Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

What would you do with a 9 hour layover?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What would you do with a 9 hour layover?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2014, 4:15 pm

Do what you like, even if you have unusual interests. For example, seeing a particular plane at the RAF Museum or seeing a copy of the Magna Carta at the British Library is a niche interest. Eating or shopping appeals to some.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 4:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
Thorpe Park or Coworth Park SPA

You can go to Thorpe Park for the day.

www.thorpepark.com

Otherwise book a treatment or Spa day at Coworth Park nr Ascot. Whilst there you will have full access to the facilities inc pool, steam room, sauna, gym and even the cafe. Then in the main house you can eat in the main restaurant or indulge in afternoon team before returning to LHR for your early evening flight.

http://www.dorchestercollection.com/...pa-hotel-ascot

Last edited by icegirl; Sep 22, 2014 at 4:40 pm
Old Sep 23, 2014, 10:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CL87
Do what you like, even if you have unusual interests. For example, seeing a particular plane at the RAF Museum or seeing a copy of the Magna Carta at the British Library is a niche interest. Eating or shopping appeals to some.
Thank you! I love all these ideas. Even if I can only choose one it will at least help me the next time I am in London.

Originally Posted by icegirl
You can go to Thorpe Park for the day.

www.thorpepark.com

Otherwise book a treatment or Spa day at Coworth Park nr Ascot. Whilst there you will have full access to the facilities inc pool, steam room, sauna, gym and even the cafe. Then in the main house you can eat in the main restaurant or indulge in afternoon team before returning to LHR for your early evening flight.

http://www.dorchestercollection.com/...pa-hotel-ascot
Oooh I love amusement parks. I am going to Budapest staying at a spa hotel so I probably will not be into that for my layover. Thanks for your recommendations.

I think at this point I am leaning toward Windsor and getting a private car to pick me up and return. I'll probably check out the castle and walk around the outside and stop for a bite at a pub. Then head back to the airport. I have only ever been in one other castle and it was Chillon outside of Montreux. It will be neat to check out a different castle.

I went to Windsor and ate at The Two Brewers last time. It was quite good. I'll probably try another pub this time.
Old Sep 23, 2014, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
If you are thinking about the bus, there are 4 an hour, even on a Saturday (it's a bit less frequent early on but that's before you'll arrive).

The 71 and the 77 both run this route and they're pretty evenly spaced leaving Heathrow.

Looks like they use stop no. 9 at Terminal 5 which is right behind Costa Coffee.

If you do decide to book a car, I'd just get that one way from the airport to Windsor. It will be easy to get back to the airport afterwards - wherever you have lunch will be able to book that. Should be cheaper and will give you more flexibility.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 12:47 pm
Original Poster

Any suggestions for a cab company to use for Windsor?

Also if I prebook the cab from LHR to Windsor in advance how much time should I allow between landing and clearing immigration to get to the driver?

Do the taxi companies check flight status and adjust their arrival time as to not pay extra for waiting fees if my flight is late?

Should I book a return trip as well or just grab a cab in Windsor when I am done sight seeing? I saw some companies give a discount if you book a return with them.
Old Sep 25, 2014, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Can't really comment very well on cab companies; I tend to use my local one in south-east London when I travel or else Addison Lee who are great but on the expensive side.

Assuming you're a US national I would allow 60 minutes.

Most decent cab companies will keep an eye on whether your flight's delayed.

If you have a good idea of when you'll want to be coming back, book a return trip. Otherwise don't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.