Wiki Posts
Search

disgusting toilet cleaning techniques by LHR T5 personnel

Search this Thread

Old Nov 30, 2014, 3:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA/OW Sapphire, TK/*A Gold
disgusting toilet cleaning techniques by LHR T5 personnel

so while I was waiting for my bags at T5 last Wednesday I popped to the toilets (mens). A cleaner staff was busy mopping the floor around the urinals. Nothing wrong with that and thanks very much.
Afterwards I proceeded to wash my hands but what I saw let me re-consider the idea: the cleaner staff lifted his mop (a proper one, good 2.5 feet long) of the floor, went to the hand wash basins and proceeded to rinse the mop under the fairly short taps. Mop touching two sinks and run-off soiling both sinksin the process. I mean, can it be more disgusting?
I watched him continuing to mop the floor not having bothered to clean off the sinks. I asked him whether this was general practice, if he didn't have a bucket to rinse his mop and whether he knew how disgusting and, frankly, dangerous it is what he did there. He just smiled slightly embarrassed, shrugged, said "don't know" and went on mopping. Note that there were many more "customers" around so it wasn't that the guy was doing this sneakily but rather matter-of-factly.
I tried to find a supervisor or another person employed by the airport but the only people in uniform, BA staff and customs, were not able to point somebody out so I just left it at that.
I thought only NHS hospitals would have hygiene and cleaning standards drawn from 18th century manuals. Very sad and astonishing to see a supposedly first world nation's "gateway to the world" being so negligent.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 7:02 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Costco Executive Member, Safeway Club Card
Oh my gross!!!! AHHHHHH!
Old Nov 30, 2014, 7:40 am

Programs: BA Blue, Virgin Flying Club, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis Preferred, National Emerald, Dr. Oetker Speciale
Originally Posted by overseasplease
I thought only NHS hospitals would have hygiene and cleaning standards drawn from 18th century manuals.
My experience of NHS hospitals has been excellent.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA/OW Sapphire, TK/*A Gold
Originally Posted by tony flynn
My experience of NHS hospitals has been excellent.
good for you
Of course this was a bit exagerrated and tongue-in-cheek but we do know about the problems there. Of course, it depends on which hospital, how closely you look and, sometimes, how lucky you are.

The point here being that nowhere should anyone rinse a toilet floor mop in or over public hand wash sinks and get away with it.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 10:03 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Welcome to the world of outsourced cleaning, where the big players offer cheap rates by paying as little as they legally can, put barely achievable time constraints on the work, use zero hours contracts, and whatever they can to make every employee completely replaceable.

Is it any wonder you end up with stuff like this?
Old Nov 30, 2014, 11:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I hope you have contacted LHR directly about this. There is a 'contact us' on their website.

It is all very well posting on here but direct contact is far better
Old Nov 30, 2014, 12:10 pm

Programs: BA Blue, Virgin Flying Club, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis Preferred, National Emerald, Dr. Oetker Speciale
Sorry guys but I call BS.
Old Nov 30, 2014, 1:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Surprising given that they always have a mop bucket contraption on wheels that seems to get in my way.
At least the floor got a clean. ^
Old Dec 1, 2014, 1:33 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
I would definitely urge the OP to contact HAL about this immediately. If true it's very disturbing... And I cerrainly have no reason to question the veracity of the OP.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 4:34 am

I agree that in my experience with the NHS, standards are way higher than depicted in the media. Other visitors were the only dirty buggers who didn't wash their hands or use the ample disinfectant provided by the hospitals.

Re the original issue, of course it's disgusting and the airport owners are responsible for providing these facilities for cleaners. The cleaners themselves earn next to nothing and they probably don't care.
More generally, public toilets are filthy places. Even if you wash your hands, others don't and their hands end up on the door handles, as well as the banisters, lift buttons, etc. etc. elsewhere.

The airport owners probably don't really care though. They're not interested in "trivial" things like this.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 6:00 am

Originally Posted by ppp909
I agree that in my experience with the NHS, standards are way higher than depicted in the media.
Totally OT, but we need a separate thread on the NHS. My son needs to see a pediatrician and we got the letter yesterday - they should be able to schedule an appointment for him within the next 18 weeks..
Old Dec 1, 2014, 6:06 am

Originally Posted by VivoPerLei
Totally OT, but we need a separate thread on the NHS. My son needs to see a pediatrician and we got the letter yesterday - they should be able to schedule an appointment for him within the next 18 weeks..
Feel free to start one! I suspect they're being generic and referring to the 18-week pathway for consultant-led treatment.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 6:09 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Shouldn't a thread on the NHS belong in OMNI?

The OP should have taken a video.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 6:26 am

NHS discussion/debate would definitely be OMNI. NHS advice has its place here, I think - I can always move it on if the discussion becomes more general.

However, I fear we are getting off topic for this thread (unless the OP has developed some infection as a result and needs hospital treatment...)
Old Dec 1, 2014, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
I hope you have contacted LHR directly about this. There is a 'contact us' on their website.

It is all very well posting on here but direct contact is far better
Completely agree. Here is the link, horse to water and all that:

http://www.heathrowairport.com/help/contact-us/feedback

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.