Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Europe > U.K. and Ireland
Reload this Page >

UK Passport renewal when residing abroad....any experience?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

UK Passport renewal when residing abroad....any experience?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2014, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by flyingbee
Things are possibly improving at the passport office. I put the application in the post in France for my daughter's first passport at the beginning of August and I was shocked to receive the passport last week, just 4 weeks later. Clearly sending documents to France is different to Argentina in terms of timescales but the time for the passport to be issued is relevant. Everything was sent back to me by DHL.

Other expats I know have arranged to do renewals while they are in the UK. That requires some pre-planning to call up at the right time in advance to get an appointment.
On the other hand, the issuing of a first passport generally takes longer (or at least we are told to allow longer for it) than a simple passport renewal.
Old Sep 17, 2014, 10:02 pm

Just want to vote for same-day passport as well.... I did it last year and it was totally worth it. No sense in trusting a foreign post office.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Yes especially with the import restrictions in place. The customs people even opened an envelope containing 50 pipe cleaners which my brother in law had sent me.
Passports being issued at foreign missions get sent in diplomatic bags so customs can't touch them.

Nevertheless I concur with the suggestions above about using the same-day service whilst visiting, unless you need to have your application countersigned.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.