Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

Ebola screening at LHR UK Border: starts Tuesday

Old Oct 14, 2014, 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by paulwuk
Last time I went through Red there was a piece of paper saying closed, use the other one.

The other one had a piece of paper saying "use the phone"
Quite. I can almost see the Daily Mail headline:

Last line of defence against UK! Ebola!! horror!!! - a piece of paper and a telephone
Old Oct 15, 2014, 2:26 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Sigwx
I was under the impression that the 'facilities' had been installed ever since H1N1.....or whatever it was called. The white arches with IR sensors at the entrance to customs channels are the temperature monitoring points......unless of course I was sold a duff cookie on that one.
Retrieve your money for the duff cookie. They are radiation detectors.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 2:46 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
was reading in the paper that the team doing tests at LHR consists of 3 people which hardly seems a lot to handle daily influx of passengers.

and the questionnaire sounds a bit like the US one: are you a criminal? do you have infectious diseases? etc
Old Oct 15, 2014, 2:57 am

Is there any clarity on where in the airport they are going to interview/test pax?

Logic would suggest testing as close to the arrivals gate as possible ... so that means they're probably going to do it after the baggage hall by the customs point
Old Oct 15, 2014, 3:30 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer

It's just the SN flights that are being targeted. It's now quite tricky to fly long haul from the 3 countries affected by the pandemic.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 4:02 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It's just the SN flights that are being targeted. It's now quite tricky to fly long haul from the 3 countries affected by the pandemic.
So does that mean everyone coming from BRU gets extra attention now?
Old Oct 15, 2014, 4:39 am

Originally Posted by shorthauldad
So does that mean everyone coming from BRU gets extra attention now?
Officials are meeting the SN flights, but according to the Telegraph version of this it is on a "haphazard and voluntary" basis. Officials are shaking the hands of those passengers they go to interview, though the WHO says that's not problematic for anyone not showing advanced symptoms. The checks at departure in Liberia are reported to be far tougher, as you would expect.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 5:08 am

Programs: SQ-PPS+8, BA-Mucci Diamente, Mucci Siegneur des Bains Chauds
I have flu and will be coming into T3 later. A shame Ebola screening isn't there as I may have had a check up just to be on the safe side.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 5:38 am

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by VC10 Boy
I have flu and will be coming into T3 later. A shame Ebola screening isn't there as I may have had a check up just to be on the safe side.
If you have flu you won't be getting out of bed, let alone posting on flyertalk.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 6:03 am

Programs: SQ-PPS+8, BA-Mucci Diamente, Mucci Siegneur des Bains Chauds
Ah, must be Ebola then. I was dragged round a shipyard this morning and it was quite chilly
Old Oct 15, 2014, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by VC10 Boy
Ah, must be Ebola then. I was dragged round a shipyard this morning and it was quite chilly
Let me do your diagnosis by internet for you: you have man-flu (otherwise known by its technical term, the sniffles). The diagnosis of flu is that there is a 50 note fluttering around your back garden and you couldn't care less. Get well soon.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 9:39 am

Programs: BA Gold, IHG Platinum, HH Diamond, Hertz PC,
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Let me do your diagnosis by internet for you: you have man-flu (otherwise known by its technical term, the sniffles). The diagnosis of flu is that there is a 50 note fluttering around your back garden and you couldn't care less. Get well soon.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 10:11 am

This should have been in the UK forum for starters.
May we remind again that the BAEC forum is not the generic forum or UK forum as some members would like it to be, it seems (not directed at OP).

Thread moved.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 10:19 am

UK Airport Questions

Coming from an African country do you have diarrhoea - hmmm, bet that symptom is unusual
After spending 10 hours or more on a plane plus several hours in airports having got up at some ungodly hour to travel to an airport do you have a headache, intense tiredness or exhaustion - hmmm, another rarity.

After time spent in unfamiliar buildings, trying to sleep in cattle class and using an aircraft loo do you have bruising - oh that's an unusual one

On a bad day I could have all the symptoms in section 4 without - ahem - breaking sweat.
Old Oct 15, 2014, 1:01 pm

I've just watched a news report on Sky News that said that the second nurse to be confirmed with Ebola flew her outgoing journey 4 days before and her homeward journey 1 day before presenting with Ebola symptoms, the report said that there was 'low risk' to the other passengers on the flight because she wasn't contagious when she flew..... The reporter then went on to say that she (and the first nurse that contracted the disease) came into contact with the Liberian man 3 days before he showed symptoms.... Surely this is a contradiction as to at what point the disease can be passed on?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.