Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Closure of Heathrow Terminal 1 from 30 June

Old Jun 29, 2015, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

The last flight to Hanover (BA0970) left just over an hour ago.

BBC News - London Heathrow Airport bids farewell to Terminal 1
Old Jul 2, 2015, 2:21 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
I won't miss T1, not even a teeny weeny itty bitty bit.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 2:27 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
I will. I know it harks back to the days when Heathrow was an incoherent, cobbled-together mess of dark corridors and sticky grey/green carpet, but things just worked in those days. bmi flew me to Amsterdam weekly, and gave me insane amounts of air miles for the privilege. You could be through to the gate 16 lounge in no time, and the staff there would always know the right time to call you down to waltz on board (well, walking past a broken travelator).

It all seemed so much friendlier and more accessible. The time T1 really went downhill is when the long-haul flights moved over.

#rosetintedspecs
Old Jul 2, 2015, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
I certainly have nostalgic memories of weekly day trips to EDI from T1. The BMI lounge was opposite the BA lounge. BA operated a shuttle service. The office always gave me full fare tickets, so I'd book the 8am up and the 20:40 return on BMI. On the way up, I'd leave 20 minutes from the car to flight time. If BMI were running late, I'd simply cross the corridor and get on the BA flight. It was a dump, but friendly, convenient and extremely easy to use.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
But then, I also have memories of quite a few years flying UA out of T1. I remember thinking what an enormous improvement it was over T3. Check in was much faster and more spacious, security rarely had the nightmare lines of T3, the *A lounge was better than UA's in T3 and the gate areas in the Europier (and, subsequently what is now T2B) were infinitely superior to anything in T3.

Of course, T2 is a huge improvement over that and is really an excellent terminal - one of my favourites of any airport.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.