Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Who is on the 30 strong waiting list for Heathrow?

Who is on the 30 strong waiting list for Heathrow?

Old Nov 9, 2014, 12:28 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HHonors Diamond, IHG Uninspired, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, UK AMEX Plat
Also, as those who've read the T5 security is a total disaster! thread over on the BA forum will know, for various reasons (incompetance? unofficial industrial action? not caring?) Heathrow is currently unable to deliver a fast+effective security experience with just 2 runways. Given how bad it is with 2 runways, if they added a 3rd and the additional flights that go with that, you're going to need to be turning up the day before to get through security in time...
Old Nov 9, 2014, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
There really is very little point is just building a 3rd runway at LHR and then filling it with flights.

Part of the issue with LHR is that it is running at 98% of capacity compared to 75-80% at FRA, AMS and CDG which gives very little flexibility when there are any sort of problems. It might also improve the on-time records of airlines too (though of course not all on-time issues are down to the airport most are with the airlines and their passengers)

There probably needs to be another terminal as well - perhaps a mega one serving US flights only that could (obviously with Governmental approval) offer pre-clearance

So yes use some of the new capacity for slots for new routes - and they must be for new routes only and especially to places line India, China and South America and if an airline can't make that route work then they have to give them up and not just swap them to another one. That might spur some actual competition between existing and new airlines.
Old Nov 9, 2014, 9:36 am

I love it: "gumming up" an airport. ASK the people who RUN that airport if they see arrivals and departures as "gumming" it up. It's called REVENUE GENERATION without which there would BE no LGW
Old Nov 9, 2014, 4:24 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gagravarr

Assuming HS2 eventually gets built, if you included a link to Heathrow and ran a sensible number of trains there with through ticketing much like TGVAir offers, there's probably then another 20 slot pairs available for current domestic flights which'd be under 2 hours by high speed train.

It would need some joined-up thinking, some copying of the French, and some pragmatism, so I can't see it ever happening
If we had maglev trains the same could also be said for ultra high speed rail direct into LHR from GLA, EDI, MAN, LBA, NCL potentially freeing up almost 100 slot pairs.

You could buy a British Airways or Virgin Atlantic ticket from Leeds to Los Angeles, jump on a fast train from central Leeds straight into LHR and check in for your flight.

However a third runway would be cheaper and quicker to build than a decent high speed rail network. Although I think Britain deserves both, it probably wont get either. Our politicians are far too short sighted for grand projects like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.