Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

UK Transport Strikes 2015: Tube (25-27 Aug NOW POSTPONED), FGW (23, 29-31 Aug)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 6, 2015, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Microwave
Update: station staff now scheduled to strike again for 24 hours from 18:30 BST on Tuesday 25 August, and then again for 24 hours from 18:30 on Thursday 27 August. Full details and impact not yet available, will be here when TfL have had a chance to assess:

https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/tube/tube-strike

There may also be a series of First Great Western strikes (SW England, South Wales, and areas West of London from Paddington Station) on 23rd, 29th, 30th and 31st August 2015. Details are here:

https://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/strike

The linked sites should have the most up-to-date information.

Expected effect on transport from the airports:

• Heathrow will have no Piccadilly Line service. All other services will be unaffected, including those to/from Paddington, although expect overcrowding at Paddington, and potential knock-on delays. Heathrow Connect services are jointly operated by FGW, but are expected to run as normal.
  • City Airport DLR services will be unaffected, as it is not part of the strike, but there will be no Tube connections, and services will be overcrowded as commuters seek alternative routes.
  • Gatwick rail services will be unaffected during the Tube strike, but expect overcrowding on Thameslink services, particularly in central London, as people look for alternative routes to their destination.
  • Stansted rail services will be unaffected, but there will be no Victoria Line connection at Tottenham Hale.
  • Luton rail services will be unaffected by Thameslink, but expect overcrowding, particularly in central London, as people look for alternative routes to their destination.
  • Southend rail services will be unaffected.
  • Rhoose Cardiff International Airport rail services are operated by Arriva Trains Wales and will be unaffected, but connections at Cardiff Central may be.
  • Southampton Airport Parkway rail services are operated by South West Trains and CrossCountry, and so are unaffected, but connections at Southampton Central for FGW services to Cardiff will be.
  • During the Tube strike, expect widespread road disruption in and around London, long queues for buses at popular termini, and full buses to pass stops elsewhere. This is a day for direct trains, walking and cycling! Taxis from the airports will be slow, expensive and scarce.
  • During the FGW strike, in London use the TfL Tube & Rail Services map to find alternative routes to your destination. All passengers would be well advised to check online in advance if you must travel on a train operator affected by strike action.

This is a wikipost. Please edit with more information as you see fit.
Print Wikipost

UK Transport Strikes 2015: Tube (25-27 Aug NOW POSTPONED), FGW (23, 29-31 Aug)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2015, 7:55 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe
Original Poster

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
If you're doing it that way, you'll probably end up going to Victoria, then taking the District Line to Barons Court and changing to the Piccadilly Line from there. Be aware that there's some quite heavy construction going on at Victoria Underground station. This will take about 2h.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 8:03 am

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by stut
If you're doing it that way, you'll probably end up going to Victoria, then taking the District Line to Barons Court and changing to the Piccadilly Line from there. Be aware that there's some quite heavy construction going on at Victoria Underground station. This will take about 2h.
Yup - thanks. I've done the Tube across London many times in the past so am pretty familiar with the process. I should also just have one rolling suitcase, so nothing I can't schlep around with me for a while.
Old Aug 6, 2015, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by alanR
As is usual - London = UK

London = England = UK

Back to the strike... my co-worker actually was allowed to rebook her BA ticket for a later date due to the strike in London. YMMV, of course. Nothing on BA's website mentions this, but when she call BA(US) and explained how her travels would be affected by the Tube strike, they allowed her to change without penalty.
Old Aug 12, 2015, 2:16 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-33866704

Station staff now scheduled to strike again for 24 hours from 18:30 BST on Tuesday 25 August, and then again for 24 hours from 18:30 on Thursday 27 August. Interestingly, the drivers have not yet agreed to strike on these days... and of course discussions are ongoing so who knows what will end up happening.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Title updated. Please feel free to edit the wikipost as you see fit!

stut
UK & Ireland
Old Aug 24, 2015, 11:07 am

Programs: UA
Aug 25-27 Tube Strike Postponed

Aug 24th : The London Evening Standard reports that the Tube strike for this week has been postponed to Sept 8-10
Old Aug 24, 2015, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Reported by the BBC here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-34045753
Old Aug 25, 2015, 4:57 am

Programs: AX/Accor/IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Carlson Gold, BA Silver, KM Permanent, JJC (Retd)
You can thank me for that.
I need to get to Heathrow from St Pancras on Friday evening, so I bought a HEx ticket.

Not only have they cancelled the tube strike, but they've lowered the price of HEx tickets.

Last time when they kept the strikes, I didn't buy anything.

The time before when they cancelled the strikes, I had bought a pre-paid hotel room.

See a pattern?
Old Sep 2, 2015, 3:21 am

What are people's views about whether the 8-10th tube strikes taking place?
Old Sep 2, 2015, 3:24 am
formerly known as ravishah

Originally Posted by Simon Schus
What are people's views about whether the 8-10th tube strikes taking place?
They have been cancelled was on the news yesterday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.