Wiki Posts
Search

EZY9004 LTN to LGW ??

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2015, 4:30 am
mee
Original Poster

Question EZY9004 LTN to LGW ??

I flew out of LTN earlier this week, and was amazed to see a flight on the departure board, as follows:

07:00 EZY9004 to London Gatwick

I gather that this is a positioning flight - which I fully understand. What I don't get is why it shows on the board? I can't imagine EZY selling a LTN-LGW route, nor can I imagine anyone choosing to fly it!

Any ideas?

-- Mike
Old Feb 13, 2015, 4:36 am

Probably just a mistake by the person in charge of the departures board. The flight will be in the computer as it does exist, but they forgot to edit it out of what appears on the board.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
It's probably the easiest way of getting from LTN to LGW.
Old Feb 13, 2015, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
It's probably the easiest way of getting from LTN to LGW.
Would have thought the shuttle bus to Luton Airport Parkway then direct train to Gatwick (total 1h45m) rather than the joys of airlines & airports these days
Old Feb 13, 2015, 2:25 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Probably so, even with the scenic tour of South London you get at the moment...
Old Feb 13, 2015, 6:37 pm

Even though it's a mistake, it does kind of illustrate how mistaken the blissfully ignorant foreigner would be who assumes a LGW to LTN transfer is like switching from say O'Hare to Midway or JFK to LGA. The two airports are 50 miles/80 km apart as the crow flies (over 70 miles by road) yet both supposedly are "London" airports - which is actually further apart than even LAX and SNA.
Old Feb 16, 2015, 3:32 am
mee
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ber2dca
yet both supposedly are "London" airports
Amazing how the boundaries of London have grown - from "London Oxford Airport" in the west to "London Southend Airport" in the east!

-- Mike
Old Feb 16, 2015, 3:33 am
mee
Original Poster

Originally Posted by alanR
Would have thought the shuttle bus to Luton Airport Parkway then direct train to Gatwick (total 1h45m) rather than the joys of airlines & airports these days
Tricky one -- its usually not quite a direct train, but needs a change (same platform) at St Pancras
Old Feb 16, 2015, 9:33 am
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Turns out there were at least 15 EZY9004 flights yesterday and lots of them have some exotic destinations. The last one was Tenerife Sur to Naples.

I wonder if they are ad hoc and if not why would then not sell the route? I am sure a couple of people would fancy Tenerife Sur to Naples. And why can they not sell them as mystery tours? I am also sure a handful of backpackers in Tenerife would pay 30€ to not know where they are going.

Admittedly, would suck a bit if you got your sun tan lotion all ready and flew from Luton to Gatwick.

Originally Posted by alanR
I think it would be quite handy to fly Luton to Gatwick outside of a mystery tour, especially if you arrived from the origin and actually wanted Gatwick rather than Luton, or were in Luton and wanted to fly onwards on the same plane to wherever it is going to from Gatwick.

Must be tops 20 minutes by plane and I suspect they don't have time to go above 7000ft. Can they fly straight across London? (in which case it is a sight seeing tour) Or do they risk crashing into the planes making a westbound approach to LHR if they do that?

Originally Posted by mee
Amazing how the boundaries of London have grown - from "London Oxford Airport" in the west to "London Southend Airport" in the east!
Southend is officially part of the London Airport System but Oxford is just jumping on the bandwagon. Like Lydd Airport - London Ashford
Old Feb 17, 2015, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by mee
Tricky one -- its usually not quite a direct train, but needs a change (same platform) at St Pancras
3 direct trains per hour at xx:05, xx:35 & xx:55
Old Apr 26, 2019, 6:33 am

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
EZY9001

on the departures board at LTN today is EZY9001 to LGW

maybe EZY could sell future positioning legs as a London sightseeing flight ?!
Old Apr 26, 2019, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Rather faster than driving from LTN to LGW - or even taking the train.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
look at the flight routing on flight aware - you won't see much of London if anything as it flies well to the east of the M25.

Would be an expensive flight. £ 13 alone on APD plus the airport fees.

And they likely only know about these a couple of days in advance The last one between LTN-LGW was 17th April.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 9:08 am

Programs: bmi DC, BAEC
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
look at the flight routing on flight aware - you won't see much of London if anything as it flies well to the east of the M25.

Would be an expensive flight. £ 13 alone on APD plus the airport fees.

And they likely only know about these a couple of days in advance The last one between LTN-LGW was 17th April.
London sightseeing flights are bloody expensive !

although you do actually get to see London !!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.