Fish tacos in London?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2015, 1:11 am

Fish tacos in London?

I'm sensing the need for a mini-do at Lupita
Old Jun 17, 2015, 1:49 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
I'd be up for that. I work just down from Commercial St when I'm in London, and it's only a 10-15 minute cycle down towards Charing Cross...
Old Jun 17, 2015, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Taco Bell had several branches in London about 30 years ago (I know there was one near Goodge Street station and another near Earls Court station) but they closed down.

Mexican food has largely been associated with cheap and greasy and major binge drinking sessions and it's only been in the last five or ten years that any form of good Mexican started to appear in London - and it's still rare. Once you reach the burbs around London, you will still only find establishments that focus more on the tequila than the taco.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 5:27 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
Taco Bell had several branches in London about 30 years ago (I know there was one near Goodge Street station and another near Earls Court station) but they closed down.
There are Taco Bell's in the UK now, just none in London strangely enough. There's three of them in Essex, two in Sheffield and one in Manchester.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 9:09 am

Programs: AX/Accor/IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Carlson Gold, BA Silver, KM Permanent, JJC (Retd)
When I first moved to LA, my fiancee was just about to move apartments.

In the time honoured US fashion, we went down to Home Depot to pick up some day labourers to help shift her stuff.

About an hour into the job, their self-declared foreman took me to one side and told me to drive down to Taco Bell and bring back a large order for the whole team.

He was somewhat shocked when I told him that although I was moving to LA:
  • I didn't have a car, and
  • I'd never been to Taco Bell

All I knew about Mexican food was from the Billy Connolly sketch in which he says that all Mexican food is the same, the different names indicate that it has been wrapped differently. That didn't go down too well.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by gnarly

All I knew about Mexican food was from the Billy Connolly sketch in which he says that all Mexican food is the same, the different names indicate that it has been wrapped differently. That didn't go down too well.
That just about sums up Taco Bell.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 2:48 am

Programs: AX/Accor/IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Carlson Gold, BA Silver, KM Permanent, JJC (Retd)
And now I've got Das Racist's seminal "Combination Pizza Hut and Taco Bell" going through my head.
Old Jun 18, 2015, 3:19 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Could be worse, I've got "Danger! High Voltage!" as an earworm...
Old Jun 27, 2015, 11:45 am

Fish tacos in London?

Thought of this thread and headed to Hombres Mexican Kitchen in Rayners Lane to sample the fish tacos for FT research purposes. Alas not available tonight
Old Aug 16, 2015, 5:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, PPL/IR
Fish tacos in London?

Mestizo just up Hampstead road from Euston. Always full of spaniards and Mexicans which I take to be a good sign. Mestizomx.com
Old Aug 17, 2015, 1:46 am

Too late for the OP's 26 June visit date, but Crazy Homies in Westbourne Park north of Notting Hill has fish tacos. Nice place.

Went to Cantina Laredo again yesterday and going to have to revise my earlier statement that it was a greasy Tex-Mex mess. Maybe they've upped their game as it was better than before.

Won't be back to Mestizo - that's the one truly awful Mexican meal I've had in London.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.