Wiki Posts
Search

Allowing time to board Eurostar at St. Pancras

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2015, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA
Allowing time to board Eurostar at St. Pancras

I believe additional checks were recently put in place when departing St. Pancras, so I'm looking for recent experience to decide how much time to allow for getting on the train...

In July, I'm booked on a 15.31 departure to Paris. We'll be travelling Bristol Temple Meads - Paddington - St. Pancras earlier in the day.

I don't mind hanging around in St. Pancras station public area, but from memory the area inside security looks bleak.

John42
Old Apr 21, 2015, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Assuming you have an ordinary ticket no later than 30 minutes before departure. If in business premier it's 10 minutes.

They are good in not allowing people through security a long way in advance of their scheduled departure though.

I'm not sure what additional checks have been put in place but they are not as onerous as airport security.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 1:39 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
There are no extra checks at St Pancras due to the recent changes in border regulations - although I believe Eurostar shares additional passenger info with the authorities before departure.

It's Eurotunnel, the vehicle service from Folkestone, that's has to make significant changes.

30 minutes is still fine. More than an hour and may not be let through.
Old Apr 21, 2015, 6:20 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
In theory, checkin closes 30 minutes before departure for everyone except Carte Blanche holders and Business Premier ticket holders. In practice, you can normally get away up to about 25 minutes unless it's super busy, and perhaps as low as 20 minutes at quiet times, but I wouldn't recommend that for non-regulars. The 10 minutes Business Premier cut-off will often involve you having to jog your way from passport control to the train to board in time!

Checkin opens about an hour before. I think they work on something like 1 hour 15 minutes or when the previous train departs, whichever is lower. The area after checkin isn't that large, so they don't want you going through too early as there isn't space!

For a non-regular traveller, I'd suggest trying to get into Paddington for about 90-100 minutes before your Eurostar leaves. If everything goes well, you'll get to St Pancras around when checkin opens, and can pick up a few bits before security if you want to. If your train is late for some reason, you can cope with close to an hour's delay with the help of a taxi, so you ought to be fine no matter what FGW mess up!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.