Wiki Posts
Search

arrgh, booked HEX single in the wrong direction

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2014, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold
Unhappy arrgh, booked HEX single in the wrong direction

I've just realised my mistake on an advance purchase ticket (don't ask )

The customer service lines are closed so I have to wait to tomorrow in order to speak to someone. What are my changes of simply getting the direction changed on the ticket?
Old Oct 9, 2014, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
Iirc, HEX tickets are valid either direction. Or did that change?

Fully transferable. From the FAQs:
What do I do if I have made an error with my booking and entered an incorrect name, date or direction?

Heathrow Express tickets are fully transferable. Providing the ticket is within the validity period, the name, date or direction on the ticket does not matter.

Promotional tickets may have restrictions so please refer to terms and conditions of the promotion.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

never mind, google eventually came up with the answer

What do I do if I have made an error with my booking and entered an incorrect name, date or direction?
Heathrow Express tickets are fully transferable. Providing the ticket is within the validity period, the name, date or direction on the ticket does not matter.

Promotional tickets may have restrictions so please refer to terms and conditions of the promotion.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
Iirc, HEX tickets are valid either direction. Or did that change?
'would appear so, but initial googling didn't tell me that
Old Oct 9, 2014, 1:32 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I've used it in the wrong direction and its fine. In my case there was a service interruption on the date of purchase so I just used it a day later in the wrong direction, using the App, and all was well. I just wish the online services accepted railcards, but that seems almost beyond the scope of HEX's abilities.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
I think it's a deliberate decision by HEX not to accept railcards on their machines as it would be trivial to add to their vending machines as all National Rail machines can do this.

If you're starting at Paddington the solution is easy. Purchase your HEX ticket from the National Rail (FGW) machines and select a railcard.

If you collect loyalty points through a train operator (eastcoast.co.uk for me) you can book your HEX tickets through there (destination Heathrow Rail) and collect from the FGW machines.

This is not possible if you start at Heathrow. You'll need to use the ticket desk.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 3:17 pm

Programs: I go wherever the content takes me.
Originally Posted by layz
I think it's a deliberate decision by HEX not to accept railcards on their machines as it would be trivial to add to their vending machines as all National Rail machines can do this.
Part of me thinks that it's to stop those with limited English from getting into a spot of bother. Many people will select "16-25 railcard" or "Senior railcard" believing it to be simply a discount for being a certain age. In reality you need to have purchased the entitlement to the discount by having a railcard first.
Old Oct 9, 2014, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
Originally Posted by paul4040
Part of me thinks that it's to stop those with limited English from getting into a spot of bother. Many people will select "16-25 railcard" or "Senior railcard" believing it to be simply a discount for being a certain age. In reality you need to have purchased the entitlement to the discount by having a railcard first.
Well considering on national rail machines you need to press a button labelled 'Railcards' and then each railcard has a picture of the card next to it I can't imagine it's too much of an issue.

Back in my bmi days (From T1) I had a few instances of either immoral or clueless HEX ticket office agents. One lied to me when the final train was a Heathrow Connect that it was a HEX and charged me appropriately, another a few weeks later claimed they couldn't do railcard discounts.
Old Oct 11, 2014, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by layz

This is not possible if you start at Heathrow. You'll need to use the ticket desk.
The annoying ticket sellers in the arrivals hall will also do Railcard discounts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.