Search

wanting to visit Windsor-need advise re: transportation from LHR

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2015, 1:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA, Lufthansa, Virgin, Southwest, Marriot, Accorhotels, Hilton
wanting to visit Windsor-need advise re: transportation from LHR

Hi everyone
I am re-posting this as i may have posted it on the wrong thread...
I will be spending half day in London and staying in hotel at T5 at LHR. I would like to visit Windsor castle or neighborhood. What is the easiest way to get there? I do not mind taxi. How do I arrange for one? DO i ask concierge? How much on average trip from LHR to Windsor would cost? How about getting back? How do I get taxi/transportation? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 2:32 pm

I did this several years ago. My recollection is that I took the bus to Slough (Bus 81?) and then took the short train from Slough to Windsor. That said, I did it from a Bath Rd. hotel, so there seems to be a different bus to Slough from LHR. The bus trip to Slough seemed slow... certainly unremarkable, but the train to Windsor was nice and quick (5-10min?). I want to say it was less than 5 GBP one way.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Have a look here:
http://www.windsor.gov.uk/visitor-in...irport-layover
http://www.firstgroup.com/ukbus/berk...=1&redirect=no
http://www.firstgroup.com/ukbus/berk...=1&redirect=no
Old Mar 15, 2015, 3:17 pm

Get someone from WindsorCars or 5Star, both in Windsor to pick you up.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 3:24 pm

Programs: MUCCI
Perfectly do-able by public transport from T5 (or the central area).

However, for better advice, can I ask what hotel you are staying in?

Unless it is the Sofitel, most hotels marketed 'for T5' are actually a distance away from the airport. This may impact the advice for travel depending upon where you actually are.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 6:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by David-A
Perfectly do-able by public transport from T5 (or the central area).

However, for better advice, can I ask what hotel you are staying in?

Unless it is the Sofitel, most hotels marketed 'for T5' are actually a distance away from the airport. This may impact the advice for travel depending upon where you actually are.
I am staying in Sofitel. I will be in UK mid morning, will want to settle, take a shower and go to Windsor. I can do taxi or whatever. Do taxis take credit cards?
Old Mar 15, 2015, 7:46 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by lavender1365
I am staying in Sofitel. I will be in UK mid morning, will want to settle, take a shower and go to Windsor. I can do taxi or whatever. Do taxis take credit cards?
I used to stay in Eton (across the river from Windsor) on my trips to the UK. I had the BA arrivals lounge call me a minicab from Windsor/Eton to pick me up. You could have the Sofitel do the same. At that time, they did not take credit cards.
Old Mar 15, 2015, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

There is a bus - the 77 - that runs every 30mins, costs £4.80 and takes about 40mins. It goes from the station in T5 so very easy.

However a cab is generally £15-18. Windsor 5 star have been very good with about a 20min lead time from call to arrival. Coming back either ask the driver to book a time/place for you or there is a cab rank opposite the Castle and Central railway station. Or get the bus which stops centrally.

Let me know if you want any exceedingly details instructions!

Do check out (and ideally reserve) lunch at the Two Brewers. And precook your castle ticket as the queue can long.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 5:10 am

Programs: BA Bronze,Accor.Flightdiary.net/liamvad
Yes the bus 77 from terminal 5,taxi will be about £20:00,a local firm is Sovereign,01753-577577,Windsor can get busy even out of season,the pubs are always busy,The Castle pub on the hill is good,it is a Weatherspoons pub,the beer is good,and so is the food.I live next door,in Slough....also visit Eton,cross over the river via the bridge,is worth a visit and see the posh school,most of our prime ministers came from there,the class system is still very much alive here I am afraid.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Many thanks for such wonderful tips! I have not decided yet, but taxi looks good as it will take me less time and allow for more time at Windsor. You are all terrific resource!
Old Mar 16, 2015, 8:07 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by liamvad
it is a Weatherspoons pub,the beer is good, and so is the food.
Really??? Is that not a bit of a non-sequitur?
Old Mar 16, 2015, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Scots_Al
Really??? Is that not a bit of a non-sequitur?
^

Sending a visitor to a 'spoons seems an excellent way of ensuring they never come back. Good beer admittedly but the food is horrid and the clients a cultural experience.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by Swanhunter
^

Sending a visitor to a 'spoons seems an excellent way of ensuring they never come back. Good beer admittedly but the food is horrid and the clients a cultural experience.
Not in this pub,the beer and food are excellent,not all pubs are the same.....I often go to Windsor myself,and use this pub,don't knock it until you have tried it.There are other pubs in Windsor,but no good ones,they are all tourist traps which serve horrible beer,and bland food at extortionate prices.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by liamvad
Not in this pub,the beer and food are excellent,not all pubs are the same.....I often go to Windsor myself,and use this pub,don't knock it until you have tried it.There are other pubs in Windsor,but no good ones,they are all tourist traps which serve horrible beer,and bland food at extortionate prices.
My girlfriend lives about 300 yards away so I know it. Tried it once, not keen at all.

3 really good recommendations

* Two Brewers - good beer, excellent roasts and fish
* Windsor Castle - good sandwiches, cracking beer
* Duke of Connaught - remarkably decent Thai. well kept beer

I wojld agree there are some bad ones, the little cluster behind the Guildhall are uniformly horrible. But to suggest a chain pub is the best Windsor can do is harsh.

Last edited by Swanhunter; Mar 17, 2015 at 12:25 am
Old Mar 17, 2015, 2:49 am

The Royal Oak used to be good,now expensive flat beer,food awful,smelly toilets,one to avoid.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.