Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

How far out should I book Orient Express tickets?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2015, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver

Am thinking of getting my folks a trip on the orient express in late summer 2016. How far in advance do I need to book?

Any ideas welcome!

Thanks
Old May 21, 2015, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Arrow

Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
Am thinking of getting my folks a trip on the orient express in late summer 2016. How far in advance do I need to book?

Any ideas welcome!

Thanks
Are you thinking of doing the Northern Belle or the British Pullman? I'm looking at doing this for a friend's 40th birthday having a trip on a Dinner train. I have been advised by someone I met on a train recently to book early (6 months or so ahead) especially for the cheaper journeys and to get insurance for the trip in case you miss the train. Having said that I just looked on their website and there is at least one trip that is already sold out for the end of October.
Old May 26, 2015, 9:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Just a point of detail which scares off a lot of Americans. There are no showers on board and the toilets are shared located at the end of each carraige. Each cabin does have its own wash basin

Its just like the Edinburgh sleeper train just a lot nicer!
Old May 29, 2015, 11:26 am

Any ideas welcome!

Thanks
Hi

When you say the Orient Express do you mean a day trip on the Brighton Belle/British Pullman or the overnight service from London to Venice?

If its a day trip on the British Pullman or Brighton Belle and you have some flexibility with regards to dates and where you go then a couple of months in advance should be ok.

If you are planning on traveling on the Orient Express to Venice and want to do so in July or August then you really should think about booking towards the end of this year, start of next. Its not cheap as I am sure you know. The compartments are very small, two adults would have difficulty changing clothes in the compartment at the same time. The beds are upper and lower berths. Each compartment has its own wash hand basin, but toilets are shared and located in each carriage. There are no showers, but it is only one night.

Its non stop eating. All food is included but drinks are not, and they are not cheap. The first part of the journey from London to Folkestone is operated by the British Pullman. They serve brunch and we thought that it was just ok. The next part of the trip is by coach from Folkestone station via the channel tunnel to Calais. Once at Calais you join the real Orient express train. The service on the train from Calais to Venice is amazing and its lots of fun. You are encouraged to dress formally and most people do. Don't expect to sleep much on the train as it twist and turns a lot and the locomotive is changed frequently. I think every time you cross a border. There is also a constant smell of burning breaks.

If you travel towards the end of the season often there are special offers. They don't tend to discount the train fare but sometimes they offer two free nights accommodation in Venice if you book the train one direction together with a flight in the other direction.

Alex
Old Jun 1, 2015, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Thanks all.

Am looking at London-Paris for my folks' 50th Wedding Anniversary (thereby circumventing the no shower/loo overnight, which I suspect would be an issue!)

It's not until 2016 but I see they are booking that far out already. Some pretty chunky discounts seem to be immediately available for 2015 travel however....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.