Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A 15 year old visits London

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2015, 7:41 am
Original Poster

A 15 year old visits London

I am visiting London for a week in August with my 15 year old. We have all the usual boxes checked (Tower, Eye, Abbey and so on) but I was wondering what we hadn't thought of that would be good. Any suggestions - including suggestions for day trips outside of London? Thanks very much.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 7:51 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
What are they into? History? Science? Shopping? Architecture? Hiking? Certain sports?
Old Jul 1, 2015, 7:54 am
Original Poster

science, planes/transportation, food, design, some sports (football, tennis)
Old Jul 1, 2015, 8:41 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
Science Museum in London should be on your list then, along with the nearby V&A for design stuff. The Thames Barrier out in Docklands could be of interest to, you could combine that with a visit to the Greenwich Observatory and/or the National Maritime Museum

If you want to get out of London, York has a pretty old historic centre, a nice train ride there/back, and a railway museum

If you're there a week, you should be able to find an interesting home football game to go to. Depending on interest, either splash out on tickets for a big match from a well known side, or pick a first division club and have a cheaper match where you'll be closer to the action in a smaller stadium. Tennis wise, you could always head down to Wimbledon to see the museum and look around, not sure if you'd be able to watch any matches though
Old Jul 1, 2015, 8:48 am

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
You can same some money on the cost of many of your attractions by using a 2 for 1 voucher in conjunction with a valid RAIL (not tube!) ticket.

More information on this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-i...ide-2for1.html

The advice is still good, and useful if you also need a ticket to go around London, or further out. You must buy a paper travelcard from a ticket counter at a mainline rail station - not from the tube ticket counters.

Edited to add:
Here's a really clear guide to the 2-1-4 on Tripadvisor: http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-....1.Offers.html

Last edited by MAN Pax; Jul 1, 2015 at 9:00 am
Old Jul 1, 2015, 8:53 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Depending on whether civil or military aircraft are more interesting, there is the RAF museum at Hendon, and the IWM Duxford. There's also the extremely odd Shuttleworth Collection, near me in Biggleswade (although a little distance from the town - only walkable if you know how...)

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 8_3 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/600.1.4 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/8.0 Mobile/12F70 Safari/600.1.4)

Design museum is also worth seeing separate from the V&A

Programs: A3 *G, BA Silver
And to add another places to visit Imperial War Museum at Duxford (http://www.iwm.org.uk/visits/iwm-duxford) A great place to spend the day.

Of course, if you go on the train, you also have a ticket for your 2-4-1 attractions....

Also second the idea of a trip to York - for the railway museum and many other attractions. Book tickets on the train ASAP for the cheapest prices if you want to visit.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

London Transport Museum is always a winner.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 11:59 am

Programs: ihg plat, hh gold, hertz 5*
Originally Posted by MAN Pax
You can same some money on the cost of many of your attractions by using a 2 for 1 voucher in conjunction with a valid RAIL (not tube!) ticket.
Bear in mind that a paper travelcard is now significantly more expensive than using Oyster.

My sciency suggestions are the Faraday museum at the Royal Institution and Bletchley Park (40 mins from London).
Old Jul 1, 2015, 1:51 pm

Originally Posted by MAN Pax
And to add another places to visit Imperial War Museum at Duxford (http://www.iwm.org.uk/visits/iwm-duxford) A great place to spend the day.
And if you hire a car, you could combine a morning visit to Duxford with an afternoon in Cambridge, finished off with an early evening punt along the river.

It's an easy drive up to Cam and one of my favourite days out for foreign visitors.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 1:36 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
London Transport Museum, V&A and Science Museum would be winners in my book.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 1:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by big_mac
My sciency suggestions are the Faraday museum at the Royal Institution and Bletchley Park (40 mins from London).
That would be great if your boy enjoyed The Imitation Game.

I would go for the Design Museum, plus all the cool stuff around Kings Cross - let's face it, Britain is not on the top of the world when it comes to modern science, but is when it comes to Design.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 2:39 am

Programs: The Embassy
Oxford is an easy and rewarding day trip
Old Jul 2, 2015, 3:53 am

If you head to Oxford, you've got several great and free museums! The Museum of the History of Science is very central (Broad Street), and has some interesting + different stuff in it. The Pitt Rivers museum is brilliant and quirky, often described as an "Indiana Jones" museum! Ashmolean is good too, but probably just pick one or two rooms to see as it's got so much in. Other than that, pick one or two colleges to look round, maybe wander round Christchurch Meadows or the University Parks, and spend an hour punting. Oh, and a pub or two, but that'll be more fun if you return in 3 years when you can both enjoy a pint!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.