Wiki Posts
Search

IrishRail Weekly Options

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2014, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire, National Exec, AA Plat
IrishRail Weekly Options

I'm fairly familiar with train travel in Ireland, but one thing I can't find on their website is the cost of a weekly pass.

I arrive on a Saturday and leave the following Sunday. Arrive in Dublin, and hope to go to Cork, Tullamore, Galway, and maybe a few others.

Anyone know what the best pass option is, if there is one? Or am I better just booking individual trips as needed?
Old Nov 17, 2014, 7:52 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
The two passes offered by Iarnód Éireann are the Trekker and Explorer passes - details on this page. The latter can include bus transport, which you may find very useful in rural areas, and to prevent doubling back.

As you're based in the US, you also quality for Eurail passes, detailed here. Have to say, they don't look particularly good value compared to the 'official' ones.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Thanks, I saw the irish rail link you posted. Trekker and Explorer may be an option.

I also saw the weekly pass. It looks like (if) this makes sense, I'd have to do a regular ticket for my Saturday travel, and then start the weekly pass on Sunday. Any idea how much these sale for?
Old Nov 17, 2014, 8:15 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
The weekly pass is, as I read it, a point-to-point or zonal (around Dublin) season ticket (i.e. for commuters) rather than a network-wide pass. So probably not that useful for you, unless all your travels will be in a straight line.

(If it's anything like the UK, a weekly pass will be roughly the cost of 4 flexible peak-time return tickets, or slightly less.)
Old Nov 17, 2014, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Ok, thanks. Perhaps that's where I was getting confused. Appreciate it!
Old Nov 17, 2014, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by stut
As you're based in the US, you also quality for Eurail passes, detailed here. Have to say, they don't look particularly good value compared to the 'official' ones.
I price UK (and more recently Irish) rail travel on the local sites against RailEurope deals quoted in dollars for Americans, and only once have I not observed a large disadvantage to going with RailEurope. Not particularly good value, hardly ever.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 3:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
If you can commit to certain trains ahead of time you may be better off booking them online at www.irishrail.ie from €9.99 per one-way journey.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 5:12 pm
Original Poster

Yes, some are 9.99, but others are not, and they're adding up quickly. That's what I have done in the past.

So far, I'm thinking Dublin to Cork, Cork to Tullamore, Tullamore to Dublin, and then a few day trips out of Dublin to random places.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 5:03 pm
Formerly known as ahoban

Programs: BA Silver, Star Alliance Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus
You're more than likely best off booking individual tickets. However the 9.99 fares are few & far between.

It might however be an idea to mix individual IrishRail & Bus Eireann tickets to see if you can save anything?

There isn't a line from Cork to Tullamore AFAIK. So it'll more than likely require heading back to Dublin to change lines. A result of most rail lines starting in Dublin.
Old Nov 25, 2014, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by TangoThree
There isn't a line from Cork to Tullamore AFAIK. So it'll more than likely require heading back to Dublin to change lines. A result of most rail lines starting in Dublin.
You do not have to go all the way to Dublin, a change in Portarlington will do the trick.
Old Nov 26, 2014, 3:00 am
Formerly known as ahoban

Programs: BA Silver, Star Alliance Gold, SkyTeam Elite Plus
Originally Posted by stifle
You do not have to go all the way to Dublin, a change in Portarlington will do the trick.
Learn something new everyday, IrishRail only ever give me the option online of routing back to Dublin

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.