2015, 6:49 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Jimmie76
There was a lady on my commute yesterday who had her phone out ready to use it and then changed her mind. When I asked her on the way down to the platform why she'd not used it and she said she only had 5% battery left and a long trip to Upminster.

I saw a brilliant idea someone had done with their Oyster card but TFL do not approve of this. He'd taken the NFC Chip and antenna out of the Oyster card (Google it to find out how) and then fitted it to a bracelet. Just put his hand over the reader and it let him through.
One of my iphone cases has a built in card holder space, but the problem I encounter on some NFC-using public transport systems is that a NFC-using bank card messes up my ability to use the public transport system's NFC card when the NFC-using cards are back to back. And then I have to dig the appropriate card out and separate the cards in order for the system to process my payment.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by GUWonder
One of my iphone cases has a built in card holder space, but the problem I encounter on some NFC-using public transport systems is that a NFC-using bank card messes up my ability to use the public transport system's NFC card when the NFC-using cards are back to back. And then I have to dig the appropriate card out and separate the cards in order for the system to process my payment.
The phenomenon you describe is known by TFL and their customers as CardClash. I was sent my new bank card earlier in the year and to my horror it was an NFC equipped one. Having heard the announcements about CardClash endlessly on the tube this would mean I could now suffer too with my annual travel card loaded on my oyster. I phoned my bank and was going to have a small rant about it but I didn't need or get the chance to. The extremely nice lady on the other end of the phone said it wasn’t compulsory to have NFC and she would arrange for me to be sent one without NFC. Someone did show me a wallet that had an RFID blocked section for those cards you don't want to be read by the tube/bus reader.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 3:05 pm

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
There was a lady on my commute yesterday who had her phone out ready to use it and then changed her mind. When I asked her on the way down to the platform why she'd not used it and she said she only had 5% battery left and a long trip to Upminster.

I saw a brilliant idea someone had done with their Oyster card but TFL do not approve of this. He'd taken the NFC Chip and antenna out of the Oyster card (Google it to find out how) and then fitted it to a bracelet. Just put his hand over the reader and it let him through.
I use a glove which holds the card on the back of my hand. During summer i use a sleeve which holds the card on my wrist.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The really brilliant idea is to turn it into a wand and then you can pretend you're a wizard
Old Jul 20, 2015, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
The really brilliant idea is to turn it into a wand and then you can pretend you're a wizard
Yeah I saw that effort and that was the one I think made TFL change their rules on Oyster cards.

More here: http://www.instructables.com/id/Tran...ugru/?ALLSTEPS

And here:www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDM7VU8S3cM
Old Jul 21, 2015, 1:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Oh great, can't wait to get stuck behind people that think a smartphone makes them smart. Computer says no - so eff off out my way please. Oyster, contactless, works just fine, Apple pay only exists because a) it's Apple b) the US couldn't implement chip and PIN.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 1:49 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Oh great, can't wait to get stuck behind people that think a smartphone makes them smart. Computer says no - so eff off out my way please. Oyster, contactless, works just fine, Apple pay only exists because a) it's Apple b) the US couldn't implement chip and PIN.
I'm not even sure where to start with this...
Old Jul 22, 2015, 3:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Microwave
I'm not even sure where to start with this...
What does your phone advise?
Old Jul 23, 2015, 6:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
I double click on my Apple Watch about 3 steps before reaching the gates and just wave my hand over the reader without missing a step. Works like a dream.

The watch can remain even under the shirt shelve or jacket.

To be honest, this is the first really useful function that the Apple Watch has offered me. No struggling to find wallet, card or phone. No concern that someone might see the PIN or even the card number.

Last edited by KenJohn; Jul 23, 2015 at 6:34 am
Old Jul 23, 2015, 8:42 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
What does your phone advise?
Hang on, let me ask Siri...

Originally Posted by KenJohn
I double click on my Apple Watch about 3 steps before reaching the gates and just wave my hand over the reader without missing a step. Works like a dream.

The watch can remain even under the shirt shelve or jacket.

To be honest, this is the first really useful function that the Apple Watch has offered me. No struggling to find wallet, card or phone. No concern that someone might see the PIN or even the card number.
This is exactly my experience. The watch is great with Apple Pay, much better than the phone, and preferred to any card I might be carrying in my wallet. My watch has a sapphire display as well, so no worries about scratching it either.

Fair enough to wonder what iPhone + Apple Pay bring to the table for TfL payments, I agree that it's a less than ideal offering but a "nice to have" if you need it in a pinch. That said, I definitely think Apple Watch + Apple Pay is a big step forward in safety and convenience.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Microwave
Fair enough to wonder what iPhone + Apple Pay bring to the table for TfL payments, I agree that it's a less than ideal offering but a "nice to have" if you need it in a pinch. That said, I definitely think Apple Watch + Apple Pay is a big step forward in safety and convenience.
Lower transaction fees in the short term. Apple Pay also has the support of Visa, Mastercard and AmEx.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 5:55 am

Programs: CM Gold, SK EB Gold, SPG Gold
Has anyone been able to use ApplePay on the Tube with US Credit Cards (Chase Sapphire Preferred or Citi Preferred?)
We tried this at Heathrow yesterday and got the red light (and the display noted "Card not accepted")... ended up buying Oyster Cards instead, which I was hoping not to do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.