Ebola screening at LHR UK Border: starts Tuesday

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ebola screening at LHR UK Border: starts Tuesday

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2014, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by catandmouse
In theory none, at least if they did it whilst people were standing in line waiting.
How? Are they going to put members of staff in the queues?
Old Oct 14, 2014, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by Roger
Simon Calder on the phone to LBC said that the only flights of interest were those connecting on the same airline with flights from the affected areas. At T1 this morning, that meant a single flight: Brussels Airlines from, er, Brussels.

However, having sussed that out, journalists were prevented by 'security' (HAL?) from pursuing this and reporting.

Good to have a 'free' press.
From pursuing and reporting what exactly?

Originally Posted by bugsy
With such a limited test group (there were only a few does of the various drugs available as they are all still in preclinical stages of development) it's hard to say for sure if the drug had anything to do with the recovery of those being treated.

My understanding is that the mortality rate isn't as high as some previous outbreaks (figures I've seen put it at around 50-60% but ofc those are official figures and the real toll could be much higher), however with so many more infected the death toll is higher than previous outbreaks, even if the mortality rate is indeed lower. When you also add in the fact that most (if not all) of those receiving the drugs are also being treated in world class facilities outside of west africa, it's entirely possible that they would have recovered even without the drugs.

Also wasn't that the guy in Texas that died being treated with ZMapp plus I'm sure I read somewhere that one of the other patients who died outside of West Africa (in europe maybe) was also being treated with another of the drugs under devlopment.

All that being said, the development of such drugs can only be a good thing, even if it's likely such research will be completed too late for the majority affected by the current outbreak.

I read an article stating that the WHO believes that in order for this outbreak to be checked, at least 70% of those infected are being treated and quarantined in treatment centres however, currently only around 20% of those infected are in such facilities, with many more being turned away due to lack of beds...a situation that won't improve without assistance from outside the region.
The mortality rate is about 70% at the moment (latest WHO figures as of today). Not that it would be as high in the West as we have much better medical facilities.

I agree with you about the drugs though. They look promising but they haven't been tested anywhere near as well as they normally would have been so there's no certain way of saying just how effective it is. Shame the West won't put as much effort into humanitarian programs as they do into waging war.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 8:04 am

Programs: ABBA
Originally Posted by shorthauldad
How? Are they going to put members of staff in the queues?
That sounds dangerous, putting them amongst the hoards of people with ebola

I assume this screening is just a temperature reading that you get at airports in the far east?
Old Oct 14, 2014, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by paulwuk
That sounds dangerous, putting them amongst the hoards of people with ebola

I assume this screening is just a temperature reading that you get at airports in the far east?
And a "risk questionnaire". See the article for details.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by callum9999
The mortality rate is about 70% at the moment (latest WHO figures as of today). Not that it would be as high in the West as we have much better medical facilities.
Better medical facilities? The treatment protocol for Ebola (according to the CDC) is as follows:

Providing intravenous fluids (IV)and balancing electrolytes (body salts)
Maintaining oxygen status and blood pressure
Treating other infections if they occur
So that's a drip and electrolytes. Pretty advanced, huh?
Old Oct 14, 2014, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Better medical facilities? The treatment protocol for Ebola (according to the CDC) is as follows:

Such facilities are really pushing the limits of the state medical care in west Africa at the moment, which is on the brink of collapsing under the strain, so I really don't understand what your comment is intended to mean.

In Monrovia, patients are regularly turned away because there are insufficient beds for them to use. (http://www.news24.com/Africa/News/Be...wards-20140928)
Moreover, patient isolation efforts are substantially better in the west, where we have an abundance of isolation wards. Ill-equipped Liberian medical staff have been threatening to strike over the danger they face. 93 nurses and doctors have been infected so far. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-29591805

Resources previously allocated to malaria control have been completely redirected into controlling this outbreak. (See, e.g., http://www.nature.com/news/ebola-out...fforts-1.16029) Malaria drugs that are available are no longer being distributed in Liberia because there are insufficient trucks to move them.

And of course western patients have preferential access to experimental treatments.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by Calchas
Such facilities are really pushing the limits of the state medical care in west Africa at the moment, which is on the brink of collapsing under the strain, so I really don't understand what your comment is intended to mean.
Instead of listening to FTers, why not find a microbiologist and talk to them about how they would treat Ebola - pretty sure the answer is going to be the same as the CDC's i.e. "fluids and salts". It's not exactly a high-tech treatment.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 3:08 pm

I was under the impression that the 'facilities' had been installed ever since H1N1.....or whatever it was called. The white arches with IR sensors at the entrance to customs channels are the temperature monitoring points......unless of course I was sold a duff cookie on that one.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by Sigwx
I was under the impression that the 'facilities' had been installed ever since H1N1.....or whatever it was called. The white arches with IR sensors at the entrance to customs channels are the temperature monitoring points......unless of course I was sold a duff cookie on that one.
Border Force aren't anywhere near the customs channels, are they?

from http://www.bbc.com/news/health-29605988:

Under the new UK screening measures, they will be identified by Border Force officers upon arrival. Nurses and consultants from Public Health England will then carry out the actual screening.
and from http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...port-measures:

Ebola screening confusion on day one of new Heathrow airport measures

No 10 says tests are compulsory but health secretary says passengers from Liberia, Guinea or Sierra Leone must volunteer
Old Oct 14, 2014, 3:13 pm

True, but then the BBC are not the best reporters. I imagine it will be Port Health doing the screening.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)

and from http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...port-measures:
Border Force includes customs for some reason. If you look at the customs signs there's a Border Force logo on it.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by layz
Border Force includes customs for some reason. If you look at the customs signs there's a Border Force logo on it.
Q: When did you last encounter anyone 'staffing' the Green (or Blue) customs channel?
Old Oct 14, 2014, 4:03 pm

Programs: ABBA
Q: When did you last encounter anyone 'staffing' the Green (or Blue) customs channel?
Last time I went through Red there was a piece of paper saying closed, use the other one.

The other one had a piece of paper saying "use the phone"

Managed to find the phone, then a grumpy person said he'd be right out.

10 minutes later he turned up. At least 2 people had come through the red channel by that point and just carried on through.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 4:22 pm

You're really that ignorant of the state of medical facilities in parts of Africa? Perhaps you have an explanation as to why so many people are dying in their homes with no medical treatment? Why on Earth are countries sending thousands of troops over there to help as well? Just ship some drips and electrolytes and they'll just sort themselves out.

And where it this "high-tech" argument coming from? I didn't say more technologically advanced - I said better. Though that most certainly isn't "the treatment protocol", it's a very simplified list. Take a look at the Ebola facility in London and try and tell me it's just "a drip and electrolytes"...
Old Oct 14, 2014, 4:29 pm

ESTA application form has now been amended to include the question "Do you intend to bring the Ebola virus to the U.S.?"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.