Protest On Runway At Heathrow Airport - 13 July

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Protest On Runway At Heathrow Airport - 13 July

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2015, 3:59 am

Programs: BA Gold
What a nightmare way to begin the day! Hopefully the disruption is minimal.

As for the protesters and whether they are trespassers the law is quite clear:

Originally Posted by Criminal Justice and Public Order Act 1994, s. 68
1) A person commits the offence of aggravated trespass if he trespasses on land and, in relation to any lawful activity which persons are engaging in or are about to engage in on that or adjoining land, does there anything which is intended by him to have the effect--
(a) intimidating those persons or any of them so as to deter them or any of them from engaging in that activity,
(b) of obstructing that activity, or
(c) of disrupting that activity.
This reminds of the 'Plane Stupid' protest that happened at STN in 2008. If I recall correctly, they were all charged and convicted of aggravated trespass. They received community work orders rather than custodial sentences.

There are better ways to express a view

H
Old Jul 13, 2015, 4:12 am

Programs: BA - Silver,Hilton-Diamond, IHG - PlatAmb, GHA - Plat
Originally Posted by kered
Far better would be to use those snow ploughs with the rotating blades at the front. Drive flat out in their direction, changing up gear as you go

If they don't get out of the way, then bring out the fire hoses to clean up the mess
+1

We are too namby pamby with these people, water hose them, and if that doesnt work, start a 747 engine test in the area, and see them be blown back to the other side of the fence...
Old Jul 13, 2015, 4:21 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by Hoch
What a nightmare way to begin the day! Hopefully the disruption is minimal.

As for the protesters and whether they are trespassers the law is quite clear:

This reminds of the 'Plane Stupid' protest that happened at STN in 2008. If I recall correctly, they were all charged and convicted of aggravated trespass. They received community work orders rather than custodial sentences.

There are better ways to express a view

H
The fact that they've already been charged with Aviation offences suggests maybe there's a different tack being taken this time. However, the maximum fine under s.39 of the Civil Aviation Act 1982 is currently, I believe, only £1,000 - peanuts compared to the cost of the disruption.

In most cases, the negative publicity of taking civil action dissuades the affected company from taking it further, but in this case HAL might be well advised to seek some damages - relatively small fines are not going to be a barrier to Plane Stupid, or other groups, attempting this again.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 4:38 am

Originally Posted by atmorris
+1

We are too namby pamby with these people, water hose them, and if that doesnt work, start a 747 engine test in the area, and see them be blown back to the other side of the fence...
For consistency, do we get to do this to HAH and airline staff when they cause a delay, eg going on strike?

No, didn't think so....
Old Jul 13, 2015, 4:44 am

Programs: BA Gold, CX Gold (OW Sapphire), Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by atmorris
+1

I'd have left them in situ, and just got a 747 to line up and hold on the brakes a little before rolling.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 4:44 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
To be fair, sitting on the runway for a few hours doesn't seem that bad. It's more comfortable when done inside of a plane though
Old Jul 13, 2015, 4:51 am

I would put money their hippy commune they live in isn't even under the flight path....
Old Jul 13, 2015, 5:07 am

Programs: BAEC
Forgive me if this is a stupid question but given the high levels of security screening inside the airport, why does Heathrow not take their perimeter security much more seriously? If this had been a team of well-trained Daesh militants, rather than a bunch of hippies, they may well have had explosives attached to the bodies of jets long before they were detected.

You'd have thought a second perimeter of razor wire inside the fence with IR beams running in the dead zone between would at least allow time for an armed response team to get anywhere on the airport before a potential terrorist got near an aircraft.

Would anyone care to guess what might have happened if they’d been caught (before chaining themselves up) doing this in a US airport? I suspect body bags would be involved.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 5:09 am

Programs: None anymore
At times like this, I really wish this forum had a "Like" button.

How do we know that everybody who came through that hole in the fence remained with that group?
Old Jul 13, 2015, 5:14 am

Originally Posted by TabTraveller
Forgive me if this is a stupid question but given the high levels of security screening inside the airport, why does Heathrow not take their perimeter security much more seriously? If this had been a team of well-trained Daesh militants, rather than a bunch of hippies, they may well have had explosives attached to the bodies of jets long before they were detected.

You'd have thought a second perimeter of razor wire inside the fence with IR beams running in the dead zone between would at least allow time for an armed response team to get anywhere on the airport before a potential terrorist got near an aircraft.

Would anyone care to guess what might have happened if they’d been caught (before chaining themselves up) doing this in a US airport? I suspect body bags would be involved.

Well the second a bird breaks that IR beam, the airport gets shut down and the bird gets a few rounds of hot lead in the neck. Multiply this by about 20 times a day and oh dear.....
Old Jul 13, 2015, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by 12939
At times like this, I really wish this forum had a "Like" button.

How do we know that everybody who came through that hole in the fence remained with that group?
Every inch of fence is on CCTV. Count them in, count them out. Easy.

Does anyone seriously believe that they could have got near an aircraft without a somewhat more robust response from the Police?
Old Jul 13, 2015, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by Sigwx
Well the second a bird breaks that IR beam, the airport gets shut down and the bird gets a few rounds of hot lead in the neck. Multiply this by about 20 times a day and oh dear.....
I have an IR security system around my premises and it is designed to not trigger when a cat or bird passes through it but will trigger if a human goes through it. I imagine HAL can probably afford similar levels of technological sophistication...
Old Jul 13, 2015, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by Jumbodriver
Every inch of fence is on CCTV. Count them in, count them out. Easy.

Does anyone seriously believe they could get near an aircraft without a somewhat more robust response from the Police?
Yes, they were only detected when they broke the IR beams on the runway itself. It would suggest that they could get near an aircraft, especially if on a remote stand, without being detected.

If everything is covered by CCTV how did they have time to lock themselves up on the runway before the police got to them? At that time of the night with blues and twos on you could have an ARV from one side of the airport to the other in under two minutes.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by TabTraveller
I have an IR security system around my premises and it is designed to not trigger when a cat or bird passes through it but will trigger if a human goes through it. I imagine HAL can probably afford similar levels of technological sophistication...
They were detected straight away though. It's not like the sat there for hours with nobody noticing!

They cut the wire and ran a hundred yards to the runway where they were coralled almost instantaneously.

It's not really very scary.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 5:23 am

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
The fact that they've already been charged with Aviation offences suggests maybe there's a different tack being taken this time. However, the maximum fine under s.39 of the Civil Aviation Act 1982 is currently, I believe, only £1,000 - peanuts compared to the cost of the disruption.

In most cases, the negative publicity of taking civil action dissuades the affected company from taking it further, but in this case HAL might be well advised to seek some damages - relatively small fines are not going to be a barrier to Plane Stupid, or other groups, attempting this again.
Quite. There are various pieces of legislation to charge them with. My comments were more geared towards the absence of an offence of trespassing.

I personally would advocate criminal charges with a view of having community orders issued. Then again, I would . But still a totality of events has to be looked at.

H

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.