Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Liverpool St. to Harwich ?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2015, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Liverpool St. to Harwich ?

I am looking at Off peak tickets from Liverpool St. to Harwich, & return.
My concern is the connection time at Manningtree being only 5min.
We will have several pcs. of luggage & am concerned we may not have enough time to make the connecting train.
I guess the question is, on an off peak ticket, should we miss the connecting train to Harwich can we take the next one?

Thank you in advance.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 11:30 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Yes, you can take any train you want on the branch line.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stut
Yes, you can take any train you want on the branch line.

Thank you.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 3:41 pm

You can book either a five minute connection or a 35 minute connection. With baggage I'd go for the 35 minute connection.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 12:22 am

If you decide on the 35 minute connection, there is a cafe at Manningtree station, the door is right beside the platform that the Harwich train uses.
Lifts are going to be installed at Manningtree, but it'll probably be 2016 before that's actually completed.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 1:36 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
I haven't done that journey for a few years, but they used to hold the Harwich train for a minute if they could see people hurrying towards it from the subway. If you're sat near the front of the train from London, you should be fine as long as you're moderately quick on stairs with all your luggage. If you're at the back and have lots of bags, you might struggle.

There's a map of Manningree station on the National Rail site to give you an idea in case it helps
Old Mar 2, 2015, 7:27 am

Originally Posted by Gagravarr
I haven't done that journey for a few years, but they used to hold the Harwich train for a minute if they could see people hurrying towards it from the subway.
They still do - but only for a maximum of (I think) five minutes. They can't hold it any longer because of the knock-on effect this would have (there is just the one train which shuttles back and forth)

If you're sat near the front of the train from London, you should be fine as long as you're moderately quick on stairs with all your luggage. If you're at the back and have lots of bags, you might struggle.
Coach C is the one nearest the stairs. B or D should also work (there is no A)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.