Wiki Posts
Search

Immigration and customs at LHR

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2015, 11:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Immigration and customs at LHR

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere but my search couldn't find it.
We are flying from IST to LHR via MUC (TK & LH). I am not sure if arriving from MUC will count as EU arrival as we are only transiting in MUC from IST.
I am trying to estimate the time it will take us to clear customs and immigration (US citizens) in order to estimate the timing of ordered transfer service. I don't know if it will help us traveling in J (Fast Track pass?). We are arriving at 20:25
Any pertinent information would be appreciated - TIA.
Old May 16, 2015, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Immigration is the same for all international arrivals (excluding flights from the Republic of Ireland) at LHR. If you are arriving from MUC in Club Europe as a non-EU passport holder, you can use the Fast Track lane at immigration.
Old May 16, 2015, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
If your journey began in a country outside the European Union (your hold luggage will have a white tag), use the red point if you have goods to declare or the green exit if you don't.
Old May 16, 2015, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Can I help you
If your journey began in a country outside the European Union (your hold luggage will have a white tag), use the red point if you have goods to declare or the green exit if you don't.
Good advice. And to clarify for the OP, my post was about immigration (passport control, before baggage reclaim), and CIHY's post is about customs (after baggage reclaim).
Old May 16, 2015, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Thank you both.
How long is the entire process of clearing immigration & customs in your best guesstimate - knowing that this can vary depending on many factors.
I am looking for a range so that I know what time to order the transfer for (I don't want to pay them too much extra for waiting time).
Old May 16, 2015, 12:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Surely you just tell them what flight you will be arriving on, it's up to them what time they arrive at the airport and you shouldn't be charged waiting time?
Old May 16, 2015, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Surely you just tell them what flight you will be arriving on, it's up to them what time they arrive at the airport and you shouldn't be charged waiting time?
Actually, they are asking me how long after the arrival time I wish to be picked up (they will add 30 more minutes after that time for free - after that they will charge).
I am guessing that 45 minutes (+30) should be enough. Should I allow more time?
Old May 16, 2015, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
Why should the transfer company have to pay for HM Govt incompetence (or HAL's for that matter???)

It might not feel "nice" but I think they're wholly justified in doing this to manage their costs (in exactly the same way as if I get held up on my way to the airport, BA or any other airline will expect me to buy a new ticket).
Old May 16, 2015, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think you will be clear between 30 and 45 minutes after landing.
Old May 16, 2015, 12:48 pm

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, SPG Preferred Business
I have a similar question regarding T5 immigration. I will arrive from EEA at 7:30am but I won't be able to use the automated gates. Any idea how long that would take? If >40min STN would be more time effective for me (and cheaper).
Thanks!
Old May 16, 2015, 12:56 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
Why should the transfer company have to pay for HM Govt incompetence (or HAL's for that matter???)

It might not feel "nice" but I think they're wholly justified in doing this to manage their costs (in exactly the same way as if I get held up on my way to the airport, BA or any other airline will expect me to buy a new ticket).
Because that is the job of a transfer company. Normally you give your flight number and their control room monitors the flight, it could arrive early or late and they tend to know how long immigration takes so that their drivers can meet you without too much waiting.
Old May 16, 2015, 1:02 pm

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
My local firm passes on the parking charge as they have to park in the short stay car park I believe, so I think it's £3 every 30 mins
Old May 16, 2015, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

I think you will be clear between 30 and 45 minutes after landing.
Thank you. That's what I am hoping for
Old May 16, 2015, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by chistery
My local firm passes on the parking charge as they have to park in the short stay car park I believe, so I think it's £3 every 30 mins
Most of our local airports (in San Francisco Bay area) have an area for cell phone parking, which is free.
That is where my family (or the limo service) waits and once I have my luggage, I call them. They are there 5 minutes later.
That seems to work very well as it prevents curb side congestion and endless circling. Is this an option at LHR?
Old May 16, 2015, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There are no official places for them to wait for free but there many places that drivers know where they can do so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.