Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Golf in Ireland - east and north

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2015, 8:06 am
Original Poster

Golf in Ireland - east and north

I am planning a trip through east Ireland and Northern Ireland to play 6 total rounds of golf. So far we are playing Royal County Down twice and Royal Portrush once. What are your top courses in those areas to fill the other three rounds?
Old Jun 5, 2015, 9:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1.8MM, Hertz PC, Marriott Platinum/Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by jas03b
I am planning a trip through east Ireland and Northern Ireland to play 6 total rounds of golf. So far we are playing Royal County Down twice and Royal Portrush once. What are your top courses in those areas to fill the other three rounds?
Depending on your ability to book tee times - if sticking just to the east coast:
Portmarnock, in Dublin
European Club, in Wicklow (south of Dublin)
Mt Juliet, Co Kilkenny
K Club, Straffan, Co Kildare
Druid's Glen, also in Wicklow
Old Jun 5, 2015, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Great, thanks. No others in Northern Ireland?
Old Jun 5, 2015, 10:31 am

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
This question can be answered in many ways. Are you looking high end, trophy courses only? If so, RCD and Portrush are a good start, and I'd add in Portmarnock, Royal Dublin, and European Club. Those latter three will be north of 150 euro each.

Alternatives if you're looking for a cheaper course or a less well-known course that will still give you all you can ask for:
The Valley course at Portrush. One of the best "relief" courses I know of. Not as difficult as the championship links but more than tough enough and in the same excellent condition. Generally no more than 45 pounds.
Near Portrush, both Portstewart and Castlerock. The front nine for the main course at Portstewart (they also have two other courses) is spectacular and not to be missed. The second nine is still good but nowhere near as dramatic. Castlerock ranks fourth, behind Portrush Championship, Portstewart, and Portrush Valley to my mind, but that shouldn't imply that Castlerock is not worth playing.
Near RCD, Ardglass. Spectacular start. If you're not warmed up properly and you're playing strictly by the rules, it could be very easy to be eight or nine over after the first three holes. The course settles down after that but has some bright moments later. An old castle serves as the clubhouse/pro shop and the backdrop for the opening tee shot and the 18th green.
Should Portmarnock somehow not be available, try the Portmarnock Hotel and Golf Links, which is virtually next door. In fact, don't confuse the two. Portmarnock is the high-priced spread while the Hotel and Golf Links is generally available around 45 pounds. Certainly not the test of its neighbor, it's still a good course designed by Bernhard Langer, who showed some understanding of the strategy required by a good links course. A few holes present real challenges, mostly after the seventh hole, when the course heads into the dunes. The last three holes can be very strong medicine.
A wild card. If you decide to go down to The European Club and have the time, go even further south and play at Rosslare. A course not much known by Americans, but one of my favorites in my trips over there. Straight out-and-back design similar to St. Andrews so the wind is either with you or against you. I wouldn't recommend it over The European Club, Portmarnock, or Royal Dublin, but I think it's worth a drive.
I focus on links golf when I go to Ireland (and Scotland) because you don't much find those courses on this side of the Atlantic. To my mind, only the courses at Bandon Dunes, Cabot Links, most of the back nine at the Pacific Grove Municipal Links, and probably Chambers Bay have the proper combination of sandy soil and fescue grass to mimic the feel of a links in this country. If you're interested in inland courses, however, the suggestions made by UAPremExecflyer are all excellent. Of note, the K-Club held the Ryder Cup in 2006.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 12:33 pm

Programs: Amex Plat, AA, BA Silver, Marriott Plat, Choice Gold, HHonors Gold, IHG Diamond
After my last post, I thought of a couple more suggestions. The first is almost directly on the path north from Dublin heading to NI. The County Louth Golf Club is outside of Drogheda, and I might even recommend it above Royal Dublin. I played there in 2010 and 2013 and enjoyed both rounds. Less expensive than Royal Dublin, and I think more of a challenge but without Royal Dublin's history.

The two other suggestions are more like my Rosslare recommendation but located north or in the relatively accessible west. Ballyliffin is not in Northern Ireland but instead in Donegal, a couple of hours from Portrush/Portstewart/Castlerock. Very remote, but 36 holes of really great golf. As the crow flies, the distance is not long, but you'll either take a ferry ride across Lough Foyle, which might be a fun diversion from golf, or drive the long way around, passing near Londonderry.

The County Sligo Golf Club is very much like County Louth, Portstewart, Castlerock, and Rosslare in that it's not as well known to Americans, but it's a fantastic course. Portrush to Sligo is about three hours through some beautiful countryside; Sligo to Dublin is a reasonably easy drive with some sights to see but it's still three hours.

By the way, there are plenty of books on Irish golf, but for the average golf tourist, I think this book,
http://www.amazon.com/Hooked-Amateurs-Guide-Courses-Ireland/dp/1848891067 http://www.amazon.com/Hooked-Amateurs-Guide-Courses-Ireland/dp/1848891067
, might be the most useful. Written by an amateur golfer, I found the course reviews mostly on target with a few minor disagreements that I can totally ascribe to personal taste.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Thank you very much, great information!
Old Jun 5, 2015, 2:18 pm

Two more suggestions but involving the courses already mentioned. If you and your group have never played links golf before and decide to do Portmarnock Hotel and Golf Links, I'd play it first on your trip. It's a reasonably gentle introduction to links golf as the first six or seven holes start out on flatter (but not flat) ground before heading into the dunes. With its 45 euro cost, it's also an inexpensive way to get your introduction. Of course, if you've played a decent amount of links golf, I wouldn't make a special trip for this course unless it fits within my other parameters of cost or Portmarnock unavailability--in which case, I'd still consider County Louth first.

In addition, if your schedule allows, play the Valley at Portrush before playing the Dunluce Links. Same principle really--a good warmup before taking the tougher test next door. As a bonus, you can see some of the Dunluce Links from the Valley, including Dunluce's par 3 14th, one of the scariest holes I've ever played. The advantage: you'll be standing on the valley floor below this hole where an even slightly sliced tee shot may wind up! No wonder they nicknamed the hole, Calamity Corner.

Just keep in mind that the pro shop (more like a starter's hut) for the Valley is located down the street from the pro shop/clubhouse for the Dunluce. But, unlike the Dunluce, it's easy to walk on, and the club associated with this course, the Rathmore (an alternate name for the Valley course, by the way), is worth checking out since it was the home club for Fred Daly, the 1947 British Open winner, and Graeme McDowell, the 2010 US Open winner. That should be further confirmation that the Valley course is no pushover.

And a non-course recommendation. Take as many golf balls as you can pack. Unless you're a scratch player, you're likely to lose a fair number of balls, and the prices can be pretty expensive.

I'm sure after playing some of these courses, you and your group will be ready to plan your return to Ireland because you're only skimming the surface of the great golf you can find there!
Old Jun 5, 2015, 5:01 pm

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by jas03b
Great, thanks. No others in Northern Ireland?
http://www.lougherneresort.com/golf/index.html

A really nice hotel to stay in.

Not sure about how challenging the Faldo course is as I don't play but the Fermanagh Lakelands are a stunning part of Northern Ireland.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.