Lgw to london

Old Jan 22, 2015, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Smile Lgw to london

Hi we are going to London in late April, MCO to LGW getting in at 8:45AM. What are my choices to get to the HI Mayfair in London?
Old Jan 22, 2015, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Originally Posted by zowieboy
Hi we are going to London in late April, MCO to LGW getting in at 8:45AM. What are my choices to get to the HI Mayfair in London?
Have a look at this thread for a start:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/u-k-i...on-guides.html

Do you want to take pubic transport, taxi, car service, uber?
Old Jan 22, 2015, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Lwg to london

Thanks i looked at that site and saw info about Airport Direct taxi service. I think a taxi will be the way we want to go. I am going to email them for info. What do you think about Airport Direct service to the hotel?
Old Jan 22, 2015, 11:39 am

You'll save a lot of money for very little extra hassle by taking the train to London and then a short cab ride. Take the Gatwick Express (nonstop and there's always one waiting for you in the station), or the Southern train (a little slower and cheaper) to Victoria. Each one goes frequently, usually every 15 minutes. There are cab ranks in Victoria station, and you'll be in Mayfair in ten minutes (with good traffic) from there.

The station in the airport is inside the South Terminal, where Virgin Atlantic arrives.

Of course, if you want to save even more money, you could take the tube one stop from Victoria to Green Park, and the hotel is within a block or two; but with heavy luggage that's probably not the best choice. (Tube to Green Park would be the perfect route to that hotel from Heathrow, though, just in case someone in the future is searching!)
Old Jan 22, 2015, 11:55 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Even with luggage, I'd always get the train, and a cab onwards. The drive in from Gatwick is mostly on surface streets (however promising it starts out) and is tedious, slow and unpredictable. There are lifts/elevators at Gatwick Airport station, and Victoria is all on the level. It couldn't be simpler.
Old Jan 22, 2015, 12:07 pm

Programs: BAEC; LH M&M; HH Diamond
I'd agree with everything written above the Gatwick Express goes every 20 mins or so and is far quicker than any kind of road transport and significantly cheaper.

The Mayfair Hilton, where I have stayed several times, is a charming London town hotel that doesn't really resmeble the usual Hilton - more like a private town-house in attractive Mayfair mews.

And it really is within spitting distance of Green Park tube staion, which is one stop from Victoria, where the Gatwick Express arrives.

Also they usuall allow early check-in there (helps if you have status and have been there before). I once managed to get my room at no extra cost at 8 in the morning after a very early TATL arrival at LHR (which btw is a terrible journey into that part of town compared with LGW).

Good luck!
Old Jan 22, 2015, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Wow thanks for that info. The train maybe the way to go.. Also can anyone tell me the difference between anytime single and single first class?

Last edited by zowieboy; Jan 22, 2015 at 2:01 pm
Old Jan 22, 2015, 4:38 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by zowieboy
Wow thanks for that info. The train maybe the way to go.. Also can anyone tell me the difference between anytime single and single first class?
Outside of peak times, it's mostly the size of the seat. During peak times, on trains that start outside of Gatwick, it's the ability to get a seat. Well, that, and at least twice the price...

(In airline terms, Anytime Single = flexible economy, Anytime First = flexible business, Advanced Purchase Single = non-flexible non-refunable economy etc)
Old Jan 22, 2015, 4:39 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
The National Rail Enquiries Which Ticket is Best page provides links to details of all the different ticket types and their costs/benefits/restrictions
Old Jan 22, 2015, 7:21 pm

Word of caution: The trains are *packed* heading out of London southbound in afternoon rush hour and the reverse in the mornings.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 12:12 am

The trains may be packed in rush hour, but the road congestion through South London is even worse. I would always be on the train.
I wouldn't pay first class. The first class section is tiny, just a few (not especially large) seats. You're not guaranteed a seat in first even in there in rush hour. Outside of rush hour, plenty of room in standard class on the 'normal' Southern trains, which only take about 5 minutes longer than the trains branded express.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 12:13 am

How many is "we"? If three or more, you'll save 1/3 by asking for the Groupsave rail fare.
Old Jan 23, 2015, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all your help. Its just two of us, myself and my wife traveling. We are heading from LGW to London, I guess that is north, at 9:00 AM on a Friday, Will that train be full?
Old Jan 23, 2015, 7:36 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
That'll be fine. Landing at 08:45, I'd count a good hour for immigration, luggage, coffee, etc, and so you'll be past rush hour, and, if you want to be really sure, Gatwick Express trains will be originating at Gatwick Airport at that time anyway.

You'll get a seat on the Southern services easily at that time too - just leave space for people joining at East Croydon!
Old Jan 23, 2015, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would echo the advice about the train. Even when I lived in S London it would be quicker to take the train to Victoria and then double back to Balham than battle through the traffic in a very expensive cab.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.