Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Protest On Runway At Heathrow Airport - 13 July

Protest On Runway At Heathrow Airport - 13 July

Old Jul 13, 2015, 2:37 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
I wonder why when China is building hundreds of new airports they are only protesting here? Can't care about the environment that much...
Old Jul 13, 2015, 2:39 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by kered
Far better would be to use those snow ploughs with the rotating blades at the front. Drive flat out in their direction, changing up gear as you go

If they don't get out of the way, then bring out the fire hoses to clean up the mess
A grizzly summary execution is just what the situation calls for . I'm surprised that hasn't been moderated, but maybe misunderstand the boundaries of acceptable posting.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 2:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GMLFL, Life 2.0 - Mucci Premiere Classe & des Chevaliers Toulousiens
Originally Posted by Petrus
They are celebrating my birthday
Happy birthday !!

Old Jul 13, 2015, 2:57 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by Worcester
I wonder why when China is building hundreds of new airports they are only protesting here? Can't care about the environment that much...
Too much effort and cost involved in getting to China without flying
Old Jul 13, 2015, 3:00 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by techie
Too much effort and cost involved in getting to China without flying
I'm more than happy to provide a kayak for each and every one of them.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 3:03 am

So far only a small number of BA SH departures cancelled. Fingers crossed that will be it for the day.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Six people have so far been arrested for aviation offences and taken into custody
http://news.sky.com/story/1517885/he...s-storm-runway

BBC London Live says its all over with all emergency vehicles having left the scene.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 3:05 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, United 1K, BA Blue, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum
All the remaining protesters have been removed and emergency vehicles have left the scene. Back to work everyone.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 3:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by techie
All the remaining protesters have been removed and emergency vehicles have left the scene. Back to work everyone.
I don't think anyone at plane stupid works. In fact I am surprised they got up so early, or was night-time for them.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 3:16 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
According to the CPS

Aerodrome Trespass
Section 39 Civil Aviation Act 1982 (Stones 7-5374) makes it an offence to trespass on land forming part of an aerodrome licensed under the Air Navigation Order. You should note that a defendant is not liable under this section unless it can be proved that at the time of the offence notices warning trespassers of their liability could be readily seen near the boundary.
I hope that they get the book thrown at them including civil proceedings to recover losses made by the airport and the airlines.

There is any number of forums to legitimately protest and create debate. This lunatic green fringe has totally failed to gain mainstream public support so they have to opt for this sort of acts.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 3:23 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Originally Posted by origin
I don't think anyone at plane stupid works. In fact I am surprised they got up so early, or was night-time for them.
Trustafarian crusties. Financially, they don't need to work.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 3:26 am

Originally Posted by origin
I don't think anyone at plane stupid works.
I was referring to people who decided to cure their depression of Mondays by following a semi-exciting story that facilitates small talk around a water fountain or kitchenette while making cups of tea/coffee
Old Jul 13, 2015, 3:28 am

Programs: BA Silver, Thameslink Delay Repay
I'm all for doing something about climate change, and good on them for standing up for what they believe in. But surely the way to achieve that is campaigning for cleaner planes rather than running a borderline UKIP-esque anti travel platform ("burning the planet for unnecessary leisure flights").
Old Jul 13, 2015, 3:40 am

Programs: BA Bronze
I am not well versed in the law (at all), but surely there could be a charge of criminal damage as they appear to have cut the chain link fence to access the runway ?

Personally I don't think I will see a third runway in my lifetime - and not because of some protesters.......more to do with procrastination of the politicians.
Old Jul 13, 2015, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Idiocy of the highest order. What would have happened in the (admittedly very unlikely) event that they weren't spotted and a crash had happened? Personally I vote they're tied to the LHR landing lights and then have a few 747 or A380 landings and see if they're still smiling after that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.