Wiki Posts
Search

UK Trip - Queries/Concerns

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2015, 5:46 am
Original Poster

Hi there,

This might be the wrong forum to post these queries on. If it is, I apologise. (feel free to move/remove this post if this is the case)

Anyway, my online friend whom I've known for the last two years from the US is intending to visit me here in the UK for 4 weeks. It will be her first visit to the UK, so she's pretty excited and a little anxious about it. We intend to visit a few local tourist attractions in the area, including the town I live in. (which is also a tourist attraction in itself) We're slightly worried though about her passing through the UK Border Control. She currently has no job, although she is married to someone in the US military. She also plans to have an upcoming surgery procedure shortly after she returns back to the US. She does have funding for the trip, although I am willing to provide any extra funding if needed. I should also note that she has a clean travel/immigration history.

Our questions/worries are as follows;

1) As she is intending to stay for 4 weeks for a vacation rather than the average 1-2 weeks that people typically stay for, we're worried that immigration might refuse her entry, especially since she has no job to return to back in the States other than being a housewife. Will the fact she has a husband and an upcoming surgery procedure booked help to prove that she will return to the States at all? Should she bring documentation/evidence of both of these facts?

2) She's certain that she has enough funding for a 4 week stay, and I can definitely back her up with some funding of my own if she doesn't. (along with bringing bank statements to the airport if necessary) We're just curious though, how much funding approximately will immigration expect her to have for a 4 week stay?

3) Although we intend to visit a few local tourist areas, we have no hotels booked or the like, quite simply because we do not require any. (Although we might consider visiting London, which will require a hotel booking) Will this be an issue? Should I also consider providing evidence to show that I am the legal owner of my current property? (which is where she'll be staying)

4) Lastly, is a 4 week stay too lengthy as a whole? Do many people typically go on 4 week vacations? (Silly question I know, but I honestly don't know if it's common or not) Considering how expensive the flight is, we wanted to make the most of that cost by having her stay for 4 weeks rather than a 1-2 week vacation.

Sorry for all the silly questions! We're probably worrying over nothing really. Thanks in advance though to anyone who is able to help relieve our worries. Again I apologise if this board/forum is the wrong place to ask these sort of questions.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Rather than telling to immigration official she is unemployed, I would suggest 'homemaker' or 'housewife' married to a serving military officer is less likely to cause a raised eye brow. It's also an honest answer.

Can she get an appointment letter for her surgery from her Dr?
Old Apr 9, 2015, 6:42 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Welcome to FT Kohryu!

In a word, you are worrying far too much. I doubt your friend will have any problems at all. I am assuming that your friend is travelling on a US passport, so when she gets to the UK border at Heathrow she'll be asked why she's here and what she intends to do and when her return flight is. You don't explicitly say it, but I'll assume that the return flight is already booked and she has evidence of that. In all likelihood, that'll be the end of it and she'll be allowed to pass.

She may be asked where she is staying, and/or what she does for a living, the answers to which are "with my friend Jane at her house in Lower Dunthorpe" and "I'm a housewife in Peoria, Illinois". It is unlikely that she'll be asked for evidence of her ability to support herself financially, and you won't need to do anything about that. The whole business about her husband's surgery is extraneous as well. There will be no questions about what her specific sightseeing itinerary is, nor will anybody pry which hotels have or have not been booked.

As far as four week vacations go, I think you may underestimate the number of US and Canadian tourists that come to Europe for a month or so to go backpacking/Eurailing/visiting relatives, etc. To put it into perspective, we have a holiday home in the US and regularly spend 3-4 week stretches here (greetings from sunny SW Florida)! There's a reason the entry stamp at the US border is for three months.

Don't worry and enjoy your friend's visit.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card

Agree with other responses - she will have no problem. "Homemaker" listed as occupation is quite common, 4 week stays won't raise any eyebrows, and if it comes down to it, it sounds like she will be able to easily show return travel documents.

Most of the time that I enter the UK, the conversation amounts to 10 seconds of small talk ("Been here before? Any sights you're hoping to visit?"), a cursory glance at my documents, and the KACHUNK of the immigration stamp.

Additionally, this is one of those cases where the truth is all on the up and up, and that will be easily apparent should anyone question her.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Welcome to FT Kohryu!

As far as four week vacations go, I think you may underestimate the number of US and Canadian tourists that come to Europe for a month or so to go backpacking/Eurailing/visiting relatives, etc. To put it into perspective, we have a holiday home in the US and regularly spend 3-4 week stretches here (greetings from sunny SW Florida)! There's a reason the entry stamp at the US border is for three months.

Don't worry and enjoy your friend's visit.
+1 - If/when I go to Australia it will be for 4 weeks - not messing around with 2 or 3 weeks.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 11:07 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Welcome to Flyertalk Kohryu. Please continue to follow this thread in the UK Forum.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Apr 9, 2015, 11:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Make sure she has your phone number and contact details on her so if immigration do want to verify her story they can contact you quickly.

If they do call you then answer their questions honestly and give short answers.

Don't try and make up some over complicated story as to why she is visiting you

But this is unlikely ever to be an issue.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 12:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
Make sure she has your phone number and contact details on her so if immigration do want to verify her story they can contact you quickly.

If they do call you then answer their questions honestly and give short answers.

+1
Old Apr 10, 2015, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear

To the OP: she'll have to have your address with her too because she'll need to fill that in on the landing card.
Old Apr 13, 2015, 6:24 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Kohryu
Anyway, my online friend whom I've known for the last two years from the US is intending to visit me here in the UK for 4 weeks.
My only concern for you is if you only "know" this woman online and thus have never met, spending 4 weeks together seems daunting and a bit of a risk. Be careful.
Old Apr 14, 2015, 9:28 am
Original Poster

Hi all,

Sorry for the delayed response, the last few days have been hectic.

Thanks all for your feedback and information, and for the welcome! We definitely feel a little less worried now. I have to admit, I do have a habit of over worrying sometimes. Also, I honestly didn't realise how common 4 week vacations were. I thought UK Border Control might see it as too lengthy for a first visit. I guess it was silly of me to worry considering I've spent a month in the US myself before and had no issues with passing through US passport control.

Oh, and to answer LondonElite's point - Yes she does have her flight booked along with her return ticket. I guess I forgot to mention that part.

Thanks all for easing our minds a bit, it's much appreciated!
Old Apr 15, 2015, 2:05 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by gooselee
Agree with other responses - she will have no problem. "Homemaker" listed as occupation is quite common, 4 week stays won't raise any eyebrows, and if it comes down to it, it sounds like she will be able to easily show return travel documents.
This. Shouldn't be a problem at all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.