Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Urgent Id issue for domestic flight.

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2015, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Hi my parents have been on a coach holiday on the Isle of Skye however due to the weather all ferries are canceled.

I'm not 100% on the details but due to no ferries they need to go on a long (18 hour) coach ride to get back to main land then to Glasgow then a train from Glasgow home.

Due to my dads back issues he couldn't sit this long so they booked tickets on a flight from barrow?? To Glasgow this afternoon.

My mum has just realised she doesn't have any photo ID on her so I have emailed a pic of her passport and work security (which is a print out with a pic that she uses). She isn't sure these will be enough. She is flying with fly be.

The flight is at 10.30am and by that time if she can't get on the flight the coach will have gone leaving her stranded.

I could take her actual passport to my local airport before the flight to the fly be desk.

Does anyone know what will happen??

Thanks.
Old May 11, 2015, 3:01 pm

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.

It sounds like your mum is flying from the Isle of BARRA - not Barrow (which is in Cumbria). Does she not have any of the following forms of ID?

http://www.flybe.com/checkin/id-requirements.htm

She will definitely need original ID. A photocopy of a passport isn't satisfactory ID for hopefully obvious reasons. Check if she has any of the other forms of ID on Flybe's list.

Last edited by paul4040; May 11, 2015 at 3:30 pm
Old May 11, 2015, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick response.

No she has nothing on her.
Old May 11, 2015, 3:10 pm

Programs: UA Platinum

FedEx her ID to her?

Or overnight it?
Old May 11, 2015, 3:21 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Sorry for your trouble, Manda_jade1982

but as this is not really a topic for Budget Travel forum, I'm moving the thread to UK forum, where folks will probably be more knowledgeable about what to do about lack of ID.

Though I see that popoemt came with an excellent idea even before the move ^

~moderator
Old May 11, 2015, 3:26 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Contact flybe. There is no government mandated requirement for ID for domestic travel - but it is used by the LCCs for revenue protection purposes, meaning they have a little more leeway.

Not sure how well Barra is covered for overnight delivery services, mind.
Old May 11, 2015, 3:34 pm

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.

Forget delivering ID. Barra is very remote and there's no chance of getting ID there in under ten hours.

You should contact Flybe.
Old May 11, 2015, 3:45 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Originally Posted by paul4040
You should contact Flybe.
Hm, wonder if they would be agreeable to OP coming to office or airport with mom's ID at her location @:-)
Old May 12, 2015, 12:52 am

I hope they took that coach (slow as it is). If the ferries are off due to the wind, they have no way of reaching Barra. Given the plane lands / takes off on the beach at Barra, I'm not convinced it'll be comfortable for someone with back trouble.
Old May 12, 2015, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by Manda_jade1982
I'm not 100% on the details but due to no ferries they need to go on a long (18 hour) coach ride to get back to main land then to Glasgow then a train from Glasgow home.
Has the Skye Bridge closed?

Skye to Glasgow is 6 hours by coach, not 18, they could go to Inverness in half that time and either fly or take the sleeper train south.

As for Fed-Ex - if they can't get off the island due to weather, how is a delivery company going to get to the island?
Old May 14, 2015, 9:39 am

Programs: BA Silver
18 hours from Skye to Glasgow??? Are they going via Birmingham???

And if there are no ferries, how are they going to get to Barra???

Originally Posted by Manda_jade1982
Hi my parents have been on a coach holiday on the Isle of Skye however due to the weather all ferries are canceled.

Due to my dads back issues he couldn't sit this long so they booked tickets on a flight from barrow?? To Glasgow this afternoon.

My mum has just realised she doesn't have any photo ID on her so I have emailed a pic of her passport and work security (which is a print out with a pic that she uses). She isn't sure these will be enough. She is flying with fly be.

The flight is at 10.30am and by that time if she can't get on the flight the coach will have gone leaving her stranded.

I could take her actual passport to my local airport before the flight to the fly be desk.

Does anyone know what will happen??

Thanks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.