Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel Rec in Edinburgh

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2015, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM/AA Gold & 1MM/HH Gold/Marriott Titanium
Hotel Rec in Edinburgh

I will have 2 nights but 1 full day in Edinburgh before heading to a conference in Aberdeen. I can use points with Marriott, Hilton or Starwood. Any recommendations? Walking distance to the train station is probably preferred. Thanks!
Old Feb 12, 2015, 9:50 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
How nice a hotel are you after? How many points are you looking to spend?
Old Feb 12, 2015, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gagravarr
How nice a hotel are you after? How many points are you looking to spend?
I got lots of points so happy to spend
Old Feb 12, 2015, 11:07 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
For Starwood, your one and only option is the Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa. That'll cost you 12k points a night. It's located on Festival Square, by the Usher Hall, looking up at the castle. From the station, you're looking at a 15 minute relaxed walk, or a quick taxi ride. It's fairly handy for most of the places you'd want to go. Rooms are large and nice, the spa / pool / gym very good. Food is good, and they have an excellent G&T selection of premium boutique gins and tonics in the bar

Hilton wise, you've three options. Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian is 50k points/night, DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Edinburgh City Centre is 40k and at the moment the Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor is a very good at 30k.

The Grosvenor is very close to the other Edinburgh station, Haymarket, which is 2 minutes by train from Waverley and served by some long distance trains as well. Allow an extra 10-15 minutes walk to get to the sights, 10 minutes to the main shopping area, or hop on a bus. Very nice breakfast, friendly staff, rooms are in an old and classic hotel style, but recently done up and in good condition. I like it, but there are mixed views on the HHonors forum master thread, seems to depend what you're after. (No fancy spa)

The WA is pretty close to where the Sheraton is, so similar kind of distance/walk/taxi from the main Waverley station. Looks nice when I've walked past, but the lack of free breakfast for HHonors Gold or Diamons at WAs coupled with higher prices means I've never tried it.

The Doubletree is just along from Grassmarket, so quite a good spot during the Edinburgh Fringe Festival for proximity to venues. Less handy for the station though - the castle mound is slap bang in the middle of your way! Expect a moderate taxi ride, or a 25-30 minute walk with hills to get there. Fairly handy for the castle and some of the museums, bit of a trek from the main shops around Princes Street / George Street. I haven't stayed there, but the bar was quite nice when I went for a drink there.

(I don't know anything about Marriots, sorry)
Old Feb 12, 2015, 11:27 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
For Starwood, your one and only option is the Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa. That'll cost you 12k points a night. It's located on Festival Square, by the Usher Hall, looking up at the castle. From the station, you're looking at a 15 minute relaxed walk, or a quick taxi ride.
Depends on the station : 15 minutes relaxed walk from Haymarket, and 20 minutes brisk walk (1.1 miles) from Waverley.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 11:45 am
Original Poster

For Starwood, your one and only option is the Sheraton Grand Hotel & Spa. That'll cost you 12k points a night. It's located on Festival Square, by the Usher Hall, looking up at the castle. From the station, you're looking at a 15 minute relaxed walk, or a quick taxi ride. It's fairly handy for most of the places you'd want to go. Rooms are large and nice, the spa / pool / gym very good. Food is good, and they have an excellent G&T selection of premium boutique gins and tonics in the bar

Hilton wise, you've three options. Waldorf Astoria Edinburgh - The Caledonian is 50k points/night, DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Edinburgh City Centre is 40k and at the moment the Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor is a very good at 30k.

The Grosvenor is very close to the other Edinburgh station, Haymarket, which is 2 minutes by train from Waverley and served by some long distance trains as well. Allow an extra 10-15 minutes walk to get to the sights, 10 minutes to the main shopping area, or hop on a bus. Very nice breakfast, friendly staff, rooms are in an old and classic hotel style, but recently done up and in good condition. I like it, but there are mixed views on the HHonors forum master thread, seems to depend what you're after. (No fancy spa)

The WA is pretty close to where the Sheraton is, so similar kind of distance/walk/taxi from the main Waverley station. Looks nice when I've walked past, but the lack of free breakfast for HHonors Gold or Diamons at WAs coupled with higher prices means I've never tried it.

The Doubletree is just along from Grassmarket, so quite a good spot during the Edinburgh Fringe Festival for proximity to venues. Less handy for the station though - the castle mound is slap bang in the middle of your way! Expect a moderate taxi ride, or a 25-30 minute walk with hills to get there. Fairly handy for the castle and some of the museums, bit of a trek from the main shops around Princes Street / George Street. I haven't stayed there, but the bar was quite nice when I went for a drink there.

(I don't know anything about Marriots, sorry)
Wow, great info, thanks!
Old Feb 12, 2015, 11:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
Depends on the station : 15 minutes relaxed walk from Haymarket, and 20 minutes brisk walk (1.1 miles) from Waverley.
I guess from whichever station I can take a train to Aberdeen. Or do the trains stop at both?
Old Feb 12, 2015, 1:12 pm

Aberdeen trains will stop at both Waverley and Haymarket. Some will start in Waverley, so you'd have more luck getting a seat there if you hadn't reserved, some will start in London so it'd make little difference. Well, except that Advanced Purchase tickets are often cheaper on the East Coast London-Edinburgh-Aberdeen for intra-Scotland journeys!
Old Feb 12, 2015, 4:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
The Marriott is out closer to the airport. It's on the route of the express airport bus though, but still involves a 20-30 minute bus ride to and from the city centre. Probably not worth the hassle.

And remember there's also the tram as well.
Old Feb 12, 2015, 7:09 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the feedback!
Old Feb 19, 2015, 4:00 pm

Programs: UA-1K; Marriott Platinum; National Emerald Exec Elite; Avis President's Club (whoopdidoo)
Have not yet been, but will be staying at the Glasshouse using Marriott points (Autograph Collection). The location looks good.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 9:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, TG Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Plat
Did not realise that the Glasshouse is now part of Marriott.

The Glasshouse is rather modern and trendy; especially if you can get a suite. All suites are named after Scotch whiskies and each suite has a decanter that said Scotch for your consumption.

While the reception is on the ground floor, all rooms are on the third floor (cinema on floors in-between). Rooms will face inwards to to roof garden/terrace or have a balcony facing the road.

It is relatively close to Waverley Station but is a steep walk downhill to get there and a steep walk uphill to get to Waverley Station and the Royal Mile. Lots of resturants on the ground floor that cater for the cinemas. It is also beside the Edinburgh Playhouse Theatre.
Old Feb 20, 2015, 11:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
Pah! Steep?! This is Edinburgh.

(Yes actually it is. I get a bus up the hill )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.