Eventually inspected by UK Customs Agents: my first time in 5+ years

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2015, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR; TK Elite; ITA Executive; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Lightbulb Eventually inspected by UK Customs Agents: my first time in 5+ years

Hi all,

last Saturday after landing at T4 from DOH on QR3, for the very first time in 5 years my checked luggage got inspected by a UK Customs Agent and I was asked some general questions about my trip.
I was asked to follow the agent in one of the rooms after exiting the carousel area through the "Nothing to Declare" corridor.

So far I have never been inspected at T5 or T3.

Have I been extremely lucky in the last 5 years? Inspection took good 20 minutes. What's other frequent flyers inspections rate? (by frequent flyer I refer to at least 8 sectors per month).

ps: the inspection was fine, thanks goodness I was not coming back from DME or DXB (cigarettes are very very cheap there)
Old May 4, 2015, 2:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Did you get busted for anything?
Old May 4, 2015, 2:30 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
I had a couple of questions and had to show my passport at St. Pancras when arriving from Brussels, and was asked where I'd flow in from when I landed at LGW from LAS but I have never had anything more than that.
Old May 4, 2015, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Did you get busted for anything?
The OP's last sentence would suggest not.
Old May 4, 2015, 2:31 pm

Programs: BA GGL (for now) and Lifetime Gold, Marriott fan thanks to Bonvoy Moments
Originally Posted by 81romeo
Have I been extremely lucky in the last 5 years? Inspection took good 20 minutes. What's other frequent flyers inspections rate? (by frequent flyer I refer to at least 8 sectors per month).

ps: the inspection was fine, thanks goodness I was not coming back from DME or DXB (cigarettes are very very cheap there)
I had my first inspection in January after 12 years flying ex-LON. Think I've had one inspection abroad (not including the 30 seconds sniffer dog approach in Australia)
Old May 4, 2015, 2:36 pm

I've never had a customs inspection anywhere in 20 odd years. I'd count yourself quite unlucky getting one in 5 years.
Old May 4, 2015, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
It's 20 years since I was stopped, coming back from AMS into LCY on a Sunday.

I had nothing on me to cause a problem but one line stuck with me. After the bag search had been completed, I said to the officer "so, was this just a random search". His response was "we don't do random searches, sir..."

Ouch!
Old May 4, 2015, 2:43 pm

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.

Been approached by PSNI before at BHD but not for a customs matter. It was during a time of increased security in the North and several other solo male passengers also got a random hook.

Was once taken aside at JER as well, for a customs matter.

Both times I was flying from London.
Old May 4, 2015, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR; TK Elite; ITA Executive; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Swiss Tony
It's 20 years since I was stopped, coming back from AMS into LCY on a Sunday.

I had nothing on me to cause a problem but one line stuck with me. After the bag search had been completed, I said to the officer "so, was this just a random search". His response was "we don't do random searches, sir..."

Ouch!
Well...it would be interesting to understand based on what they stop. Personally last Sat morning I was not wearing suit & shirt, just denim and a Polo...was unshaved...

I would have thought a masterpiece of luggage like a Rimowa Topas () + QR Business class tags would not attract them, apparently I was wrong...
Old May 4, 2015, 2:54 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
This topic was originally posted on the BA section but as it does not really have anything to do with BA, it has been moved to the UK section where the topic fits better.

LTN Phobia
Moderator: BA forum
Old May 4, 2015, 2:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

We've been forced to open our bags twice during our infrequent travels.

Once at EZE and the other by US customs. The items found and confiscated were a bag of dandelion bulbs and a tomato. Although we weren't charged, ever since we've had to live with the shame of being identified as flower and vegetable couriers.
Old May 4, 2015, 3:04 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
In the past 10 years, I've been inspected once at LGW, and have seen people being inspected twice at LHR, which I managed to avoid by walking very closely behind people who I thought would be more likely to get pulled by the agents.

In the 10 years before that we were always inspected (sometimes very cursorily) on arrival in Australia.
Old May 4, 2015, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My sole customs inspection entering the UK was at Dover in 1998 after an enjoyable evening stocking up at Calais. Never, ever been stopped or even spoken to arriving by air.

Various other countries have carried out sundry inspections, the ever paranoid cousins across the pond have enjoyed pulling my bags apart more than once. Entering Moldova a few years ago they were very keen on ensuring I didn't have any guns!
Old May 5, 2015, 3:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
About every other year entering the US, but never entering anywhere else in the world.
Old May 5, 2015, 3:54 am

Once - arriving by car ferry into Felixstowe. Felixstowe hasn't had car ferries in over 20 years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.