Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Can a EU citizen enter the UK with a driver's license?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2015, 11:11 am
Original Poster

I just flew back from the US to The Netherlands and must have left my passport on the plane. I submitted a United Airlines Lost Item Report but have no idea when I will hear back from them. I am flying to London Monday morning and was wondering whether I would be able to get through customs here in the Netherlands and in London City with any other form of personal identification (for instance a driver's license). I do have a scanned copy of my passport that I could also take. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Stephan
Old Apr 18, 2015, 12:20 pm
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
As you know, the UK Border Force - part of the Home Office - generally requires a passport to establish identity and nationality, but its official policy does allow "other documentation" to be used, without specifying what. A driving licence or National Identity card might suffice, but - given the increased checks currently employed on both incoming and outgoing immigration - I would think the very best you could hope for would be an extended interview.

Given the real risk of refusal, you may even find your airline refuses to carry you in the first place for fear of being fined if you are returned to the Netherlands.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 12:35 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
There is also the chance the airline will refuse to board you without proper documentation.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
I think you stand no chance of getting on the plane without a passport.

From my experience of leaving something on a United plane at Heathrow, you need to *NOT* deal with the American side of the operation. Do not wait for the email to be answered, ring whichever NL airport it was and find the person in United that knows who it gets passed to before it gets sent to the US. The US side of the operation were worthless when I called them and did not want to get involved in any shape, form, or manner. I had to ring about 4 numbers in Heathrow (speaking to locals who knew how Heathrow worked) and found the person. I picked it up from the ticket desk on my next flight out.

Be persistent, it paid off for me.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 12:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TP Silver
Your driving license won't show your nationality, so how are you going to convince the border force that you are an EU national?
Old Apr 18, 2015, 2:05 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: LeClubAccorhotels Platinum, M&M FTL
The driving licenses in Europe show the driver's nationality quite clearly, they also have lots of EU stuff and logos on them.

You can enter the UK with your national ID if you are a EU citizen. I never bother to take the passport to the UK. The driver's license is not an ID for this purpose though.

PS. Your lost items, unless they went unnoticed, were picked by either the cabin crew or the cleaners, and will be waiting at the lost&found of the ground handling company at your airport of arrival (Schiphol, if your flight was direct).
Old Apr 18, 2015, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by JTCz
The driving licenses in Europe show the driver's nationality quite clearly, they also have lots of EU stuff and logos on them.
No they don't. I've had licenses from three different eu countries and none of them displayed my nationality.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 2:19 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: LeClubAccorhotels Platinum, M&M FTL
Originally Posted by duvin
No they don't. I've had licenses from three different eu countries and none of them displayed my nationality.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_driving_licence

There is a big issuing country ID in the upper left hand corner. Depending on the country's iurisdiction, you may be required to be a citizen or have a permanent living permit to get one.

PS. My country puts the holder's permanent address and the national ID number you get at birth. To have both, you need to be a citizen or equal. I am not sure what happens if you are not a citizen and try to get one - the national ID number would certainly be a problem.

PS2. I just discovered you can now get the said number if you need it for some reason, e.g. pay social security here. So yes, technically you can now hold a driver's license not being a national.

Last edited by JTCz; Apr 18, 2015 at 2:29 pm
Old Apr 18, 2015, 3:36 pm

So you agree, that the UK's Border Force won't be able to determine a passenger's nationality based on a driving license alone.

Just think of the amount of immigrants and refugees we have all around Europe. Most of them have to get a driving license from the country they live in. The issuing country of a driving license doesn't have anything to do with nationality.

Some of my students are (mainland) Chinese, and have driven a EU license while studying in Europe. They are still required to apply for a visa for entry to the UK though.
Old Apr 18, 2015, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all of this feedback. And incidentally, I am a Belgian citizen living in The Netherlands. I have a Dutch driver's license, which mentions the (Belgian) city where I was born. It does not, indeed, mention my nationality.

The UK regulation says they have to admit EU/EEA citizens who can produce either a passport or a national identity card. See also here. I unfortunately do not have a national identity card. I have been living abroad for a long time, and remember trying to get one some 10 years ago, only to be told that Belgians living abroad could not receive one. I do see that this has now changed and that we can get an e-id. I'll start that process, but it apparently takes 4-6 weeks.

It is also true that the UK regulations do seem to leave a BIT of wiggle room
Before an immigration officer refuses admission to the United Kingdom to a person under this regulation because the person does not produce on arrival a document mentioned in paragraph (1) or (2), the immigration officer must give the person every reasonable opportunity to obtain the document or have it brought to him within a reasonable period of time or to prove by other means that he is—

(a)an EEA national;

(b)a family member of an EEA national with a right to accompany that national or join him in the United Kingdom; or

(c)a family member who has retained the right of residence or a person with a permanent right of residence under regulation
But so unless somebody knows exactly what to do (what is a reasonable period of time? what are these 'other means'?), I think I'd rather not risk it.

So I guess my only hope to get on that that flight Monday morning is to get my passport back. I've started the United 'Lost and Found' process and I'll also follow all of your suggestions. I also filed a form at Schiphol, but I found out that when a passport is found it does not go into the 'lost and found' register, but goes directly to the Royal Marechaussee. And they're not answering their phones now - I'll try them again tomorrow. I will also start searching on this forum what the exact protocol is for items that are left on a plane. And if I don't find that, I might open a new thread on that [UPDATE: I asked the question here]. But thanks to all contributors here!

Last edited by sdspieg; Apr 18, 2015 at 4:39 pm
Old Apr 18, 2015, 11:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
As this is a UK specific item and we have some rather prolific UK posters, we'll relocate this thread in that forum for increased exposure. Best of luck to the OP^
Old Apr 19, 2015, 12:32 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Without proper documentation you won't even be allowed to board the plane. Any chance of going to the Belgian embassy/consulate to get an emergency document?
Old Apr 19, 2015, 2:24 am

OP, how did you get back into the Netherlands if you left your passport on the aircraft?
Old Apr 19, 2015, 3:32 am
Original Poster

Aviatrix - I have Privium. And if I was flying from Schiphol, that would at least get me to London. But I'm (hopefully) flying out of Rotterdam airport tomorrow.
Old Apr 19, 2015, 3:38 am

Programs: MUCCI
Originally Posted by sdspieg
I am flying to London Monday morning and was wondering whether I would be able to get through customs here in the Netherlands and in London City with any other form of personal identification (for instance a driver's license).

Pedant mode: Your problem would be immigration in the UK, not customs.

Additionally, your airline will need to see ID that is acceptable to them for travel, and also ID that will convince them you have right of entry.

Drivers licence will not do. You will need a passport or an EU issued national ID card.

Presume you best course of action will be emergency replacement passport. And if you are sorting things out, try to get the ID card - it is a great backup for this scenario.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.