getting the Metro [tram] at EDI into city centre

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2015, 3:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue

Has anyone travelled into Edinburgh town centre from the Airport using the Metro service? If so, how easy, reliant, frequent and convenient is it to get into town and also back to the airport from the city centre?

The prices seem really good - far, far cheaper than an airport taxi which is what I usually take.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 3:42 am

I used it, seems really good. Make sure you have a ticket before you board though. The few times I used it, they were being patrolled by quite butch and scary women
Old Mar 2, 2015, 3:47 am

Programs: BD (in memoriam), BA
Do you mean the tram? It is very easy - the station at the airport is a couple of minutes walk under cover from the terminal. They are every 10 minutes for most of the day. How convenient it is in the city centre depends on where exactly you are going.

This thread has more discussion about it.

Every 10 mins, from 0615 to 2245

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
O/T - getting the Metro at EDI into city centre

Do you mean the tram? Edinburgh doesn't have a metro system.

It's expensive.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 3:52 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, Flying Blue, Miles & More, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club
The Airlink bus is apparently faster and if you sit on the top deck you have a great view of the castle and the Pentlands beyond the Murrayfield temple of dreams shame
Old Mar 2, 2015, 3:54 am

Programs: BAEC , M&M , VIRGIN FC , FLYING BLUE
I have used the tram a few times---last time there was no ticket inspections at all there or back
everytime I have used it it has been fairly busy

compared to the 100 bus I find the tram quite slow

the tram is just slightly more expensive than the bus
Old Mar 2, 2015, 4:06 am

Programs: BA Bronze,Accor.Flightdiary.net/liamvad
100 Bus

I go to Edinburgh a lot,the 100 bus is a lot faster,and it goes a direct route,the tram goes off the beaten track,and is a boring ride,unless you like trams.The bus drops you off outside Waverley station,the tram does not.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 4:10 am

Programs: BAEC
From personal experience, plus reading what others have said on here:

Don't get the tram. It's a waste of money, and offers nothing that the bus doesn't (unless you really love trams).
Old Mar 2, 2015, 4:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
Apologies everyone, yes, I was referring to the tram. I need to get to York Place in Edinburgh so I looked at the tram map and the airport is the first stop and York Place is the last stop.

I'll look into the 100 Bus too - is there space for luggage in board that bus and how close will is get to York Place? Is the the same as the Airlink bus mentioned by aflan85?
Old Mar 2, 2015, 4:26 am

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by rumbataz
Apologies everyone, yes, I was referring to the tram. I need to get to York Place in Edinburgh so I looked at the tram map and the airport is the first stop and York Place is the last stop.

I'll look into the 100 Bus too - is there space for luggage in board that bus and how close will is get to York Place? Is the the same as the Airlink bus mentioned by aflan85?
The Airlink is the 100 bus. It's faster and a bit cheaper too and luggage space is adequate. Plus the views are nicer from the front of the top deck.

It terminates at Waverley Bridge so not at York Place.

If you need to be at York Place I would take the tram and save a walk. The tram has huge luggage racks.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 4:26 am

Programs: BA Executive Club, Flying Blue, Miles & More, Virgin Atlantic Flying Club
Yep it's the same thing, the full name is the Airlink 100. The bus terminates at Waverley Bridge, from where York Place is a five minute stroll across Princes Street and through St Andrew Square.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 4:30 am

Programs: BAEC , M&M , VIRGIN FC , FLYING BLUE
both tram and bus have ample luggage storage

although I would normally suggest the bus over the tram if it is York place you want to reach then I would opt for the tram
Old Mar 2, 2015, 4:31 am

Programs: Miles&More IHG
So they finally finished it.. after a zillion years.. that tram.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 4:52 am
Original Poster

Brilliant, many thanks everyone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.