Tipping in USD at LHR?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tipping in USD at LHR?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2015, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Raffles
not throwing money around willy nilly in the US, except in obvious places.
What's your tipping strategy in the US? I pretty much only tip taxis and in waiter service restaurants.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Raffles
Since I read a news story about a hotel doorman who earned over $100,000 a year including tips I have lost any sense of guilt about not throwing money around willy nilly in the US, except in obvious places.

I have seen people tip the doormen at Harrods Ł20 in London which is totally unfathomable, but it's not my money .....
I witnessed a woman at a WHSmiths bookshop at LHR trying to tip the cashier. Perhaps she was simply trying to unload unwanted sterling, but the girl behind the counter was first at first confused, later embarrassed.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 6:35 am

Programs: BAEC (Gold), PC (Plat), HH (Gold), MR (Gold)
Originally Posted by Genius1
What's your tipping strategy in the US? I pretty much only tip taxis and in waiter service restaurants.
That's pretty much all that's expected.
Old Jan 2, 2015, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: BA, VS, HH, IHG, MB, MR
That's about it! Which is of course the same as I do in the UK ...
Old Jan 7, 2015, 10:58 am

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
I witnessed a woman at a WHSmiths bookshop at LHR trying to tip the cashier. Perhaps she was simply trying to unload unwanted sterling, but the girl behind the counter was first at first confused, later embarrassed.
Maybe the woman was just grateful she didn't have to try and use one of those awful self-pay machines.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 11:18 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Captain Schmidt
Maybe the woman was just grateful she didn't have to try and use one of those awful self-pay machines.
For that I'd be willing to pay a sizeable amount of money.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 11:55 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by mfkne
For that I'd be willing to pay a sizeable amount of money.
Would you like a giant chocolate bar for Ł1 with that sizeable amount of money?
Old Jan 7, 2015, 12:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

This is correct. The other usual instances are if someone carries your bag, i.e., skycap outside an airport or a porter or shuttle driver, or someone cutting your hair. Simple, really, and it puzzles me how hard this seems to be for many travelers to figure out.

IMO, anyone requiring wheelchair assistance should not feel obligated to tip anywhere; they've got enough hassles of their own already, and at least in the US the wheelchair drivers get paid at least minimum wage.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 12:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
...getting close to evolving into another tipping thread...
...must avoid the temptation to get trapped in it...
Old Jan 8, 2015, 3:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by Captain Schmidt

That leads me to ask if the trinket-free (and self-pay free) WHS "books only" shops have disappeared from LHR. I understood the T5 one was closed for remodelling - but I think it's off the map altogether now. I've not been through T1 for some time.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 4:19 am

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
That leads me to ask if the trinket-free (and self-pay free) WHS "books only" shops have disappeared from LHR. I understood the T5 one was closed for remodelling - but I think it's off the map altogether now. I've not been through T1 for some time.
Now that you mention it, I don't recall seeing one for some time, though I also haven't been through T1 lately. Shame as it was the only decent bit of WHS left. I struggle to see them surviving much longer in the 21st Century - it's become a very painful retail experience.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 5:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I'd be amazed if WHS survived another two years. The shops are so depressing and directionless. Another retail failure about to happen I'd say.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 5:29 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by stut
Would you like a giant chocolate bar for Ł1 with that sizeable amount of money?
Only as long as it's not considered an unexpected item in the bagging area
Old Jan 13, 2015, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Tipping in the UK in USD? Please don't. It's a pile of hassle for the recipient to convert.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold, SQ Gold, KQ Platinum, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Gold, Marriott Silver, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Simple, really, and it puzzles me how hard this seems to be for many travelers to figure out.
I think the US tipping culture is very different from the UK. I only ever tip taxis, waiter service restaurants and haircuts in the UK and Western Europe - I would never tip porters/bellboys/concierges etc. Percentages are also different - 10% in a restaurant is usual in UK/Western Europe, whereas 15-20% is more the norm in the US.

Originally Posted by LondonElite
I'd be amazed if WHS survived another two years. The shops are so depressing and directionless. Another retail failure about to happen I'd say.
Completely agree. There is a Twitter feed from 'WHS Carpet' which is quite funny - their shops are in a dreadful state (with the general exception of airport stores which have to match the standard the airport operator sets).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.