Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OT: Eric "Winkle" Brown, Test Pilot Extraordinaire

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2014, 4:24 am
Original Poster

Thumbs up OT: Eric "Winkle" Brown, Test Pilot Extraordinaire

Slightly OT, but surely of note to those with an interest in British aviation or planning on visiting the various aviation attractions in the UK on their next visit.

Radio 4 celebrated its 3,000 edition of Desert Island Discs by featuring Eric "Winkle" Brown, a most humble individual who probably did more to advance jet aviation than any other man alive today.

The radio show should be easily accessible wherever you are on the planet:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04nvgq1

There was an excellent TV documentary aired during October all about him, which you can see clips from here:

www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01ztws0

Well worth raising a glass to him when the Monopole is next inflicted on you at 30,000 feet. He really should have a knighthood.

You can see many of the aircraft he tested at the excellent Imperial War Museum, Duxford in Cambridgeshire which is a must for anyone visiting the UK:

www.iwm.org.uk/visits/iwm-duxford

Last edited by oscietra; Feb 26, 2016 at 7:25 am
Old Feb 24, 2016, 2:49 pm

Programs: BAEC
RIP Eric Brown.

I met Eric on a number of occasions and his book "Wings on my sleeve" is a really good read, I cherish my autographed copy. Pity he wasn't knighted for his services to UK aviation, some blooming pop singer or radio presenter gets one but not a true aviation legend.

I know that Eric was Royal Navy but, Per Adua ad Astra, fellow aviator.
Old Feb 26, 2016, 7:17 am
Original Poster

Thanks for bringing this thread back up - an inspirational, and modest, individual well worth learning more about.

How lucky he was to be active right up to a few weeks before he died.

His obituary can be read here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obit...-obituary.html
Old Feb 28, 2016, 7:03 am

Programs: BAEC
Just read the obituary, some things in there that I didn't know. I attended a dinner at Farnborough a few years ago at the unveiling of the Cody monument, Eric was the after-dinner speaker and was well received. My favourite bit was Eric describing a phone call from a Senior Navy Officer:-

SNO "Can you land a Mosquito on a carrier"?
Eric "Yes, of course I can"

Eric then went on to tell us "I'd never even seen a Mosquito, didn't know what one looked like". To me, this sums up his unquestioning self-belief in his flying abilities. No one had successfully landed a Mosquito on a carrier, most landings ended up with the tail being ripped off and it was widely thought in aviation circles that wooden aircraft were not suitable for carrier deck landings. Eric proved them wrong.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.