Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

LHR <--> LGW connection, MCT, transport, etc. (merged threads)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 25, 2015, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
LHR <--> LGW Connections Thread
London Heathrow and Gatwick Airports Connection, Transport, Minimum Connect Time, etc.
++++
Edit
This thread & wiki has in some ways been superseded by a new thread (started 28 Dec 2015)
Link-->Heathrow to Gatwick transport options: a pictorial guide
Costs in this wiki-thread will not be current
++++
MCT: British Airways requires a 3 hour minimum connect time (MCT) for LHR<--> connections; some others have a 3:30 MCT. Most would probably recommend four hours minimum if you are arriving from an international flight, and of course, you must retrieve your baggage and take it to the other airport.

If you are booked through on one airline and one ticket, if you mid connect the airline has an obligation to accommodate you on the next flight with availability. For separate tickets on different airlines, the second airline may have no legal obligation to do so.

The fastest and most expensive way is to use a Black Taxi (formal taxi), private hire driver, licensed mini-cab. Most direct and reasonably priced is the National Express coach (bus).

NOTE: If you are traveling Monday morning, Friday or Sunday afternoon or evening, add another full hour for these connections due to traffic congestion.

National Express Coach / Bus

The easiest way to connect is using National Express coach (bus) service. Minimum drive time is 1:15, assuming traffic on the M25 isn't troublesome.

One way is £20, return €40. Runs around the clock, as often as five times hourly. For £5 you can add Flexible Add-On, allowing free ticket change within 12 hours before or after your scheduled time, 24 hour free cancellation, or amend your travel date.

You are allowed two 20 kg / 44 lb bags (airlines will not transfer baggage between Heathrow and Gatwick airports).

Route:
  • Gatwick South
  • Gatwick North
  • Heathrow Terminal 5
  • Heathrow Terminal 4
  • Heathrow Bus Station (Terminals 2 & 3)

http://www.nationalexpress.com/airpo...ick-coach.aspx
UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Rail, Rail & Coach (bus)

There is no direct rail option between LHR and LGW. There are "tube" (underground) to rail, rail and rail connected by tube, bus and rail combinations. These will take longer than National Express coaches, will require connections that may require stairs, changing platforms and walking.

Perhaps most convenient:

1. Take the Tube to Hammersmith station
Change to a District line train to Victoria (Should take 50 minutes or so)
£4.50 if paid in cash, £2.40 if you have an Oyster card

2. onward via Southern train from Victoria to Gatwick Airport (Should take 30 minutes)
£11.90 on the day itself , (but if you book in advance and take a booked train, you can get this down to £5) (seanyjmuc)

Cheap: Tube / London Underground (Travel Zone 6) has several stations at Heathrow, serving the Picadilly Line: LHR T-2 and T-3 are served by a station accessible by walking a pedestrian subway; T-4 and T-5 have lower level Tube Stations. From LHR take the Tube to Victoria station or London Bridge station, then either Southern Railway (from Victoria) or First Capital Connect (from London Bridge) to Gatwick. (Or reverse.)

Be aware of occasional stoppages or station closures. Check ticket prices and book at www.nationalrail.co.uk - Single "Advance" fares from London to Gatwick are around £5. (Reason077)

Cheaper: X26 Terminal 2-3 bus stop to East Croydon, train to LGW (or reverse). (alanR)

Tube to Olympia or West Brompton, then train to Clapham Junction and on to LGW. Not going into zone 1 (Earls Court is a both zone 1 and 2) will reduce tube travel cost. Seems the direct trains are gone so a change is required at Clapham Junction. (YVR Cockroach)

OR better still, change at East Croydon (if you get the hourly direct Milton Keynes-EC train) where there are ramps for those with luggage. Changing at Clapham is horrible as it will involve two sets of steep steps, a narrrow subway or footbridge and many grumpy commuters. (Swanhunter)

Cheapest: Bus 285 from Terminal 2-3 Bay 20 to Feltham, connect at Clapham Junction (2 trains). (mickeypops & RichardInSF)

London Taxi ("Black Cab")

At LHR there are taxi ranks for Black Taxis, which are spacious and accept passengers with disabilities including wheel chairs and a goodly quantity of baggage. AtvLGW, which is not in London, there are no Black Taxis; check at Information desks about securing a taxi.

In both instances, plan on paying £100 or more for a transfer; minimum transfer times are 45 minutes.

Tariffs: There are three tariff times, each progressively costlier
  • Tariff 1: Monday to Friday 06:00 - 20:00
  • Tariff 2: Monday to Friday 20:00 - 22:00
  • Tariff 3: Saturday and Sunday 06:00 - 22:00 and Every night 22:00 - 06:00 and public holidays

Extra charges: All extra charges must be revealed at start of trip
  • £2.40 minimum charge
  • £2.00 telephone or online booking charge
  • £2.80 mandatory charge starting at LHR taxi rank
  • £4.00 holiday charge 20:00 on 24 - 06:00 on 27 Dec, 20:00 31 and 06:00 on 2 Jan.
  • For credit or bank cards, charge of the higher of £1.00 or 10% of the metered fare
Minivans, Private Hire, Limos and etc. will generally not accept credit or bank cards and will require cash in UK £ / GBP only.
Print Wikipost

LHR <--> LGW connection, MCT, transport, etc. (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2010, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

Cheapest way to get from LHR to LGW

Even if it takes 3h.
I have 5h to kill between my 2 flights, and wanted to get from LHR to LGW.

Any advice for frugal traveler? : )

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 25, 2015 at 5:29 pm Reason: Restore original post content
Old Aug 6, 2010, 3:42 am

Tube to Victoria or London Bridge station, then either Southern Railway (from Victoria) or First Capital Connect (from London Bridge) to Gatwick.

Check ticket prices and book at www.nationalrail.co.uk - Single "Advance" fares from London to Gatwick are around £5

Avoid the Gatwick Express if you want cheap fares - its much more expensive and only faster by a few minutes.

Last edited by Reason077; Aug 6, 2010 at 3:47 am
Old Aug 6, 2010, 5:17 am

The cheapest known way is to take the X26 bus from LHR to East Croydon, then train to Gatwick

But that gives an excellent chance of you missing your onward flight - as frankly does any method except the direct coach or taxi.

5 hours may seem a lot of time but the MCT on BA is 3 hours and no-one in their right mind would allow any less than 4
Old Aug 6, 2010, 12:09 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

The next cheapest is the bus/taxi to Feltham rail station, then train connecting at Clapham Common. Under normal circumstances this will come close to the direct bus timing and will beat it if there is significant traffic on the M25 (which is quite common).
Old Aug 9, 2010, 12:28 pm

Programs: British Airways Executive Club Gold, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
The next cheapest is the bus/taxi to Feltham rail station, then train connecting at Clapham Common. Under normal circumstances this will come close to the direct bus timing and will beat it if there is significant traffic on the M25 (which is quite common).
I'll second this route - pretty reliable.

You'll want bus no. 285 from the Central Bus station which serves T1/2/3, Stand 20, direct to Feltham Station, runs every 8-10 minutes and has a 24 hour service (less fequent through the small hours though.)
Old Aug 9, 2010, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

www.nationalexpress.com is reliable and cheap and has buses leaving every 10-20 min for the approx 1 hr trip.

MisterNice
Old Aug 9, 2010, 11:19 pm

Originally Posted by MisterNice
www.nationalexpress.com is reliable and cheap and has buses leaving every 10-20 min for the approx 1 hr trip.

MisterNice
This is the route everyone knows. Cheap is a relative term, but I think all of the other suggestions above are cheaper than this bus.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Another alternative is tube to Olympia or West Brompton, then train to LGW from there. Not going into zone 1 (Earls Court is a both zone 1 and 2, will reduce tube travel cost. Seems the direct trains are gone so a change is required at Clapham Junction.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 8:35 am

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Do you mean Clapham Junction?
Old Aug 10, 2010, 10:20 am

Originally Posted by Disco Volante
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Do you mean Clapham Junction?
Yup, sorry! I guess it's a bit hard to change trains in the middle of a huge park.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 10:59 am

As OP only has 5 hours between flights I personally wouldn't recommend any other way except the quickest one through National Express - Minimum Connection Time is 3 hours - and that doesn't even allow for immigration / collecting luggage, so 4 hours is a more realistic time.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 4:23 pm

Again, if there is a major mess on the M25 -- unprecedented though that may be -- the train will be faster. Even without the major mess, it should be about the same I think, although it requires noticeably more skill in manoevering the UK transit system.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
Again, if there is a major mess on the M25 -- unprecedented though that may be -- the train will be faster. Even without the major mess, it should be about the same I think, although it requires noticeably more skill in manoevering the UK transit system.
In my experience a major mess on the M25 is pretty much a given, though it's possible that my presence jinxes things. (It has been known to do that in other contexts, such as picking a lane at toll booths or supermarket checkout.) If you absolutely have to be there on a schedule, I'd vote for any of the rail options as being much less subject to major delays even though under ideal conditions the direct bus may be a bit faster.
Old Aug 13, 2010, 4:55 am

Programs: BA Silver, IHG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, Avis Preferred Plus, Amex Plat
Short of walking, the cheapest way is of course to hitch-hike.

I've never hitched from LHR before, but I did once get a lift with a from MAN to somewhere near Leeds. He gave me a running commentary, in gripping detail, on the building of the M1 extension.

From T123, I'd imagine the best place to position yourself would be just where the M4 spur starts.
Old Aug 23, 2010, 9:39 am

Programs: *A Gold; OW Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Hyatt GoldPassport Platinum; Accor Silver
Originally Posted by mad_rich
From T123, I'd imagine the best place to position yourself would be just where the M4 spur starts.
Something tells me that the police would not like hitchhikers standing on the M4 spur. Still, I may be wrong.

Anyway, best route in my mind would be

1. Take the tube to central London
Heathrow to Hammersmith station on Piccadilly line
Change to a District line train to Victoria
Should take 50 minutes or so
£4.50 if paid in cash, £2.40 if you have an Oyster card

2. Take the train from central London
Southern train from Victoria to Gatwick Airport
Should take 30 minutes
£11.90 on the day itself
(but if you book in advance and take a booked train, you can get this down to £5)

The National Express coaches will take around 1.5 hours but cost you around £20

Again, some of these prices can be reduced further if you book ahead.

Good luck!

Last edited by JDiver; Sep 25, 2015 at 9:16 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.