Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

London-St.Pancras area hotel - On a budget?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

London-St.Pancras area hotel - On a budget?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2015, 4:45 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by iceblueshoes
I'm a bit more partial to a chain because they're more likely to be able to hold my luggage while I go out and explore during the day.
I've left luggage at the Crescent and I'm pretty sure I've left it at the Euro. You can call to confirm but I'd be very surprised if any of the Cartwright Gardens hotels wouldn't provide the service.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 5:11 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
There's also a left luggage place at St Pancras (near the back, between Boots and Monsoon) if it comes to it... But I can't remember the last time any hotel refused to look after luggage for me.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 10:45 pm

I've stayed at the Premier Inn near London King's Cross before and it was ok. Not too expensive.
Old Jun 20, 2015, 3:18 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
Sorry but by rail card do you mean the oyster card? if so I have that one! And I presume it's a train that runs on the National Express?
No, I meant something like a Network Railcard, which gets you 1/3 off train trips in the south east of England. There are others too, such a Family Railcard, Two Together etc, but those won't apply for a single traveller.

If you're flying into Heathrow, and wanting to spend the day in London, then staying out near Luton or Bedford wouldn't make much sense unless there was some big event on in London and the cheap hotels were all sold out. If you just wanted somewhere cheap but nice to crash it could work, and it's more viable if you're coming in from the north or east.

(I've personally stayed near Luton or Bedford a few times now before or after Eurostar trips, as it was quick + much cheaper than London + roughly suited where I needed to come from / go to!)
Old Jun 20, 2015, 1:36 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
The Travelodge Kings Cross Royal Scot is available at GBP 67 (CAD 130) on your dates and is about 10 mins walk from St Pancras. That's a non-refundable rate though, it's about CAD 40 more to make it flexible. You might find cheaper rates at some of the small guest-house style hotels nearby, maybe GBP 5-10 cheaper. Otherwise the Ibis is not a bad option.

With your itinerary I don't think it's worth staying further out, you won't save that much and knowing you can walk to the Eurostar gives peace of mind in the morning.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive- Blue, Lifemiles, AA Advantage, VIA Rail Preference, Iberia Plus
Originally Posted by iluvcruising2
I've stayed at the Premier Inn near London King's Cross before and it was ok. Not too expensive.
I'll look into it. Thanks!
Originally Posted by Gagravarr
No, I meant something like a Network Railcard, which gets you 1/3 off train trips in the south east of England. There are others too, such a Family Railcard, Two Together etc, but those won't apply for a single traveller.

If you're flying into Heathrow, and wanting to spend the day in London, then staying out near Luton or Bedford wouldn't make much sense unless there was some big event on in London and the cheap hotels were all sold out. If you just wanted somewhere cheap but nice to crash it could work, and it's more viable if you're coming in from the north or east.

(I've personally stayed near Luton or Bedford a few times now before or after Eurostar trips, as it was quick + much cheaper than London + roughly suited where I needed to come from / go to!)
Just checked it out and I don't think it would be good for me, since I don't get to London often enough to get the £30 worth for the discount. Still I learned something new and thanks!
Originally Posted by Oaxaca
The Travelodge Kings Cross Royal Scot is available at GBP 67 (CAD 130) on your dates and is about 10 mins walk from St Pancras. That's a non-refundable rate though, it's about CAD 40 more to make it flexible. You might find cheaper rates at some of the small guest-house style hotels nearby, maybe GBP 5-10 cheaper. Otherwise the Ibis is not a bad option.

With your itinerary I don't think it's worth staying further out, you won't save that much and knowing you can walk to the Eurostar gives peace of mind in the morning.
Since it seems the Ibis hotel went up to $200 in price, the Travelodge is looking like the winner now...
Just out of curiousity are Tesco's and such generally open that early? I've only been up early like 5-6am-ish when they're obviously closes.
I'd like to pick up a breakfast before getting on the train if possible, but can also get something the night before if need be.
Old Jun 21, 2015, 9:19 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
Just out of curiousity are Tesco's and such generally open that early? I've only been up early like 5-6am-ish when they're obviously closes.

I'd like to pick up a breakfast before getting on the train if possible, but can also get something the night before if need be.
Weekdays they should be, especially the smaller Metro ones. That said, there's an M&S in St Pancras that should be open very early, right by Eurostar checkin. There's also several cafes and things before checkin, and a Caffe Nero after checkin, and the buffet on board, so you should have quite a few options!

Most of the supermarket websites have store finders on their sites, along with opening hours, so you ought to be able to search and check locations plus timings in advance
Old Jun 21, 2015, 11:14 pm

The Tesco Metro on Caledonian Road opens at 6.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 2:26 pm

I have stayed at the Ibis/Euston, which I found to be within reasonable walking distance of the St. Pancras station.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 4:35 pm

Programs: ihg plat, hh gold, hertz 5*
Since it seems the Ibis hotel went up to $200 in price, the Travelodge is looking like the winner now...
Just be aware that it's very much 'no-frills'. They will not hold luggage, wifi is charged, as is early check-in (£10 for noon, 3pm normally).
In St Pancras station, Starbucks is 24-hours, Pret is open from 5am.
Old Jun 25, 2015, 9:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive- Blue, Lifemiles, AA Advantage, VIA Rail Preference, Iberia Plus
Originally Posted by big_mac
Just be aware that it's very much 'no-frills'. They will not hold luggage, wifi is charged, as is early check-in (£10 for noon, 3pm normally).
In St Pancras station, Starbucks is 24-hours, Pret is open from 5am.
That I wasn't aware of... but still something to consider I suppose...
Old Jul 1, 2015, 8:13 pm
Original Poster

So I'm leaning towards the Premier Inn at Kings Cross:
http://www.premierinn.com/en/hotel/K...on-kings-cross

If I book it now, its £80 vs. £90for being able to cancel. I'm thinking it's prob better to pay the extra bit to have the option to cancel should the Ibis drop in price again.

Just wondering, if anyone's been to this location? Seems close enough to walk in the morning to St. Pancras. Just want some input in the event I do end up sticking with it.
Mainly will they hold luggage?

Thanks again!
Old Jul 2, 2015, 8:35 am

From this Premier Inn webpage...

Do Premier Inn hotels provide luggage room facilities?

Most of our hotels have luggage room facilities, however some do not therefore it is advisable to check with the hotel direct. For contact details, please see your chosen hotel's details page using our Find a hotel search facility.
Don't know why this fact can't be shown on the hotel specific information page on their website, but so be it.

It is incredibly close - it's next door to King's Cross station, which is itself next door to St Pancras station. It's also just around the corner from the aforementioned Tesco Metro store on Caledonian Road.

[Edit] They show an 0871 number for calling the hotel directly, but this is more expensive than a normal number - instead you could try 020 7812 0100 (international +44 20 7812 0100).

Last edited by Mizter T; Jul 2, 2015 at 8:42 am
Old Jul 2, 2015, 8:47 am

That's a pretty good hotel, that - in a surprisingly quiet location off York Way, directly opposite the east side of King's Cross.

If they don't have left luggage facilities, there is one underneath the Parcel Yard pub (to the right of platform 9) in King's Cross.
Old Jul 2, 2015, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.3.1.2708 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Originally Posted by stut
That's a pretty good hotel, that - in a surprisingly quiet location off York Way, directly opposite the east side of King's Cross.

If they don't have left luggage facilities, there is one underneath the Parcel Yard pub (to the right of platform 9) in King's Cross.
Thanks guys!

I'll book it tonight!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.